A quick guide to Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC), Vietnam

VECs are easily obtainable through any Vietnamese travel agency abroad. But I don't think they issue VECs anymore. But doesn't hurt to try and ask a Vietnamese travel agency for a VEC in NY.

I'm interested in the outcome if you do try.

@tinylichen Might want to find out first if the VEC is still available or has it been replaced by one of the new category's of VN visa's like TT or VR. If it still is a valid program will you be able to still extend it every three months with out leaving VN like in the past (pre-01/01/15). Money wise of course you'd be better off getting it in the States rather than here. you'll need to get 4 visa's total for you and your family just to get here and than apply for a VEC here for 4 more people? Big bucks. As far as the application goes the only documentation  my wife had, she's VK, was her citizen paper, like yourself. showing she came  from Saigon to the USA. It might be worth your time to have a face to face meeting with the folks at the Consulate in NYC rather than trying to deal with them over the phone.

I agree it's worth a visit to the consulate. I'm just curious how they'll take the reasoning of "well, I just want to take a yearlong 'vacation' and have my children get more acquainted with their mother's background and learn the language while we're at it"? I may phone a Vietnamese travel agency to get their opinion too.

tinylichen wrote:

I agree it's worth a visit to the consulate. I'm just curious how they'll take the reasoning of "well, I just want to take a yearlong vacation and have my children get more acquainted with their mother's background and learn the language while we're at it"? I may phone a Vietnamese travel agency to get their opinion too.

Not to worry, they won't ask why you want it but if the question arises say you intend to do a lot of traveling to VN from the States in the next few years.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
tinylichen wrote:

I agree it's worth a visit to the consulate. I'm just curious how they'll take the reasoning of "well, I just want to take a yearlong vacation and have my children get more acquainted with their mother's background and learn the language while we're at it"? I may phone a Vietnamese travel agency to get their opinion too.

Not to worry, they won't ask why you want it but if the question arises say you intend to do a lot of traveling to VN from the States in the next few years.

Rick

Sound advice. thank you!

[moderated: deleted asked by author]

peterpan75 wrote:
tinylichen wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

Sound advice. thank you!

This all sounds too easy....but it doesn't always work. Case in point,  I am a vietnamese american with a VEC not being able to get my renewal here in Hanoi as we speak. I am going in to try my luck hopefully Monday, still don't know what I am suppose to put for my residential address?!

Sigh, your living with your cousin if the head cop buys off on it you might be clear. Anybody asked him yet???  Will he sign off on the form?? 4 Feb ain;t that far off....

I'll PM you later...

My last 2 trips to extend my stay in Vietnam another 3 months both times asked for my marriage certificate. I told them to look at the numerous previous extended stamps I had in my passport. They looked and processed my application.

I think they ask because it's a subtle hint for some tea money. You just have to creatively decline them without making them lose face if you don't want to give anything.

Trying to follow this thread for info best I can because hopefully later this year I will have a VEC through marriage.
Thing is my wife will not be living with me all the time returning to the States for long extended periods [she has both VN and US passports], its pretty much me who will live here full time not her as has been the case for the last 10 years.

So when I hear the word sponsor and signing of the form [in relation to the 3 month stamping of the VEC] it concerns me, if she is not here to sign does that pose me a problem, I mean can her father sign, I actually live in the same property as her family and the dad religiously registers me every 3 months [on a tourist visa] can he do the same for me with a VEC or must it be my wife.

I think you will find that since the first of jan this year everybody on a VEC has to actually exit the country and re-enter every 90 days.I managed to do the round trip to Moc Bai ,Cambodia and back in one day by bus from HCMC.Get a Cambodian visa first and I think it is a 107 or 703 from the Central City bus Terminal.
They are still available if you are married to a Vietnamese person at least and I don't think letters or forms are required after obtaining the exemption although I have just done it once,so it is the first time I used the VEC.
It says in the passport,"IS ENTITLED TO MULTPLE ENTRIES UNTIL........."     and
"DURATION OF STAY DOES NOT EXCEED 90 DAYS FOR EACH ENTRY"

Exit every 90 days? no, you can extend it one time and then you will have to leave.

Then again I mostly always leave to Thailand and have some nice mini holiday visiting my friends.

Wald0 wrote:

Exit every 90 days? no, you can extend it one time and then you will have to leave.

Then again I mostly always leave to Thailand and have some nice mini holiday visiting my friends.

I thought you could renew this every 90 days as what was originally was posted in this thread on the first page. I just renewed mine for the first time recently and proved to be a mission and a half. Will i have a problem the next time I go in to do this?

And what ever happen to extending it to 180 days as this article stated?

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/vi … 36949.html

I think that 180 days is referring to Vietnamese who do not have vietnamese passport, if i remember right they can get 90 days without any visa.. and now 180days.. or something like that .. it did not include VEC

There is a change that they give you trouble next time but you really should ask immigration.
They just might give you normal 90 days tourist visa if they cant extend your VEC.
I actually overstay my VEC 90 days last time of 2 days as I remember the dates wrong.. no big deal but they gave me normal 90 days tourist visa.

Wald0 wrote:

I think that 180 days is referring to Vietnamese who do not have vietnamese passport, if i remember right they can get 90 days without any visa.. and now 180days.. or something like that .. it did not include VEC

There is a change that they give you trouble next time but you really should ask immigration.
They just might give you normal 90 days tourist visa if they cant extend your VEC.
I actually overstay my VEC 90 days last time of 2 days as I remember the dates wrong.. no big deal but they gave me normal 90 days tourist visa.

I really don't understand. I have this VEC because I am a Vietnamese American who does not have a Viet passport.
Stipulations for having a VEC is this which is stated on the first page of this post:

1. A stamped certificate: A visa exemption certificate is stamped on the passports of Vietnamese nationals living abroad and foreign nationals to allow their entrance into Vietnam.
2. Detached Certificate: A visa exemption certificate issued to Vietnamese people living abroad under permanent residents permit granted by foreign authorities and holder of passports of foreign countries or territories with which Vietnam does not have diplomatic relations.

Before this, I had to get a visa to enter Vietnam. How would I apply for this 180 days?

I think this 180 days is about visiting family visa, not VEC
category 14 VR:Visiting relatives, other purpose up to 6 month

Wald0 wrote:

I think this 180 days is about visiting family visa, not VEC
category 14 :Visiting relatives, other purpose up to 6 month

Well, that is one of the main reasons for me to be here is to be near family. I still have no idea how I could make this apply to me as I seem to fit the criteria, oversea vietnamese with no viet passport and have family here in Vietnam to be near.

I believe that is "normal" Visa so you need to apply it. but then again you have to apply one every time it runs out, not sure if they would extend it at all.

good point of VEC is that you get 90 days straight.. then you can extend it with immigration, you should be able to extend it one time.. will ask immigration on Friday after getting my passport back as had to do new VEC as my old passport was expiring.

Wald0 wrote:

I believe that is "normal" Visa so you need to apply it. but then again you have to apply one every time it runs out, not sure if they would extend it at all.

good point of VEC is that you get 90 days straight.. then you can extend it with immigration, you should be able to extend it one time.. will ask immigration on Friday after getting my passport back as had to do new VEC as my old passport was expiring.

Yes, I would appreciate if you keep this post updated with your findings as I would like to know if multiple extensions is possible with this VEC. From my current findings, it seems possible for someone married to a viet citizen but not sure about a viet kieu with a VEC.

peterpan75 wrote:
Wald0 wrote:

Yes, I would appreciate if you keep this post updated with your findings as I would like to know if multiple extensions is possible with this VEC. From my current findings, it seems possible for someone married to a viet citizen but not sure about a viet kieu with a VEC.

Really? So I would be able to extend it while you could not?  That sounds little odd as I thought VEC is the same for viet kieu and people married to Viet citizens.

Wald0 wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:
Wald0 wrote:

Really? So I would be able to extend it while you could not?  That sounds little odd as I thought VEC is the same for viet kieu and people married to Viet citizens.

You would think so but like I said, from my first experience with this, I noticed it was pretty straight forward for the foreigner with the VEC(at least I'm pretty sure that is what he had) in front of me at immigration. Me, not so much. Nothing seems to be clear here, I really wish someone with factual, real info chimed in on this thread as none of the original post with info claiming this and that seem to apply any longer.

My extension was not so straight forward.. I had to first go my local police and get papers from there stating that I live where I live. then after they gave me papers with stamp I could go immigration.. :/ 
but if your residing in HCM you could always go Cambodia boarder and back. In Hanoi this Laos boarder is little too far for me. Even I could do it next time when I decide to go riding my motorcycle.

I have extended my VEC's 90 day requirement 4 consecutive time without ever leaving the country.

In Dong Nai my wife brings a form which I have templated by changing the date to the local police. They stamp it then I bring it to Immigration office. Pay my $10 USD  and get 90 days. Bring another form to police notifying them I'll be staying another 90 days.

Some have been able to extend their VEC's 90 day after January 1st, 2015 without making a border run. I haven't heard anyone that was denied so far.

khanh44 wrote:

I have extended my VEC's 90 day requirement 4 consecutive time without ever leaving the country.

In Dong Nai my wife brings a form which I have templated by changing the date to the local police. They stamp it then I bring it to Immigration office. Pay my $10 USD  and get 90 days. Bring another form to police notifying them I'll be staying another 90 days.

Some have been able to extend their VEC's 90 day after January 1st, 2015 without making a border run. I haven't heard anyone that was denied so far.

Everyone that comments on this post is usually married to a viet citizen, if anyone that is in my situation(viet kieu with a VEC) that can pass some actual current info along, that would be appreciated.

Just did my 3 months VEC extension no problems. Will get it stamped in 7 days for pick up.

Saw a fellow had a few VEC stamps, 1 noticably from Cambodia. Didn't seem to have a problem though don't know if he's married or not.

Has any single VEC holder been rejected? Guess it depends what you put down for your reason staying longer and the immigration officer looking at it.

I have been married to a Vietnamese for over a year now. Have a VEC. I have been extending it every 90 days for $10US….No problems at all. Now it seems they want $90US…..can anyone verify this as being true? Did the rates change recently?

90USD?? no, that is not right.. last time when I had overstay (accidentally) I had to take 3 month tourist visa and that only cost about 30usd or so..
Can't remember exact mount as my old and new passport is still at immigration.
With 90usd I would rather fly to Bangkok and back and have some nice weekend there.

was this in Hanoi?

No here in HCMC? My wife has been doing the renewal process every 90 days…I have no clue as to what she did this time.

She went shopping? Paid normal 10usd and bought clothes for 80usd ?? ;) but seriously 90 seems little too much. Did you get receipt? Or stamp on the passport valued 90usd??

So got my VEC today (renewal) and paid 10usd for it. only thing is that my passport expires 16.02.2020 but VEC is only 16.06.2019! So 8 months before my passport expires! what is really not good as it would mean that I would have to get another passport again 8 months before old expires :/

Yep that's normal. Maximum for VEC used to be 4.5 years or whenever passport expires minus 6 months. I think now they have 10 year passport so it can be a truely 5 year VEC.

khanh44 wrote:

Yep that's normal. Maximum for VEC used to be 4.5 years or whenever passport expires minus 6 months. I think now they have 10 year passport so it can be a truely 5 year VEC.

yes, I know this.. it should be 6 month before passport expire.. but this is 8 months! so not even 4.5 but 4.3.. :/ And at the moment my country only has 5yrs passports even :(

just got my VEC extended another 3 months. 215,000 dong. Don't know what your wife did with the $90 but it's stamped directly saying $10 USD.

Jumpmaster wrote:

No here in HCMC? My wife has been doing the renewal process every 90 days…I have no clue as to what she did this time.

Jumpmaster.,,,Now would be a good time to Jump ship.   Run as far and as fast as you can.
Good luck mate

Just picked up 5-yr VECs for my family and I. I'm told I still need to exit the country every 90 days though. I guess we'll use school breaks as a reason to do mini trips to the rest of SE asia.

I am considering applying for a VN passport but will have to dig up my birth certificate somehow while in VN. Where would I even begin with that??

tinylichen wrote:

Just picked up 5-yr VECs for my family and I. I'm told I still need to exit the country every 90 days though. I guess we'll use school breaks as a reason to do mini trips to the rest of SE asia.

I am considering applying for a VN passport but will have to dig up my birth certificate somehow while in VN. Where would I even begin with that??

Do you not have any family in the area of VN where you are living? I believe they can sponsor you so you should not have to leave the country. It was a bit of a pain for me my first time in the North, that could have been because of Tet but it ended up working out, I am moving down to the South soon to be near more family so hopefully it will be a bit easier down there. Nonetheless, I really hope I don't have issues and have to leave the country every 90 days living here moving forward.

I will have an aunt and cousins! How does the sponsorship work?? I recall reading your posts. Does it just involve us all reporting into a police precinct with family member and signing paperwork every 90 days?

tinylichen wrote:

I will have an aunt and cousins! How does the sponsorship work?? I recall reading your posts. Does it just involve us all reporting into a police precinct with family member and signing paperwork every 90 days?

Where are you located in VN? It was my first time and I was really unsure of the rules but the basic gist was to have them fill out a N5 form that they sponsor you. Not sure if you have to state that you live with them or not but they're local police chief stamps the form.