Rottweiler

Hi Guys, I think I am correct in believing I cannot bring my Rottweiler to Mauritius after some research. Why is this so as you are able to buy the breed in Mauririus?

Hi, from what I know you are able to take your dog to Mauritius unless its just Rottweiler dogs that are not granted entry into Mauritius....have a read of this article by Rosiewestie copied below:

"Hi Guys,Sorry this is so long but this is our experience of recently bringing our dogs in Mauritius from the UK,
I think I have listed all the facts but if you think I have missed anything out please let me know or if there are any questions you may want to ask me please do so – I asked many questions during this experience and people were very patient with me My recent experience for bringing dogs from the UK to Mauritius;

From Start May 2011 to August 11
Emailed and rang Min of Agriculture for guidelines etc (Ministry of Agriculture, Veterinary Services, Reduit, Mauritius. Tel: (230) 466662 or email: moa-dvs[at]mail.gov.mu  ( Mr Gunness – direct line: 454 1016 or 1017)– they are extremely busy, and waiting times for this information is long, however go to their website  (http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/moa )and you can download the info you require from there, although sometimes this information will not download, so just keep trying. My husband was at a meeting in Mauritius and personally went along to collect the information – I have copies of all these forms, guidance notes etc if anyone would like them.

UK to Mauritius took about 12 weeks for all injections and rabies passports to be complete- our dogs already had their passports and their rabies booster was not due for another 18 months but they had to have the booster early – make sure your vet stamps the retest section in their passports.

Rabies vaccination must be given no less than 60 days and no more than 12 months. i.e. Barney's 1st ever Rabies vaccination was given 19th May.......Blood must be sent to AHVLA, Addlestone, Surrey.Rabies blood tests must be taken no less than 30 days and not more than 6 months after vaccination. i.e. Barneys blood was taken 22nd June which was 32 days after having the vaccine.Apart from rabies there are 3 other blood tests to take- SAT for Brucella canis Ab, IFAT for canine ehrlichiosis Ab , RSA for Brucella canis Ab– once taken you must then leave the UK within 45 days (obviously you have to wait for the  negative blood tests back) all blood tests must be sent to AHVLA in Addlestone Surrey – no other blood testing agency can be used. Our dogs blood tests were taken on the 18th July, received at AHVLA on the 19th July and we received the negative results back on the 23rd July and then travelled with the dogs on the 9pm flight from Heathrow on the 15th August, landing 16th August.

Your dogs yearly vaccinations must be up to date and check with the vet that they include the following; Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis and Parvovirus as not all do. They must have these.Dogs must be microchipped as this 15 digit number is needed on all paperwork – it must be 15 digits.

We used a pet carrier in the UK as they kept a check on all paperwork and dates to make sure we were within all the Mauritian guidelines, they made the crates to fit each dog and collected them the day before to give them final health checks and flea and tick treatment, this all cost us for 3 dogs about £2,867 GBP. There are cheaper packages but we used the gold service. (Sadly we only brought 2 dogs as our dog Rosie died of heart failure due to undiagnosed cancer 2 days before leaving the UK) There are quite a few Companies in the UK who offer this service the main 2 being: AirPet or PetAir

They booked the flights, organised the permits etc using a Mau Broker – this guy Hurry was absolutely fantastic – he organised everything in Mauritius for the dogs and met us with them at the airport, dealt with Customs, the Vet, and took us to the quarantine all for about £400. GBP. I must stress that you have to have a broker in Mauritius.  If you want Hurry's email please contact me.

Quarantine visiting times are Monday–Saturday; 9-11am and 1-3pm             
                     Sunday and Public holidays – 9-11am

Exercise area: You are allowed 20 mins in the exercise area with your dog but if no one else wants To use it then you can stay in there as long as you want. There are 2 exercise areas. Remember to bring your poo bags to clear up after your dogs whilst in these areas.

Your dog is not exercised whilst in quarantine unless you visit –
They just stay in their kennels – so you really must try to visit them if not daily then at least 3 times per week- the staff are very friendly, the kennels are old but safe and clean.

Kennel costs: Rs 15 per day per animal
Food per day : Rs 25 but you can provide your own food, lots of people leave big bags of dried food there for the kennel men to feed your dog with, although we bring extra food when we visit i.e. some chicken and rice or minced beef and rice or a few sausages 

UK quarantine period is for 30 days.
I think its the same for anyone coming from the EU and 3 months from SA - Please check this as this is what I have been told.  I visit them everyday for a 2 hour session, I take my lunch and have been very lucky to be able to stay in the exercise area. I also leave a bag in their kennel hung up on the inner wall which contains, poo bags, baby wet wipes, balls, towel, leads. Also make sure you leave them some toys to play with in their kennel and their bed or favourite blanket. When you are in Mauritius, remember to keep up to date with rabies and all vaccinations ready to come back to the UK – where I believe if all passports are up to date then they do not have to go into quarantine at the UK.  I think this is fully comprehensive list of what we have recently been through but if I think of anything else I will add to it Last edited by Rosiewestie (25 October 2011 14:03:59)

If this fails to provide the info you need then contact her direct or Julian can always offer advice.

All the best with the process and let me know how you get on!
Natasha