Police keeping track of foreigners & employers having to register them

Yesterday, the cops came to my work place. But they had copies of my passport and all went well. Not sure what that was all about?

Is this common?

Just wondering.

you could have ask them.

hs0zfe wrote:

Yesterday, the cops came to my work place. But they had copies of my passport and all went well. Not sure what that was all about?

Is this common?

Just wondering.

It's not unusual for them to just turn up at your house as well, just explain you don't speak Viet, and they won't stay long.

[ Moderated: inappropriate post ]

The Cong An have all manner of duties from enforcing crime legislation through inspecting sewers through inspecting cranes. They are the bureaucracies answer to everything.

They are like municipal inspectors in other countries.

Even though VN is big on paper records, they are quite effective and efficient. There are many inspections you are likely unaware of including occupancy, employment, verification of business filings, etc.

You will notice that non-police types dressing like Cong An often lack red flashes around the neck and collars. Firemen, too, dress like Cong An, but no flashes.

The Cong An also have 'security guard' types that are rented out and others who are dressed in overalls carrying wooden clubs - you will see these in some areas where they can't get a place for a store front station.

The Cong An also have 'security guard' types that are rented out and others who are dressed in overalls carrying wooden clubs -
I saw these bloke " trying " to control traffic during the Autumn Festival here, I thought they were cadets/trainees, they didn't have a clue what to do, just stood there, until a car came along, and then they suddenly parted the m/bs, so the car could get through. ( i didn't see any money change hands though ).

bluenz wrote:

... others who are dressed in overalls carrying wooden clubs -
I saw these bloke " trying " to control traffic during the Autumn Festival here, I thought they were cadets/trainees, they didn't have a clue what to do, just stood there, until a car came along, and then they suddenly parted the m/bs, so the car could get through. ( i didn't see any money change hands though ).

These characters know how to, and do use, their wooden clubs. Some Cong An call them 'our thugs'. They are worse than warm, body guards as they have no concept of what they are about except they have a phone line to the local CA office.

They aren't even trusted with two-way radios, even the cheapies from China. The Motorola radios are Tetra (fully encrypted) - they cost a lot of money.

hs0zfe wrote:

Is this common?

Just wondering.

Yes, it is normal. Just remember that you dont have to show up in such a case, your employer should be in place. Of course, when being summoned, you can predict a problem arised.

Happened twice already for me. I offer coffee until my wife arrives and then I go and walk the dogs. Now it's almost 5 years, they did not come along

It's usual. As long as your visa is active, no thing to worry. :-)