Lombok travel/hotel

Toying with the idea of a few nights in Lombok (other suggestions welcome) when my mother comes over to Indonesia.
I need a flight that isn't likely to crash and a hotel my mother, the fussiest woman in the world, couldn't find anything to complain about.
We're talking nice rooms, western food and easy to walk to the beach.
Mum's 80 and a bit shaky on her pins.

You can fly garuda which should do it. Make sure your mother asks for assistance all the way and she will be well taken care of. My mum was here in May and she was given a wheel chair and pushed about from the plane to meeting me and then when she flew on to Bali again she was very well looked after. Had someone with her until boarded.
Try the Sheridan at Sengiggi. Its right on the beach and quiet.
Are you sure your mum will be ok with the heat? Lombok is very hot most of the time and I think hotter than Bali.

Hey, Santosa hotel is good! Very good! Its in Senggigi.

I think I meant the Sheraton. Blame Jonny Walker for that one

lukereg wrote:

That looks nice

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/ … uage=en_US

Sophie Fisher wrote:

Hey, Santosa hotel is good! Very good! Its in Senggigi.

I believe I could rough it there for a day or two

http://www.santosalombok.com/

lukereg wrote:

You can fly garuda which should do it. Make sure your mother asks for assistance all the way and she will be well taken care of. My mum was here in May and she was given a wheel chair and pushed about from the plane to meeting me and then when she flew on to Bali again she was very well looked after. Had someone with her until boarded.
Try the Sheridan at Sengiggi. Its right on the beach and quiet.
Are you sure your mum will be ok with the heat? Lombok is very hot most of the time and I think hotter than Bali.

We'll be with her so no worries there. She can walk but stairs are more difficult.
The beach looks tree lined, offering lots of shade.
Both of the suggested hotels look pretty great - I think this may be down to the restaurant.

lukereg wrote:

Never had that problem as I don't know Jonny.
However, a brown dude from Newcastle gave me that problem on many an occasion.
What can I say, I was a biker.

When are you guys planning to go? I can PM you some suggestions on Restaurants and hotels. Stayed in Senggigi for a few weeks and tried many restos :D

Well, I can actually write it here.. Haha. Was thinking about sending you pics aswell!

After checking available airlines and flights, and after looking at safety records, it looks as if Garuda, whilst the most expensive, is going to be the best option.
It'll be short of 12 million for all of us to get return tickets.
The other airlines have a less than perfect recent record.
I may pop up to living world to book it in the hope of a deal being available.

Garuda are normally on time, you get fed and they provide better airport services so you will be fine.

Sounds good.
Off to book the flight now and I've selected a nice little hotel based on  reviews, photos, youtube vids and a chat with the people.
Oh, and the availability of chips and sandwiches for my mother who can't eat anything but plain English food.
I'll review it after the holiday.

Sorted.
I popped to Living world mall to book the tickets at Garuda's office.
I have to say, the lady I dealt with was very pleasant and extremely helpful.
She was having a really good go at English as well.Luckily, my Indonesian is getting much better so I filled in the gaps in the local tongue.
The hotel was also very helpful, I'll say more about that later.
So that's that, we're all off to Lombok for a few days of hanging around on beaches and eating by the pool.
My waterproof camera may well see action if I can hire snorkelling gear.

Oh, yes - I got a 10% discount on the flights because I used a HSBC debit card.