What I need to know/to do before an application to IU?

Hello fellows.

Well, here I'm, checking the things I need to know or to prepare to start my studies in Iceland University.

I'm Biologist  from Mexico (Actually living here, in Mexico) and I'm going to apply for a MSc. in Biology; I already chat with a Doctor and he accepted to be my tutor, so I only need the other things (literally ALL the other things :S ).

I don't know how to start! The only one thing I already checked is the IU courses and the scholarship, but I have a little problem, the scholarship application starts in september and finish in november and the application to the IU starts at february... I need the acceptance to the University to apply to the scholarship, so its horrible... hehe Its the only one scholarship that I can apply for, so Do you think/know if in Iceland University Application place can help me to make an early application??

The other question I have is if I need a special "visa" or something like that tu study in Iceland? and is hard to get it?.

I want to know if there is another thing I need to study there? I'm going to start an online course of Icelandic (at least to understand what's going on hehe).

And if there is another tip or hint for me, or maybe another thing I need, feel free to share! or PLEASE share it with me! :)

Take care and have a nice day! :D

hi,

I can't help on the timing of the scholarship vs application- perhaps calling the school will help there? I'm sure you are not the only person who has been in this situation.

as for living legally, you do need a visa. Here's information on the student visa:

http://utl.is/index.php?option=com_cont … 〈=en

if you're accepted into the program you shouldn't have a problem with the visa as long as you have the financial requirements covered somehow.

Hello again.

Thank you very much for your answer!

In fact, I already sent an email to IU to know if I can apply earlier and they already answered (in fact, I checked the email just a few minutes ago). They can't move the application date nor I'm available to do an early application. But the good new is that I can apply in October, just if the Faculty I'm going to apply for, is accepting new students in January 2015 semester, so I have a chance to apply for the scholarship (the scholarship application dates are in september-november, so I have a little chance to apply).

And thank you very much about the student visa stuff, I'm going to check it right away!

So its the only two things I need to be in Iceland, my University acceptation and the visa (I read that I can have a permission to work when I apply for the visa, right?)

Thank you again! :D

AlexGonzalez wrote:

So its the only two things I need to be in Iceland, my University acceptation and the visa (I read that I can have a permission to work when I apply for the visa, right?)

once you've sorted those two things out, there's the next entertainment of finding housing and a job in Iceland. Plenty of threads here on the topic of those though. Neither are the easiest to achieve for new arrivals!

ECS wrote:
AlexGonzalez wrote:

once you've sorted those two things out, there's the next entertainment of finding housing and a job in Iceland. Plenty of threads here on the topic of those though. Neither are the easiest to achieve for new arrivals!

Ohh! Thank you, I think I'll check it that later, first I need to been accepted hehe, I'll have time to worry about that, later haha :)