Cat from UK to Malta

Ok not often i actually ask something on here...

I have a Cat in the UK that i need to get to Malta. I have spoken to a really nice person at airmalta who have stated that I need to speak to Wexco, their Agents in the UK. I have a cat Passport and all the Jabs needed.

Wexco... being british.. were completely Useless.. the person i spoke to didnt have a clue, said the cost is something like £270 but it has to be paid on the day... how are they supposed to know what other paperwork is needed ? that was their words not mine.

So does anyone know anything that could help.. ?

Thanks

Julian

This is the requirements for bringing your cat into Malta.....

Pet Passport Malta
Dog Passport Malta
Regulations for taking a pet dog, cat or ferret to Malta from a rabies free country OR A country with a low incidence of rabies*:

Malta does not quarantine healthy pets (cats, dogs and ferrets) from the above countries having resided there for the preceeding six (6) months that meet the following requirements in this order:
1. ISO 11784/11785 compliant 15 digit pet microchip. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner.

2.Rabies vaccination no sooner than 21 days* and not more than 12 months prior to entry. If your dog, cat or ferret has been vaccinated before it was fitted with a microchip, it will have to be vaccinated again after the microchip is inserted.

3.For pets entering Malta from a country with a high incidence of rabies, a Blood Titer Test administered no sooner than one month after rabies vaccination. Samples must be processed at approved laboratories. Assuming test results within acceptable limits, your pet can enter Malta 90 days after the date the blood was drawn and avoid quarantine. This step is not required unless entering Malta from a high rabies country.

4.Within 10 days of travel, an accredited veterinarian must then complete the bi-lingual  Annex II for Malta for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, endorsement is not required unless your country mandates it.

5.A copy of the Rabies Certificate and Blood Titer Test results should also be included for endorsement (if applicable).

6.A Tapeworm Test is required for dogs between one and five days of entering Malta.

This completes a passport for your dog, cat or ferret to enter Malta.
Dog Passport Sweden

*After the first vaccination and waiting period, you can enter Malta whenever you like as long as booster vaccinations are given on time and you continue to meet the other entry requirements.

Puppies and Kittens: Unvaccinated puppies and kittens under 3 months of age are not permitted to enter Malta.

When entering Malta for commercial purposes such as breeding or sale, pets require additional forms and different rules apply.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Malta. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Malta. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

This is the link to the Malta government website for importing cats into Malta.........

http://vafd.gov.mt/pet-travel-scheme?l=1

How you choose to  bring them in is up to you.

Terry

Found this on the Air Malta website, have you phoned this number?

"On those routes where we cannot accommodate your Pet either as accompanied baggage or in the passenger cabin, you have the option of sending your Pet in hold as Cargo. In that case please contact our Cargo Sales Department on phone number  +356 22994444  or your cargo agent and they will guide you through the process. Naturally, this option is available on any other route should you prefer to send your Pet as Cargo.

Pet in Cargo hold Fees: The carriage of Pets in the Cargo hold is charged at approximately €2.50 per kilo. Please contact Air Malta's Cargo Sales Department for further pricing details."

Looks like you can book it yourself and work out the weight /cost.

Terry

No unfortunately Terry it doesn't work like that, has to be booked through an agent and the costs i have at the moment are from around £275 to £900.  The most competent ones have been airborne pets and they were around £375, but the email was very comprehensive.  the €2.50 per Kilo is pets leaving Malta on the Airmalta Flights.

" Naturally, this option is available on any other route should you prefer to send your Pet as Cargo".

So this is not true then?

What about driving down?

Terry

What about an alternative airline?
This site lists airlines that will carry pets.....

http://www.skyscanner.net/news/airline-pet-fees

Some do fly to Malta.

Terry

Been living here for 3 years mate, just looking at getting the cat over from home as our son is working more and cant be there for the cat. - Anyone Driving down that would like to help and earn some money ??

Namasta brought her 3 dogs across about 6 months ago Julian, I'll PM her email address for you, she may be able to help.

Ken

My sister's cat travelled from Malta to France then back again a few years later. The return journey he was actually near the passengers!!! Not sure it is the same procedure from France...
I am sure it must be relatively simple these days but sorry cannot help!

scubaboy wrote:

Been living here for 3 years mate, just looking at getting the cat over from home as our son is working more and cant be there for the cat. - Anyone Driving down that would like to help and earn some money ??

What about rehoming the cat  in the UK?
If you have been in Malta for three years without the cat then rehoming might be a better option.

Terry

Hi, im concidering to move to Malta aswell, living in Ireland with a cat.
I deffo want to take him with me.
I have 2 options

1) Driving down there.. dont know how many days and what routes that would take?
2) Ship the cat as cargo, after reading Airmalta etc, getting really confused..

Any advice?

tearnet wrote:
scubaboy wrote:

What about rehoming the cat  in the UK?
If you have been in Malta for three years without the cat then rehoming might be a better option.

Terry

What and deny the little pussy its retirement in the sun........Oooh! you are heartless at times Terry.  :D

Sorry, forgot I was an animal lover!
;)

well another quote from airpaws is £488 but includes the box... and yes Terry Sunshine for the pussy ;)

We brought our cat out here in December from the UK, we used Passport For Pets. They were very helpful, but still didn't know all the info (they said we needed to have cat treated for tapeworm, when only dogs need this). As long as your cat has a passport & rabies jab, all you need to do is book him in with Passports For Pets (Air Malta only fly on a Monday with animals in the cargo hold) then you need to get a signed import permit from Malta. Don't forget that as cargo your cat will be taken to the cargo centre in Luqa, not at the airport itself (we didn't know this until we landed!) & you have to pay import duty as well. Depending on the government vet that comes to check your cats microchip/passport you may have to pay them 50 Euro too...

Hi, im concidering to move to Malta aswell from Ireland, and have been checking to bring my cat w me with Lufthansa.
I dont find any info from them that they wouldnt accomodate my needs (cat in cabin or in cargo) from Ireland/UK and the fees are quite reasonable aswell.
Anyone who has experience w Lufthansa and bringing pets from Ireland/UK?

to answer my own question, i phoned Lufthansa, and there is no problem to take my cat in the cabin w from Dublin, and the cost is 75 eur for that. Im going to get a rabies vaccination and pet passport tomorrow (my cat is already chipped) and after 21 days has elapsed, im able to take my cat w me :)

Hello again, decided to ship my cat from Ireland to Malta via a company.. They charge around 600 eur for it, but much more stress free for me, and possibly for my cat aswell.
When pickung up my cat, where do i do that in Malta? I read somewhere that its in the cargo building somewhere?

if you still have a problem about your cat, i have a cat here in malta to which i need to rehome, as i cannot bring it with me.  If you are interested in taking on another cat or know someone who wants one, i have one to give away for free.. It would save a lot of money... thanks you can send me private mail .. grazis

if you still have a problem about your cat, i have a cat here in malta to which i need to rehome, as i cannot bring it with me.  If you are interested in taking on another cat or know someone who wants one, i have one to give away for free.. It would save a lot of money... thanks you can send me private mail .. grazis

I dont have any problems to get my cat in Malta, hopefully your cat will find its forever home soon.

When i took my cat, i decided that he has found his forever home with me, and im taking with him everywhere i move. (despite the cost) He is family for me.

I appreciate if you can share your experience, I'm planning to bring our family cat with us from Ireland

Hi, everything went very smoothly. I used company called MultiCargo in Dublin, since my cat was too big to be transported in the cabin, and needed to be sent via cargo. The cost for that was quite expensive, 650 eur + vet.fees and cages, so the total bill was closer to 1k . If your cat is small enough, you can take the cat in the cabin, but you need to call Lufthansa before making the booking, so they can lock the departure incase there is some allergic person trying to book a flight. The fee for this is also much smaller.

What you need is the EU Pet passport and rabies vaccine and microchip. Your vet will give these, also remember to ask for the stamp and declaration to the passport that your cat is healthy to travel. My vet forgot this, and it cost me extra 60e at the airport, when a vet nearby came and put that stamp in the passport.

14 days before the departure, fill in and send the forms from here http://vafd.gov.mt/pet-travel-scheme
If your cat is travelling as cargo, you need to fill in airbill nr that your cargo company will give you. Also note that when you are booking the ticket w Lufthansa (if your cat travels w cargo) you will need to give the recipients detail here in Malta, and they will call to that person to check the details.

The Maltese authorities will send you back the permission to import the cat to Malta, and you need to have several copies of this.. The inspector here in Malta lost all the paperwork.. but i was prepared and had copies w me :)

If you travel w cat in the cabin, they will meet you after disembarking the airplane, or if not, you need to ask someone to call the vet at the airport. If your cat is travelling as cargo, you need to attend separate  building just after the aiport called AirMalta cargo building. There is also a separate fee charged at the Luqa airport, in my case it was around 50 eur, since it was public holiday when my cat arrived, and they took some extra fees...

Also if your cat is travelling as cargo, i recommend that you buy the carrier from MultiCargo, it was approx 70e.The one i bought was too small and needed to be changed at the airport.

I think this was pretty much it.. if you have any questions, just ask :)

jakanfinne wrote:

Hi, everything went very smoothly. I used company called MultiCargo in Dublin, since my cat was too big to be transported in the cabin, and needed to be sent via cargo. The cost for that was quite expensive, 650 eur + vet.fees and cages, so the total bill was closer to 1k . If your cat is small enough, you can take the cat in the cabin, but you need to call Lufthansa before making the booking, so they can lock the departure incase there is some allergic person trying to book a flight. The fee for this is also much smaller.

What you need is the EU Pet passport and rabies vaccine and microchip. Your vet will give these, also remember to ask for the stamp and declaration to the passport that your cat is healthy to travel. My vet forgot this, and it cost me extra 60e at the airport, when a vet nearby came and put that stamp in the passport.

14 days before the departure, fill in and send the forms from here http://vafd.gov.mt/pet-travel-scheme
If your cat is travelling as cargo, you need to fill in airbill nr that your cargo company will give you. Also note that when you are booking the ticket w Lufthansa (if your cat travels w cargo) you will need to give the recipients detail here in Malta, and they will call to that person to check the details.

The Maltese authorities will send you back the permission to import the cat to Malta, and you need to have several copies of this.. The inspector here in Malta lost all the paperwork.. but i was prepared and had copies w me :)

If you travel w cat in the cabin, they will meet you after disembarking the airplane, or if not, you need to ask someone to call the vet at the airport. If your cat is travelling as cargo, you need to attend separate  building just after the aiport called AirMalta cargo building. There is also a separate fee charged at the Luqa airport, in my case it was around 50 eur, since it was public holiday when my cat arrived, and they took some extra fees...

Also if your cat is travelling as cargo, i recommend that you buy the carrier from MultiCargo, it was approx 70e.The one i bought was too small and needed to be changed at the airport.

I think this was pretty much it.. if you have any questions, just ask :)

Thanks a million for sharing your experience.

Most probably we will be flying with Air Malta instead of Lufthansa because it is a shorter flight. I've contacted Multicargo so hopefully will be less stressful.

Zeppi

I'm hoping to come and live on Gozo next year (2022) and want to bring my cat with me. Can anyone inform me what the current requirements are?
I see the last information on here relates to 2014.

Thanks,

Keith

@keithbarry hi Keith we are looking to do the same in 2023 and was wondering if you managed to find out what is required. 

Any help would be appropriate

thanks

@keithbarry hi Keith we are looking to do the same in 2023 and was wondering if you managed to find out what is required.
Any help would be appropriate

thanks
-@maz22

Travel with your Pet to Malta