Pets and Quarantine

hi everyone,
We have decided to move to Mauritius for the beginning of the school year September 2011 so we still have time but I like to be organised so my question is as follows. 3 months seems to be an awfully long time to leave my dog and my cat at the kennel. Does anyone have any experience with bringing their animals? If so, did they have to stay the full 3-month despite having all the correct papers?
I would appreciate any feedback in this regard,
Thank you,
See you soon in Mauritius!

Hi Nathalie,

We moved to Mauritius in mid-december and flew down from London, UK with our dog. Our dog only had to be in quarantine for 1 month(think this is the same if you come from anywhere in Europe), unlike if you come from SA. We visited him everyday, brought him food and even got the workers there to provide him their food so he had ample. All in all, we were satisfied with the conditions, had no choice really :) Obviously, would rather have him home with us instead of quarantine :) However, we did get him out slightly earlier than the 30 days, think it was few days before the 30 days was up. Can't remember. And this was in spite of having all the correct paperwork and jabs etc. Hope this helps.

For South Africa, the quarantine is 90 days unfortunately.  Well it's more or less, cause you can eventually prove that the pet is in very good health (while it's in quarantine).  The Vets are also very sensible to animals, and once they see that the little friend is getting depressive, they will let it go home.

Thank you for your responses guys - can't wait to be in Mauritius :)!

Natalie, We are doing the same. Our little Daschunds arrive in a month for quarintine :( So we will be visiting every day!

Good luck to you! We are coming to visit Mauritius in December and having our girls assessed at the international schools - once they have been accepted (currently on waiting list) then we start the whole process....
It will be heartbreaking to visit and leave animals behind eveyrday but at least we don't have to leave them back in the home country so I guess that makes it better.
Best of luck to you and let me know your experience!
Ciao Ciao!

hi everyone who have successfully imported their beloved pet, i am due to move to mauritius early in the new year and would love to hear from your personal experiences starting from the basics!where does one get a pet import permit?Thank you

Hello Pinkpoodle, welcome to Expat.com :)
Depending on the country of origin of your dog, the requirements for importing your pet will be different, namely on the duration of quarantine and the type of tests he will have to go through.
The best thing to do is to get in touch with the governmental vererinary services whom's contacts you may find in What about your pets? in the Guide of expatriate life in Mauritius.
Hope this helps
Arlette

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the fees for quarantine for a small dog are likely to be? And also the name of the kennels where they are held.
Thanks
Donna

Hello Donna,
The kennels are located in Reduit (a little bit further than University of Mauritius) and if I remember well (it's 2 years ago) I paid around 1500 Rs for my Shitzu!
Cheers
Arlette

Thanks FeeAcer,

My little Westie, Harvey,  will be 10 years old by the time we come over and I suppose I'm being a little over anxious about it. We couldn't bear to leave him behind. Just trying to find out as much as I can before we put him through it all. Wonder if you could answer a couple more questions for me. Are the visiting hours quite generous? Are there places to walk them? I've also heard conflicting stories regarding the length of time they have to be in quarantine. We are coming from the UK and I've heard stories ranging from 4 weeks to 6 months! Is it possible to view the kennels on-line?

Would also be grateful for any adivce you could give me regarding transportation from the UK.

Really appreciate your help, thanks so much.

Donna

Hello again Donna,
I can't seem to remember the visiting hours, only that you can't visit on Sunday and not after 03:30 pm. They have 2 or 3 places where you can let your dog running around freely. You may bring his favourite food or they can be fed by the food which is provided by the kennel. The place is shabby but kept clean by the personnel. In the summer months it is a little unbearable (for us humans) due to the smells :( There's no website unfortunately.
Duration of the quarantine depends on the country of origin and if it is rabies free or not. I think for Europe it is one month (to be checked with the Veterinary services (check the link I gave you above) but best would be to call them (ask for Mr Gunnes (pronounce Ganesh)) as they don't always respond to emails.
Have a good evening further
Arlette

Thanks Arlette,

That was really helpful, You've really cheered me up! I was dreading having to leave him in quarantine for SIX months!!!

Will give them a ring nearer the time,

Thanks again, it's so kind of you to take time out to answer all these questions.

Donna

You're most welcome! However, please do not wait till the last moment to contact the Vet services as you must comply to a battery of (blood) tests to be done (they will send you the list of requirements together with the request for import permit), your dog must also be microchipped. I'd say you contact them about 3 months before your expected time of importation to Mauritius.

Well i cant believe what i have just been told just now as i called the vet office > They are not allowing any dogs into the country until further notice following an incident.I was told that all dogs applications were pending... and i could not make a fresh application. does any one know anything more about this?

Oh gosh! Now I'm really worried, has anyone else heard anything about this? No way can I leave him behind!  Was even thinking of getting a play mate for him! I'm sure it's just a hiccup and they'll sort it soon (hopefully!)

I feel your pain, my world feels like it has just collapsed right now,we are due to move in january and if it normally takes 3 months to process the paperwork then with this restriction in place, we wont be able to go with our dearest little dog.The office was ademant they werent processing any more pets until further notice. not sure what to do...

Hey guys, my predicament!!! We got all the tests and all ready - we moved to Mauritius! We are here and our dogs still in SA!!! :( We desperately trying to get them in. I have been to the DVS, and they say that the law is changing coz of an attack to some children. it was big dogs (like alsatians). So they are in the process of passing a law (I think) that limits the type of dog entering. Small dogs and certain breeds will be allowed. While the law has not yet been passed, they are with-holding any applications. So this is as it stands right now!
Will keep you updated on the situation!

I really feel sorry for your dogs and you! I know how it feels to be seperated from them :(

keno wrote:

... coz of an attack to some children. it was big dogs (like alsatians). ...

That happened a few weeks before I left and I recall it was Rottweiler!
I hope the situation will come to good order to you and your pets!
Arlette

I've just had a reply to an email I sent to the Veterinary Services Division informing me that they have 'imposed a temporary ban on importation of pets, in context of upgrading the related laws'.  They say if you need more information to contact the Ministry of Agro Industry and Food Security.

So sorry to any of you that have moves planned soon. Lets hope they get their laws sorted pretty quick. Does anyone know how the Mauritians are at doing this sort of thing? Are they pretty laid back or are they likely to be on the case pdq?

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately... I don't know if they are fast on this. I will try to inform though!

Well, i told my husband today if the dog doesn't go neither to I, lol! Hope it's sorted soon!

heard that they are sorting this in the next week. We are here already waiting for our dogs. SO I will know the minute they sort it out and let you know. Advisable to get the dogs tested soon though. It takes roughly 4 months!!

Oh great news! That is quick! Hope you get your dogs soon. Will definately get Harvey ready for his move in plenty of time. Trying to talk my husband into getting another before we come over, we always have had two, and I think at least they will be company for each other while in quarantine! Wish me luck! (I'll need it, lol!)

I've been informed that the law itself will change.  So, I'm just wondering whether those planning to import their pets shall do the test or wait until new law comes out.  It could be that all tests done during this 'transition' period would prove to be useless.

No decision had been made yet. The fact that the dog which attacked the kids a few months ago has attacked someone again and has been put down will not help the process. I am afraid that authorities will decide against the importation of dogs to Mauritius. It seems very likely unfortunatly.

not what i have been told by the minister of agriculture. he mentioned that there will be a ban on certain vicious dogs. As I enquired about my daschunds, and he said that it should still be ok.

Hi Al,

Wish they'd sort this out! Typical government, everything takes so much time!

I've just emailed the Veterinary Services Division again, will let you know if I get a reply.

Donna

On the French side of the forum, it's the same I heard till now that the ban remains on pure breed dogs!

Donna, some things can be very slow in Mauritius but trust me it could be worse. I was angry more than once when I was living in Mauritius and I had to live in another african country to  realise that it could be worse.
The subject is very sensitive and the government is currently facing the public opinion with the two dogs who have been put down this morning. So I think that it might take a few more days before they make a decision but I could be wrong.

Thanks Melissa,

Luckily for me I won't need to bring my dog over until well into next year but it must be heartbreaking for those trying to bring them over now.

Will keep on the case!

Donna

Keno it confirms what I was saying earlier. I don't want to be sound negative but from my experience a petition to the Prime Minister won't help much.

Hi there,

Has anyone got an update on the situation? 

Thanks

Donna

hi Donna,
Tried to apply this week but they came back and said that there are not doing any imports until the laws have been converted/changed - to what extent it will be changed, I don't know.... so still waiting.... :(

Thanks Nathalie,

Just have to keep waiting then. Wish they'd get on and do it!

Donna

Hi all

According to Lexpress Newspapers, it's goign to take a while for this Law to be voted.Right now I don't think the Ministry's vets are going to allow ANY dog to be brought here.

I'll try to get more info and post it!

Cutting and pasting for MRU government can take ages!

For some reason I read the title of this thread as 'Poets and Quarantine'. Now there's an idea :D

Things do take a long time in Mauritius to change...
I know you love your pets intensely but why not adopt a pet here? There are so many roaming the streets, homeless, and I know that PAWS have many pets up for adoption. They will be put down if not adopted...
I have the opposite problem in that we will be leaving Mauritius in January and I've been trying now for 2 years to find a good home for my cat as we can't take it back to Australia... It is breaking our hearts as time gets closer and still NO interest...
We don't want to have him put down!

If you love your cat so much then surely you understand how we feel about having to leave our pets behind too. Hope they sort out the problem soon and that you find a loving home for your cat.   

Donna