Social life in Riyadh for western expats?

Hello All.

Ill be moving to Riyadh in Jan and wondering what the social scene would be? Also why is it that most expats prefer drivers rather than getting their own cars in saudi?

I struggle with this issue all the time - I bought a Jeep earlier this year and drove for awhile - it's crazy insane driving and you have to be very defensive and watch around you all the time... But I enjoy the excitement and thrills...
   Still, it's almost inevitable you will get in some sort of fender-bender at some point...  Honest Taxis (make them use the meter or refuse to ride!) are cheap and cars are expensive in comparison - even with very cheap gas... Used cars all need major work - few service their cars properly here - the dealers are to blame - terrible service depts...  And you can rent a basic car here for 1,800/mo - which includes insurance and maintenance (not much, but it's not yours...).   I'm spending more than that per month on car repairs - gas seems free at these prices - but forget that benefit - it's all the other stuff - radar boxes everywhere and those are 300sr each time it flashes - I'm careful but one or two a month are almost the norm...
   But ask me later when my Jeep is restored and I've just returned from a weekend off-roading in the desert - maybe it will all be worth it!  MikE

#thanks Mike. Interesting ..
I am prepared to accept flashes and odd nifs nafs and what I call 'Magical Scratches. i.e appear when you are not around your car.
Totally agree with dealer service levels are notoriously low grade across the middle east..it was only three days back that I took me car to the dealer for major service, got car back with a note that there is a nail stuck in Rear L.H side tyre..took the car to the tyre repair ..checked and found nothing..went back to dealer they said oopps sorry it was Front R.H side tyre..just  a small error you know 'Sir'.
Having lived in UAE for 1.5 years have made me familiarise with some of the above stated'Jollies' usually termed as 'Culture Shock' , hopefully it won't be extremely shocking?