African American wishing to relocate to Ghana

Hello my name is Rey, and I would love to move to Ghana. I'm currently living in Cairo Egypt  I've been living here for a year and I have met some great people, but I feel my time here is up , and I think Ghana is my next venture.. I have applied online to a plethora of recruiting sites for jobs in Ghana but I haven't had much luck.. so my questions are how is it living in Ghana? Are there any jobs for Americans in Ghana? What are the best sites for jobs? Is it very expensive to live in Ghana? I appreciate any helpful information..               

Thanks in advance.

Just like any country elsewhere in the world, besides having a visa, you need to have a work permit to be able to get a job in Ghana. While Ghana welcomes foreigners with no much restrictions, you must follow the immigration requirements. You can see regular job posting on jobsinghana.com or businessghana.com. Good luck!

You haven't stated your qualifications and experience. If you are looking for a job here it should be in an area which will add to the development of the country.
I agree that you need to find out the visa requirements and follow them.
Good luck!

To be honest not ALL countries require a work visa..They may claim to, but will hire you without in a lot of cases.. but that wasn't my concern, I wasn't asking for obvious info, I was asking more or less about living, expenses and etc..I appreciate the info shared..Thanx...

Accra is quite an expensive place to live. Accommodation is not cheap and it can be expensive to eat out etc. I am sure if you look at other threads you will find advice on how much it costs to live here. You seem quite willing to bend rules with regard to immigration requirements and that always seems strange as I know how people in the UK complain about foreigners coming into the country without documentation but are quite willing to enter another country and flout their rules.

I think your taking it personal for some ODD reason..never once did I say Im willing to "bend" any rules in a country thats clearly not yours... I stated facts that not ALL countries require a work permit upfront that was a harmless statement..with that being said I would appreciate it if we stick to the context..I'm only looking for productive and positive help not your judgements or assumptions.

I'm sorry if you are offended. Perhaps it would be easier if you asked more direct questions  and then it would be easier to give advice.
If you google jobs in ghana you will find lots of websites listing current jobs.
If you look through threads you will find information on the cost of living.
Good luck in your search.

i will love to help you..i am from ghana  but currently in doha

Yes, it is not cheap to live here in Ghana.  There are jobs in education and health care.

no to live in Ghana here is very low,and peaceful country as well

Hey there sista. It's nice to know another African American wants to locate to Ghana. I am a 43 year old black woman who lives in MD and will be getting married this summer to a native born Ghananian man. I will be moving there permantly next year and is looking to start my own mortgage and real estate company there. My finance is working on his travel and tourism business in Ghana. My fiance explained that the cost of living in Ghana is cheap. Many of the people who are saying it's expensive must live luxurious lifestyles. I would advise you to connect with other African Americans who live there and would give you sound advice. Good luck to you my sista.

Yes, if u can live on Kenki and Fufu every day then it may appear to be cheap.  I have been here since 2000 and I should know what I am saying. I came here from the UK and the cost of 1 tin of baked beans here in Ghana will cost you more than 1pound sterling equivalent. I can buy 4 tins of the same beans in the UK for 1 pound sterling.  A tin of beans is not luxury, this is one example.  Get in touch with One Afrika located in the Cape Coast, they have put a book together based on 12 African American story of their lives here in Ghana.  I went to  the market today to buy fish and the increase cost was too much, local people were complaining bitterly as fish is something they eat quite a lot.
Lots of things are imported here, you may pay more for some items that you can get cheaper in the west. Things which we can pick up at discount stores you will see here costing over the odds.

What your husband-to-be says is not wrong if you intend to live a local lifestyle ie live in a room in a compound house and eat local food, use the local hospital and local transport but if you intend to live a more western lifestyle then life here is not cheap as even things like shampoo can cost three times the amount they would in the US.
That said it is a great place to live and I enjoy living here very much

That was supportive thanks.

I live in the state of MD. Do you know the cost of food in the US? Food is very expensive and is getting more expensive every day. A head of lettuce is nearly 3.00. 1 cucumber is 1.00. A bage of oranges is nearly 7.00. Taxes are going up and full time jobs are disappearing and being replaced by part time jobs. It is getting very difficult to live in the US. You have been living there for nearly 13 years so evidently its not a bad place to live.

I did not say it was bad but if I had to make a choice again it would not be here. Prices are going up all over the world, the UK, Europe etc every one is complaining it is no different here, the grass is not necessarily greener here,there are a lot of other issues not only about cost of living, you will find out for yourself in good time.

I agree that it is not cheap to live in most places these days as things are getting more expensive and I would not try to put anyone off coming to live here but it is no good coming with rose tinted glasses. I have a good life with my Ghanaian husband but even though I had lived here before and knew what life was like in Ghana it took some adjustment. As long as you have financial independence you will be fine but you will also find out that your husband's relatives will expect a lot from him because he has been overseas and he will be obliged to help them and that can put a strain on your relationship.

I am not niave to believe things in Ghana would be not be drastically different from living in the West. I am not going there for just business or work. I am marrying a Ghanian man who is a professional soccer player about to transition to business. As his future wife I have accepted that I must adapt to the culture of the people, their language, food etc. My fiance is a man of Ghana who diet is not American.  I would not have agreed to marry him if i thought i could not adapt. I have been working in the area of finance here in America for 15 years and plan to use my skills and experince to open my own business. I see wonderful opportunties in Ghana as an entrepreneur. That's one thing I have learned being born and raised in America. Pull ones self up from the bootstraps and succeed.

I am sure you will succeed and make a good life here like lots of expats before you.  I wish you good luck and happiness here

I too had married an Ashanti man who sadly has past away, he too was a professional and was closely linked to the Royal Family, we also had children.  I wish you well in all your endeavor. Peace be on to you, good luck and good bye.

I was born in Ghana and have lived in the US for almost 20 years. Ghana is not a cheap place to live unless you can tolerate Ghanaian food, dont mind eating home a lot and wouldn't mind to take the local transportation. Good luck to you!

Hey,
Good you want to relocate to Ghana.I am A Ghanaian by birth.I have been living here for decades and at the university here too.
I will like to find out from you,what is your qualification so I can help you get a job.
Probably,I may need your CV for details if u wish.Living in Ghana is as cheap and peaceful country your will ever love.
This my e-mail and cell :[email protected]
+233241572835

@ adjeirichard36 Ghana is cheap as compared to what?

Hi everyone,

i am planning a trip to Ghana this summer (August).

I would like to meet people who have moved from western countries to Ghana.

Please get in touch.  I would love to hear from you.

I am in Kumasi get in touch [Moderated: No free ad pls]

hi how are u?.

My description of Ghana is that it is a user friendly location in Africa.  It is probably the most peaceful and foreigner friendly country on the continent.  However, it is a tough place financially unless you have a way to have a consistent flow of foreign currency coming in.  I have a business in Ghana but I am based in the USA so I am able to handle being in Ghana a number of times a year.  If I were there permanently I might run into some cash flow problems. 
I think if you are single and ready for some adventure and a little struggle, a permanent move is good.  If you have family and need to maintain a certain lifestyle, make sure there is a foreign currency source.

I would love to move to Ghana. I have a friend from there that was here in the states and moved back with his American wife. I'm fascinated with the culture and would love to expose my children to this culture.

Hello

It's nice idea of wanting to live in Ghana.
It is very moderate to live in Ghana and the people are very friendly.

If you have the requisite certificates, finding a job wont be much a problem after acquiring working permit.

You can add me on Skype: bobdee53 so that we can have constant chat.

Thanks

Robert

Take one or two test trips first and go with an entrepreneurial idea and money to back it up.   Ghana has potential and some people make it big but one should not over idealize the place.  There are challenges even for a Black expat.

[Moderated: This forum is not a dating website]

Hi Rey, its quite interesting down here, there are so much of investments ready to huk you up. just let me know of your interest and where you would preferably live, I recomend Ashanti but having links in Accra. Lets get to it more personal, am Nana Osei, [email protected] Lets do this together in one piece. You would be glad coming to Ghana Cheers.

I know we all wish of good things happening to us but it depends on how your plans are, you decide how poor ,average, or expensive you live in Ghana. just find som links there iether that Nana Osei guy or any other to get you going. Ghana is like everywhere but cool place.

I am in Kumasi a very cool place to be.

Hi friend,
contact [email protected] for answers to your questions.

Bye

Hi fkannor,

If you have some useful informations regarding Reybabe85 questions please you should share them here. It might help the other members too :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

hi rey, im dewayne from trinidad n tobago. i think it gon be easy getting a job here . plus holla @ me and wld give you the necessary info on life here. [email protected] thanks

To whom it may concern I was trying to get some information how to apply for the grant money to relocate to Ghana! My name is Blake Chacier I have a family that's eager to relocate!

Perhaps you could let us know what grant money you are referring to, as I have never heard of grants to come to Ghana

Hey, i was also living in Cairo.  I am now in Ethiopia.  I hear Ghana is nice depending on what you are into.  Lets connect on email:  [email protected]

I know Cairo is a tough place to live.  I'm sure we have similar stories.

Hope to hear from you soon.  Take care.