Residency permit?

Does anyone have the low down on just who can get residency, how long is the residency permit good for, who can get one, cost etc? Must one go to HCM or Hanoi to get one. I read where you can get one if your the spouse of a Vietnamese citizen. I'm married to a VNese and have a business as well. I live in DaLat. Appreciate any insight.

What is residency permit, can I ask?

Do you want to become a Vietnamese citizen?

What is a residency permit? It allows a non-Vietnamese citizen to reside in VN. I understand you can get them for 1,2 or 3 years. Then your not staying here on a tourist visa or business visa. In fact you do not have to leave the country or check in with immigrations every 90 days. You do have to report to them when the permit is getting ready to expire I think.

Do I want to become a citizen......NO.

Actually you are eligible to obtain a PRC (Permanent Residence Card)  :D  according to subsection (c).
But to obtain a PRC is not easy as they mentioned here.
http://vietnamnews.vn/opinion/you-asked … -2012.html

I think to stay here you just need a 5 year VEC (Visa Exemption Certificate) as your wife as the guarantor.
Legally, TRC (Temporary Residence Card) is a document go along with Work Permit. Which means, people who already has the WP can apply for a TRC. But Vietnamese law has it's own drawbacks and loopholes, so sometime they give a TRC through back door. TRC give you to stay upto 3 years and travel multiple times without a Visa.

I suggest you go for a VEC is far better than others  :D

bta87 you might want to check this link out for information on the PRC and TRC. Anatta answered the question quite well. Wish he'd start posting again, to much incorrect information is getting posted now days

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=335282

Thanks Budman. "he's", is she really a HE. I saw all the banter long ago about that, but I thought they were just playing.
As I understand the VEC vs the PRC the former requires I report and pay every 90 days, while the later I don't have to.
We have started a business so I thought the business angle and a PRC might be a better way to go. Although I guess you must have an L.L.C. or a JSC to get approved for the PRC. We have not yet done either. Do you have any insight on the formation of either?
By the way the final shoe dropped on the SSA issue we last spoke about. They paid me all the back pay. I then asked them what I needed to do to get uninterrupted checks. They said just make sure when they send out the address verification you return it. That is as long as I am traveling. They did give me the exact schedule for the verification letters, exactly when they become delinquent and exactly when they suspend you. If you want the specifics I can send it to you.
So I am going to get a better address in the states and see if it will work that way. Most here that I know of do it that way.

If you have your owned business, you would be exempted from work permit requirement and are able to get 3 years TRC (not quite sure about 5 years visa exemption).

bta87 wrote:

What is a residency permit? It allows a non-Vietnamese citizen to reside in VN. I understand you can get them for 1,2 or 3 years. Then your not staying here on a tourist visa or business visa. In fact you do not have to leave the country or check in with immigrations every 90 days. You do have to report to them when the permit is getting ready to expire I think.

Do I want to become a citizen......NO.

I applied to for Permanent Residency in 2010, ( cost about 2 mil, then ), everything went along as smoothly as to be expected in VN, after about 9 months we got to the stage where the Cong An was to come and interrogate your neighbours, ( ask them everything they know about  you, i.e, are you generous, and like lending tools and doing welding/repairs for them for nothing, do you have a VN flag hanging by your gate, and a picture of Uncle Ho hanging on your wall, etc, etc ), but just before this stage, things suddenly came to a standstill, apparently this was the last step to PR, we used to inquire every couple of months after, always the same reply, ' it's in Hanoi hands now ', but have since stopped worrying about, even the visits from the Cong An to my house stopped, ( although I'm sure one officer had the hots for me, even coming out here while off duty, unfortunately he was a bloke ).

Gosh bluenz that does not sound very encouraging. So I suppose your still doing the 90 day hokie- pokie with the VEC. I was just trying to avoid all that.

bta87 wrote:

Gosh bluenz that does not sound very encouraging. So I suppose your still doing the 90 day hokie- pokie with the VEC. I was just trying to avoid all that.

Yeah, Diaz,  just did it today in fact, ( 5 yr Exempt ), but I only do the Immigration Office part, I'm supposed to take it into my local Cong An after, but as I'm registered in 2 different Communes, each must think I take it to the other. One of my neighbours works in the office, so they always know where I am.

I have a work permit renewed every 3 years and my residency permit is tie to my work permit. In your case, if you have an investment permit or the Company is an overseas representative office than it is easier to apply for a residency permit.