General questions

Hi there, everyone! I'm Katie, 23 years old and go to Bergen a lot, with the goal of eventually moving there. :3 Lovely to meet you all! :D

I'm American, will be graduating with a Bachelor's in Computer Science from an American university in about a year, and wish to move to Norway to work after that time. I will not have job experience in the computer industry (my experience is largely from doing projects at home), but I am also not too picky in the first job I get. I know I must have an offer of employment from someplace before I try to get a work visa, and I'm guessing I have to get this offer while remaining outside of Norway. Or maybe I can still be on a tourist visa here while looking for an offer? Regardless, I will likely move to southeast Asia for a year or two to teach English, and then from that point, will be looking to move to Norway (so in about two-ish years from now). My Norwegian is not fluent but I am definitely at least intermediate.

Just a general question, in case someone knows: What industries would you recommend someone of my little experience to get her foot in the door, who would also not mind sponsoring me and waiting for me to come to Norway? So far I am planning to look into the tourism industry at hotels and whatnot, and maybe work on a computer somewhere in there. I'm thinking that teaching in Asia will maybe even give me at least a tiny boon in the tourism industry.

Thanks for all and any help, all! ^_^

Hello Katie,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Norway forum for more visibility.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

you might want to read through the work permit options on the immigration website:
http://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/work … ion/?c=usa

as an American with no specialized experience, it might be a bit challenging for you. A Norwegian company that wantst o hire someone who requires a work permit has to prove that they can't find the right candidate in Norway or in any of the other EEA lands.

Oil and gas industry hires a lot of people, and the Americans I've met who are here on a work permit (rather than spouse visa) are generally in this industry. I suggest you have a look on linkedin for what jobs are being posted there in the town/city where you want to live.

One thing to keep in mind: Norway slows down tremendously in the summer, especially July, so there might not be so many offers being posted at the moment.