The other side of the Ghanaian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Ghana, how would you describe the two sides of your Ghanaian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Hi Julien,
I guess, it is pretty much like living anywhere different from home/the familiar. You just have to find a way to get on with people- being pleasant and respectful helps a lot. In Ghana, a simple smile can be the right answer in any situation...
One thing to remember: we have more in common than we have differences. Having lived in different places over the years, I find that, aside from differences in language, we really are all the same! I am sure there are some funny jokes about that somewhere! I hope somebody posts some...
Have a great day!

I have moved out of Accra for a while now. Having lived as expat in various places, can say that the experience for me (and my family) was mostly positive.

The life is easy, the people are nice, there is no security problems, you can enjoy long drives (once you manage to get out of Accra, that is).

Downsides, quibbles rather, were: 1) absolutely NO ONE respects meeting time, deadlines etc 2) people constantly trying to rip you off assuming you are loaded and 3) Accra traffic is becoming as bad and unpredictable as in Lagos.

I stayed here for 2 years. I left with good memories - my second son was born here - and would love to be back sometime.

Been here 4 years, another one to go. I am looking forward to leave.

It's easy when you decide to "adapt", it's difficult when you have to change stuff. It's easy when you are the employee, it's difficult when you have to manage or employ. It's easy when you do something wrong, it's difficult when someone else is unjust to you.

I have been in many places, partially extreme as well such as Afghanistan during the bad war times, I have never seen a whole city (I am not talking for the whole land!) so free of dignity and care.

Here we are, I opened the can of worms.

When you move anywhere you usually have a reason for going there. The first time I came to Ghana was as a volunteer and I was based in 'the bush' about as far west from Accra as you can get. Despite the hardships of no water or electicity and being the only expat for most of the time I had a great time and realised then that I would come back one day and here I am. It has been nearly four years now and I still enjoy it. Of course now I live in Accra with more amenities and an easier life but sometimes I miss the community feel of living in a small place among Ghanaians.
For me the two sides of the postcard come after being here about 6 months. By then a lot of the initial enthusiasm has been dampened by the irritations caused by no water, no power, constant price rises etc etc. However if you can get through that period and keep a positive attitude then life becomes easier.

Electricity and water problems are not problems, they are situations. The problem is the people of Accra.

I was born in the Caribbean but spent most of my life in UK, however, although I spent that much time in the UK, I never felt at home and I was just passing through.  My journey took me to Ghana in the year 2000 to see my deceased Husband's extended family and to introduce our son.  I felt extremely connected to the people and its culture, although, I was very surprised at the amount of churches around and the trend is continuing.

I live in Kumasi which is like a large village. My surroundings is green, lush, serene and peaceful.  Yes, it is sometimes lonely and the need to talk with some one who speak the same language can sometimes help.  Yes, there are a lot of things that can cause some discomfort, like the bad roads, price over charging, poor quality services and the continuous power cuts. However, one can overcome all that with a positive mental attitude.  Life is a challenge no matter where you live. With less money, I live a far better quality life style than the UK and I am happy living and contributing to improvement of Ghana in my own little ways.  In the West, no one seems to know or value you but here in Africa you are valued and respected.

Hi there,
Marcus, there are quite a few people from the Caribbean in Kumasi. If you contact the Ghana Caribbean Association, you can make contact. Yes a positive attitude is the best. People are very friendly and welcoming. The lack of resources is sad, but there are worst parts of the world. Sorry to say, but go to India to see poverty...or drive through some neighbourhoods in the US...whole areas where people are just sleeping in the streets, under bridges, living in their cars...Poverty is poverty whereever you are in the world.
Just do the best you can, and be pleasant and friendly to all you meet, and Ghana will be fine for you.
Have a great day.

Hi, Many thanks for your encouraging note much appreciated.