The personality you admire most is ... ?

In music:
Jimi Hendrix.
Al Di Meola
Larry Coryell
Stanley Jordan
Joe Pass
Charlie Byrd
Tal Farlow
Barney Kessell and others like them in any order.  :)

Me.

In the Chinese zodiac the real personality is the Tiger.
I like Tigers and I believe it's impossible not to love them IF you understand what they do.

In movies I like Steve McQueen, Charlie Chaplin, Stan & Bran.
No actress though.

Spiritual Masters or Guru's:
Osho (Rajnish),Adi Sankaracharya,Confuscious,Socrates,Gautam Budha,Vardhman Mahavir,Guru Nanak,Kabir das,Farid,Meera Bai,Chaitanya Mahaprabhu,Ramkrishna Paramhans,Swami Vivekanand and lots in India who got Enlightenment.....

Yog
Patanjali
Swami Vivekanand

Ayurved(Natural Medicines )
Baag Bhatt

KamaSutra(Sex asana)
Vaatseyan

Kokh Sastra(sex in and out)
Kalidas

Poet
Ravindranath Taigore
Bankeem Chandra Chaterjee
Chandi das

In arts

All the great poets, painters, sculptors, dancers, writers, comedians, pantomimes, especially the artists who won the Nobel Prize.

All the classics (who never got the Nobel Prize) but endured the test of time.

In Expat.com

Sir John C

aryavrat wrote:

In Expat.com

Sir John C

Thank you Anil.
Get up to speed!  :)

In medicine

Dr. Christiaan Neethling Barnard (8 November 1922 – 2 September 2001) who was a South African cardiac surgeon and who performed the world's first successful human-to-human kidney transplant in 1953 and heart transplant in 1967.

In sports

Each and every champion who, through mental and physical training, has risen to the top leaving the amateurs and spectators behind biting the dust.  :top:

In cyber-trading

1). Firstly, the great technicians who cared to study and leave their amazing discoveries to us.
They are the ones we look to for real advice.

2). Billionaire money managers who, just like everybody else, fought family, regulators, regulations, traffic, publicity (including bad one!), social obligations and professional / personal / health issues, but - different from everybody - came up on top.

In culinary arts

The top chefs (people who not only like to exceed themselves, but also manage to please our taste buds ...)

Me ...  :joking:

Me, myself, my shadow and I, the whole four of us....

My Father and Mother

All the teachers who taught me..........

For me Jimmy Buffet.  Here was a guy who never did what was never right for him.  He truly marched to the beat of a different drummer.
You should read his book A Pirate Turns 50...terrific read.
Now where did that shaker of salt go?????

Bob K

Gandhi
Nelson Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi, too

stumpy wrote:

Me, myself, my shadow and I, the whole four of us....

Hi Stumpy, :)

Yes, I read your post just like you wrote it, where 'four' means 4, but knowing what I know I read it 'fur' ...  :par:

In computers

Bill GATES.

personalities I most admire are:

Politics/Social activists:
Nelson Mandela
Mahatma Gandhi
Martin Luther King
Abraham Lincoln
Barack Obama

Music:
Simon & Garfunkel
U2
Pink Floyd
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Sports persons:
Paavo Nurmi
Said Aouita
Rosa Mota
Carl Lewis
John McEnroe

Literature:
Anton Chekhov
Tomas Hardy
Charles Dickens
Richard Bach

Hope to find some commonalities here

Anjuraj wrote:

....  Hope to find some commonalities here

Hi Anjuraj, :)

Do not only hope, build the commonalities you look for.
This is what personalities are about.  :top:

Ah! the easy ones first eh?
Music: Bjork- "Everyone is bisexual: I've always had as many powerful, creative ladies in my life as I have men, and you could probably describe some of those relationships as romantic. I think everyone's bisexual to some degree or another; it's just a question of whether or not you choose to recognize it and embrace it. Personally, I think choosing between men and women is like choosing between cake and ice cream. You'd be daft not to try both when there are so many different flavors"

Art: Dali- "The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad".

Literature: Tolkien- "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends".

History: Admiral Horatio Nelson - "I could not tread these perilous paths in safety, if I did not keep a saving sense of humor".

Food: The wife..(had to say that) Her "you like?" me "lovely darling"

Sport: Frank Lampard- "Reading with my children is incredibly important to me and a wonderful way to spend time together as a family, exploring magical worlds through books and stories".

Politics: Ghandi - "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated".

Religion: Buddha - "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment"
Film male: Dickie Attenborough - "I do not have a brain that I long for in dealing with matters of which I am ignorant, that don't come within my ken and a rationale, a reason, and argument and so on, and I can't do that and I'm not in that bracket at all".

Film female: BB (Bridget Bardot) -"I am greatly misunderstood by politically correct idiots".

TV male: David Jason - "Mange tout Rodney, mange tout!"

TV female: Dawn French - "  If I had been around when Rubens was painting, I would have been revered as a fabulous model. Kate Moss? Well, she would have been the paintbrush.

Comedy: Eddie Izzard - "I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less".

Science: Stephen Hawking - "If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans".

World Leader: Queen Elizabeth 1- "I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too".

Ya copy that, John.....or else there would be no point in following your idols if you don't try and follow what they did... :)

In space travel

Yury Gagarin, the first man in space.
Neil Armstrong, the first man on the Moon.

Both are dead now.

Hi,
on Reunion island

ME!

I know it's not funny ...for I don't have the bouncing sheep!!! :mad:

In religion

The monks, because they are closest to doing what they say.

It is one thing to be a monk and another thing altogether to subject yourself to never ending pain.
Only one Stylite in the world is alive and he is very old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styliteshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_Styliteshttp://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14317b.htm

In this forum we do not discuss religion.  However we must mention it when unique aspects show up.
This world would be better off if more people were as dedicated to their work as the Stylites were dedicated to their beliefs. Since only one Stylite remains, it is clear where we are heading to ...

In arithmetic

I admire Fibonacci, the father of the system we use today to add, subtract, divide and multiply numbers, together with other inventions.

Throughout his adult life 800 years ago, he found shelter in several monasteries where his minimal upkeep was secured and where he worked on his discoveries in peace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci

In sports, special mention,

Usain Bolt, world's fastest runner.

In financial markets, special mention

There are a few dozen multibillionaire money managers.
Everyone of them has an incredible history.
One who stands out is

Bruce S. Kovner

Legend has it that, in 1977 at the age of 22, Bruce bought soybean futures contracts with US$3,500 from his credit card. He watched in amazement profits soar to US$40,000 and then watched in shocking disbelief profits drop to US$23,000 when he quickly sold his stake. A good return on investment you may say, but how good it would have been for him to have sold at more than ten times his deposit at US$40,000 remains a nostalgic memory.
The rest is history.

His net worth today is US$4.9B
From US$3,500 to US$4,900,000,000 what a journey! ...   :top:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Kovner#Careerhttp://www.forbes.com/profile/bruce-kovner/

P.S. there are a few discrepancies in Bruce's story.  Some say he started with US$3,500, others say it was US$3,000.  Some say his trade lost US$23,000, others say the trade came down to US$23,000.
Hey, get real, do such small numbers like these matter when US$4.9B is in the Bank account already?  :cool:

I agree with you John that religion should not be discussed on this forum.....

I would, however, like to point out that the Church played an important role in Europe especially Portugal and Italy where it provided a reclusive atmosphere to many  poets, painters, mathematicians, and so, on who lived among the monks and had their food & shelter needs taken care of...........

Anjuraj wrote:

I agree with you John that religion should not be discussed on this forum.....

I would, however, like to point out that the Church played an important role in Europe especially Portugal and Italy where it provided a reclusive atmosphere to many  poets, painters, mathematicians, and so, on who lived among the monks and had their food & shelter needs taken care of...........

Thank you Anjuraj, :)

It's not me who said that religion is not welcome here. It's forum company policy and it makes sense.
Although there are many expats who are religious, religion remains a personal choice and can be debated in specific forums.

I guess we have enough job seekers, ads, MLM scams and solicitations for charity causes in this forum to have to also deal with religious issues here.

As for medieval churches offering shelter to exceptional men, yes, it was a great solution for creative isolation.
Alchemists produced nothing of value while some enlightened minds like Fibonacci managed to be the famous exceptions among the many who sought shelter to work in solitude but ended up with no original, useful works.

If I were to select a personality to admire from the field of theology, I have no clue who that man could be.

I find it very conflicting to believe in something with all your heart (like all religions imply) but to actually produce no impressive results, nothing concrete, nothing real, nothing special only cheap talk ...

Blind faith without finality might even be a form of mental illness.

Also in financial markets, special mention goes to

James H. Simons

It pays when, in the middle of bad news, we remember the best performers among us.
James earned an estimated $2.5 billion in 2008, the year of deep recession when millions of people lost their homes to Bank seizure because, stupid as they were, they thought they will ‘make it'.  Yeah, right.  :nothappy:
It is mathematically impossible for ALL mortgagees to pay their loans in time and end up owning homes.
But sheeple don't know that or don't want to hear anything contrary to their dream when they are hot-headed.

Another top score of James' was when the Financial Times in 2006 named him as "the world's smartest billionaire".

http://www.forbes.com/profile/james-simons/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._Simons

Hey, it's fantastic to have US$12.5B like James, but what is it like to be THE WORLD'S SMARTEST?
Can anybody tell me?  :/

In mathematics...........Aryabhatt...inventor of zero,Srinivasa Ramanujan
In Science................Thomas Edisson,Sir Issac Newton,Albert Einstien

aryavrat wrote:

Aryabhatt ... inventor of zero, was an incredible man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryabhatt 

Indian culture is just amazing.  It's a shame the West did everything it could to overshadow it.  :mad:

In astronomy

Galileo Galilee, who discovered that Earth was not the centre of the Universe, and that it rotated around the sun.

Having lived during the dark ages, The Catholic Church declared him heretic and placed him under house arrest where he lived for 9 years until his death in 1642.
No matter what the powers of that time did to him, Galileo continued his research which advanced astronomy.

Something which is never mentioned is that there were many astronomers during Galileo's time throughout Europe and Middle East, but none of them produced work of the quality of Galileo's.

This brings up my theory that men who know they discovered something really great never give up pursuing it until perfection.  Sometimes they pay for it with their life, but this is what separates them from the hootchie-kootchie men who cannot say for sure what life is all about and NEVER have anything for which to fight till the last drop of blood.

Galileo was the best example of enlightened minds who had to suffer because obscure minds did everything in their power to stop circumstances from changing and applied brakes to progress including taking Galileo to court, sentencing him of heresy when the real heretics were in fact the accusers, making Galileo suffer and in some cases burning the heretic at the stake.

Who will make Europe pay for all the horrors which Europe did?  A new “heretic”?   :/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

aryavrat wrote:

Srinivasa_Ramanujan, a great man indeed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan

In the field of exploration

Pioneer South Pole explorers, Norwegian explorer and writer Thor Heyerdahl in his 1947 expedition across the Pacific Ocean and Everest climbers of which Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in 1953 were first in the world to reach the top.

I admire the trailblazers but I also do not like it when somebody is risking his life to achieve something which is not quite needed.

Who do people not stay at home away from daily noise of the sleep walkers and lunatics, and make some solid cash in the stock markets with the power of their mind?  :/

As we see, people go everywhere but not deep inside their creative mind.  They actually run away from it as far as possible …  :(

John C. wrote:
aryavrat wrote:

Aryabhatt ... inventor of zero, was an incredible man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryabhatt 

Indian culture is just amazing.  It's a shame the West did everything it could to overshadow it.  :mad:

Thanks Sir,,,,,,,,,

Regards,
Anil

John C. wrote:
aryavrat wrote:

Srinivasa_Ramanujan, a great man indeed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan

This thread has became amazing to know lots of ancient invention and discoveries....

Regards,
Anil

Meet expats all over the world

OR