Recent graduate - how much do they pay?

Hi, I'm hoping to move to Tunisia with my boyfriend in the next few months but I am worried about finding a job that pays "enough". I recently got my master's degree and, from what I understand, Tunisians who have recently graduated tend to make between 400-800 dinars a month.

I am not worried about the cost of living, I would simply like to be able to pay for a few things with my salary. For ex. tickets back to Europe every once in a while or clothes from European brands.

I am hoping to work in marketing or a related field, does anyone know the kinds of salaries that people make or if expats can make more?

Stop the job hunting madness and start thinking about becoming independent and perhaps provide job(s) to someone.  :)

My boyfriend will be starting a business in Tunisia. I, however, do not have the funds for that just yet.

CaroA wrote:

My boyfriend will be starting a business in Tunisia. I, however, do not have the funds for that just yet.

:o  You must NEVER have money to start a business.  Money is at the Bank and you can get it if you need it.
All you need to start a venture is a great idea.
If you need money to start a business, that business will fail, perhaps very badly.
If you are talented, good luck already came to you.  Your (extended) family and friends will chip in for your initial costs.

Any business is a test of your character.

Anyway, why do you not work for your boyfriend?  :/

Thanks for your input but for my business idea I DO need money, and my extended family will not chip in for my business venture.

CaroA wrote:

Thanks for your input but for my business idea I DO need money, and it is ridiculous to assume that my extended family will chip in for my business venture.

Hi Caro, :)

ALL BIG businesses started with an individual having a great idea which gave him strength to start and push himself to newer and newer limits.  Family, if it's a good one, will be the first to appreciate your effort, friends come next and then you start small.
Feel free to keep your idea secret, but big businesses like yahoo.com, youtube.com, facebook.com, Microsoft, Apple, google.com started with just friends working together mostly in their parents' garage, NOT WITH MONEY.

Steve Jobs was eating at an Indian Church, his only good meal of the week was at that charity.
Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc., etc. all started with NO MONEY.

I hope you will find your way in life, and if you must start with a job, then so be it.
But remember: you do NOT have to be at the mercy of employers all your life when you can be an employer, if you are talented, that is.

I have no reason whatsoever not to wish you 'Good luck', so Good Luck.  :par:

Hi
I would say it is almost impossible to get a job in marketing here unless you speak French and Arabic.  Most Tunisians who work for international companies here speak three languages fluently.  Best bet for you is to do something either online for a company in your home country, or find a niche market here with Tunisians who need a good English speaker to expand their business.  But for this you need to communicate with your colleagues in either French or Arabic.  What about giving English lessons?  Always a need for this.
Good luck!

Ok, well thanks for the answer. I forgot to mention I do speak French.

Well if you speak French I would try and approach international companies here, or perhaps try and meet some people via any contacts you have here.  I wouldn't worry too much about not having Arabic. There is a teacher/student approach to the workplace here that is hard to get used to for non-Tunisians.  For money though many graduates have a starting salary of 500/600 DT per month :( That means that unless you are offering a company something very different to the other applicants you will have to compromise on salary.  Perhaps you have contacts in your home company that could be useful to the company here?  Or you set up on a freelance basis and companies could hire you on a job by job basis to start with.

CaroA wrote:

Ok, well thanks for the answer. I forgot to mention I do speak French.

Hi Caro, :)

I believe you are talented person who needs what a car needs: ignition.
All of us went through such a phase in our life.

I wish you to find the inspiration and inner power to jump from school straight into self-employed status or (small) employer.  :top:

Fame and luxury wait only for those who look for them.  :cool: