A question for those of you who provide English tutoring..

.. What has your relationship with the authorities been like?

Have you attempted to establish a legal / registered business?

I would like to start offering my services by increasing my exposure, yet I'm a little hesitant about what attention that exposure may bring. The same questions apply to any cash based business presumably. I appreciate any responses.

Mjr90 wrote:

I would like to start offering my services by increasing my exposure, yet I'm a little hesitant about what attention that exposure may bring. The same questions apply to any cash based business presumably. I appreciate any responses.

There is a member called Anthony, he can tell you all you need to know, he may have succeeded in starting his own school, ( after many headaches ), he has an English Language website which you might find useful as well, If you can't find him here, you can PM me and I'll give you his e-mail address.

Mjr90 wrote:

I am sorry that I can misunderstand what you mean. If you want to ask about how to set up a company, you can do it by yourself or hire a company. For hiring a company with your nationality, the setting up fee is about $500. Don't hire any accountant until it is important. You can use accountant service which costs $15/month. If you are lucky to find a auditing company, they can do accountant paperwork for free while you just have to pay about $300/year for auditing.

Be prepared for many headaches from police and authorities.

Thanks for your information Dejavu.dot, but my intention is just to have students come to my home for private classes, I won't be thinking about setting up a company for some time.
As colinoscapee (great name) said my worry is that this could cause "many headaches from police and authorities".

I suggest you stretch your legs after sit  :)
We cannot predict how it run with profit if you are going to invest a lot for that as you can see so many registered and unregistered 'business' on the same field is trying to get their monthly expenses!
Of course there has other success stories in this field. This need time and more effort to make ' a goodwill'.
Co-operation from the part of 'authorities' ends when your pocket empty. Of course they will welcome you with  a smile and receive 'something' with gratitude  :)

Mjr90 wrote:

Thanks for your information Dejavu.dot, but my intention is just to have students come to my home for private classes, I won't be thinking about setting up a company for some time.
As colinoscapee (great name) said my worry is that this could cause "many headaches from police and authorities".

Oh. Sorry I couldn't catch what you meant. I think if you rent an apartment, there will be no police visiting you.

No. Wouldn't bother setting anything up