The other side of the Cambodian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Cambodia, how would you describe the two sides of your Cambodian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

I became ill the day after I stepped off the plane.  I was careful but I suppose I drank unclean water at a restaurant on one of the main streets in Phnam Pen.  I was not seriously ill but I was weak (i'm 64).  This spoiled my trip.  I was not able to go anywhere but Phnam Pen.

I will come back.  I wonder how I can prevent that miserable disentary, next time?

Maybe it's because I have only been here for 2 years, but I still haven't found a down side to living in Sihanoukville! I love the weather, both wet season and dry season. I love the diverse array of people here, both local and barang. I love the lack of stress and hassle as compared to both PP and S.R. I love the ease of getting around and the lack of traffic. I have a good job that I love, a good woman that I love and who loves me back and a beautiful house that I also love! All in all, I am extremely happy and content here, much more so than I was in Australia!

ummm.. Bright sunny, beautifully warm and hot, Smiley friendly people, slow slow, hammocks and soup, Srey bong / Oh,, the horror, the horror. )

OK... this has been bugging me.

The reason I am not in Cambodia is the lack of protection.  The so-called police are not what we think of when the word police is mentioned.  I don't know exactly what they are.  It's what they are NOT that's important.  They are not the people who will protect you, especially against a Cambodian.  They seem to be people who will try to profit from you, instead.

If you get into trouble, you are on your own.  You can expect nothing in the way of help from the police.  You can expect to be used by the locals if there is a dispute.  If you're up for all that, fine.  But not me.  I desperately need to find a place to retire on WAY too little money but jumping from the frying pan into the fire is not the thing to do.