Moving to Bx with kids, how not to lose the language..

Hello everyone,
I am moving back to Bx after more than 10 years abroad (UK-USA-Australia), but with kids (2 and 5). They never lived in France, and the oldest one has always been in English nursery, kindi, pre school, ans school etc. But this summer we are coming back and I need to find a way to maintain the English level (especially for the oldest one). I cannot afford the international school so he will go to Albert Thomas (hopefully a good school), I was thinking to become a member of clubs where people meet, or anything more kid-friendly like.
Any suggestions? we are moving in Bordeaux down town.

Cheers

Sophie

Hello Sophie and welcome on board :)

Regarding your search for clubs, I invite you to post an advert in the section activities in Bordeaux which might be helpful.

What have made you take the decision to return to Bordeaux? Do you think it will be easy for your family and you to adapt to this new life?

Best of luck,

Hasnaa

Hi,

I have the same problem as you, only concerning Swedish, not English. Any Swedish kids in Bordeaux? You mentioned an international school. Is that in English? Expensive?

I think everyone who is a parent and a expat have the same issues.
The best solution to avoid the lost of the mother language is to speak with your children in their language.  Children have the incredible skill to learn a new language very fast.
Of course there are some other options like to send them to an English school for example. Or
organise regular meetings with other expats.

International schools are expensive and payed most of the time by the employer. They teach in English and the main follow the British curriculum (if I'm not mistaken).

And there's some other cases who has the plan to stay "for ever", like me.
I sent my kids to Arabic private schools to learn their new language very well and to deal with the new culture and custom.
The choice for an private school is simple: the governmental schools have the reputation that they are not so good and have to deal with less good qualified teachers and equipment.
These schools are free and is used by lots of poor families.

Hi
This was our concern. Although we both speak English, we speak more French than English on a daily basis.

We ended up getting Sky TV. You need to go through a broker (as it isn't 100% allowed according to sky) but you can get all the channels you want.
We got the kids pack, so we pay the equivalent of £25/month + a years fee of £100 for the company to keep the card registered (I researched to find the cheapest annual fee). I did the installation myself, as we live in a house; but if you have an apartment, they can come an do the install for you. they sell everything.
If you want their details let me know and I will pass them along

Olly