Labour Card Rights

I would like to ask if its our rights not to surrender our Labour Card here in Oman to our employers. Please we need your help with this matter. We need to defend our side.

Hi mex08,

Resident Card, aka the Labour Card is your very own personal identification card which you are expected to carry with you all the time. You will be asked to produce it as your first proof of identification as a legal resident in case of any issues like a road accident, or to enter into most corporate offices, or to buy a SIM card, or a mobile phone, or to open a bank account, or to transfer funds, or whatever other things you would want to do legally while in Oman, up to the point of your departure from the airport.

So there is absolutely no questions of your employer asking for your personal identification card to be handed over to them. It is entirely your property, not to be shared even with your own spouse ! And no employer would ever ask for your resident card to be surrendered to their 'safekeeping'.

What you are probably confusing with is your passport, which is also as much your own personal property, but provided by your country or origin. But then most companies do take possession of their employees passports here in Oman once they arrive. Though it is totally illegal, it is a normal and done thing - in most of the companies, not all.

Giving it a racial colour, most of these companies which do take possession of their employees passports do so only with their Asian employees and not with the western (read 'white-skinned' employees'). There is no disputing this fact, since what I am saying is the truth.

@Mex : The employers generally keep a copy of your labour card in their file, but never the original, it is too risky to actually hand over the Labour card. Its an essential part of daily life in Oman and there is also a mandatory rule from the ROP to carry it at all times.

I really appreciate the information you shared. At least with the information you gave would help me and my colleagues to defend our self if in case they are forcing us to take our labour card. Again, thank you

Thanks Rammy, I really appreciate for the information. Indeed, this is very important to keep our labour card because it is our identity. Thanks again.