Moving to Benghazi

Hi,
I am a 29 year old mother from Mississippi thinking about moving to Benghazi. My husband had a job offer in Tunisia but the owner of the company became I'll and so we had to cancel our plans. Now we are prepared for life in North Africa and are looking at Benghazi as the next possible location. We have a three year old daughter and I am a stay at home mom.

Does anyone know of a job in Benghazi for a maintenance manager or something similar? He also has experience building and maintaining swimming pools.

I appreciate any help or advice.

Welcome on Expat.com AmericanMom !

AmericanMom, I can't help with your enquiry about a job but I moved to Benghazi and few months ago and while I'm still finding my feet now I'd be very happy to offer advice if the time comes when you move here :)

Littlespoon,  Thank you so much for being willing to give me some advise when we head that way.  I have a lot of questions.  I have been wanting to work out a budget to see how much everything cost there.  Could you tell me what you know on these items.  2 or 3 bedroom place, food, elct.,gas, water, if you have children school, and language lessons.  If you do not know that is ok.

[moderated]

AmericanMom wrote:

Could you tell me what you know on these items.  2 or 3 bedroom place, food, elct.,gas, water, if you have children school, and language lessons.

for schooling in Benghazi, the only option at the moment is the British School, but it is full.  You need to get an application form and email it to get on the list.  costs are on their website, but I think around £3750 (GBP) per child.  There are no other international schools here at the moment.  There is a kindergarten I know of at 150 LYD per month - if you are here i will give you the contact details. 

Food is cheap, if you don't buy imported stuff; gas (I mean for cooking) is about 2LYD or less per bottle.  Gas (for driving - we call it petrol) is very cheap, but try as we might we haven't found a cheap car yet!  The water is either free or included in our package, and the company pays for our accommodation.

I was in your position before i came out and could find NO information on prices, so if you need any more help let me know.

A word of warning - when people say there is nothing to do out here, that's pretty much the case, and I have a positive attitude to living abroad.  There is very little to do for children except go to the beach, and even that wears thin after a while...

Wildcats has pretty much answered most of your questions. I can't give details about accomodation since that was part of my husbands employment package. There is a post somewhere that gives rough prices for common household grocery items. I can't think what it is called and it's probably a little out of date but it gives a rough idea. You could also trawl through for details about accomodation but keep in mind that Tripoli rates are very different from here.

It isn't easy to find entertainment in Benghazi so bring plenty to do. Wildcats has also posted details about activities for children too. The key is creating yourself a network. It takes time but there are other mothers and kids here so it can be done!

hi all,

similar situation with american mom, only difference i am a turkish dad! is it easy/hard to find a decent accommodation quickly in Benghazi?i will be moving to Benghazi mid september and need to find a decent home before i can bring my wife and son there. would appreciate any comments on finding accommodation and what to expect in terms of housing?

Thanks!

Hi Efeninbabasi!

You could also post under Benghazi Classified (Category - Accomodation).

This might be useful in your search for accomodation.

All the Best!

Sheetul.

Hi! Me and my husband are also looking how to move to Libya. Well, he is libyan, but as anyone else he needs a job :)

Hello,
I think you need to speak to someone who live around the place you want to rent your house. The "mouth to ear" ("bouche à oreille" in french) will be very helpful.
I was looking for a house during 45 days and living in the Dogal hotel (70LYD for a room or 150LYD for a flat) which is located on the front sea (Corniche St.) near the port.
You need at least 2000 LYD per month to rent a good house/flat with 2 or 3 bedrooms and reception room (with furniture).
A new house/flat'll cost at least 3500 LYD/m with the same caracteristics.
Be careful with the contract you'll sign, you should do the translation with a third person ; because the only "real" contract will be the arabic one.
Welcome and good luck.
James

hi dear ,  how are you , if you wanna any information about Benghazi you can ask me !, about  the life, school or food or jobs , i will be helpful for you , and i would like be your just friend :)