Maxims, proverbs, aphorisms …

…. they all mean the same: popular wisdom handed over from parents to kids over centuries.

Let's write down such jewels of national thinking here.  :D

A dog with a bone is in danger. (African proverb)

Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today.

Good luck never gives.  It only lends. (Swedish proverb)

The good horse sells from the stable.
(Good wine needs no bush. Good products need no advertising).

He who wants the kernel, must crack the nut open.

Sheep farms are better visited in the dark.

They are things that the eyes could not see.

There's no one as blind as someone who doesn't want to see.

If not now, when?

Spring B wrote:

If not now, when?

Tomorrow evening - your place or mine, darling? :D

He who sows wind, will reap a storm .... (Romanian proverb)

Meaning: you sleep as you laid your bed.  (This also exists literally in Romanian).

It's amazing how people living thousands of miles apart, thought the same hundreds of years ago when no Internet to connect them in spirit and facts existed ....  :top:

All glittering things are not gold.

Those who has house of glasses can not throw stone on others house.

Think of a devil and devil is present.

Rahiman dhaga prem ka mat todo chatkaye,toote se fire na judey...judey to gaanth padi jaye...means dont break the thread of love otherwise once it was broken then there will be a knot even if you joint it....

Do not bathe in hogwash or pigs will eat you up. (Romanian proverb)

Meaning: if you sleep with bitches, you'll wake up with fleas.

He who cares about the future of other people enough to secure it, has secured a future for himself. (Chinese proverb)

Give a man a fish, and he will have just one meal.
Teach him how to fish, and he will have meals for a long time.  (Chinese proverb)

Always fish with a fishing-rod and you will fish only the fish which wants to be caught.
If you go fishing with a net, lots of fish which don't want to be caught will be fished out of the water, which is not good.  (Chinese proverb).

The old woman with cookies went away already.  (Romanian proverb)

Meaning: you lost the opportunity to buy a few sweets for yourself.

Luck is like glass. When it starts to shine, it breaks. (Romanian proverb)

Meaning: A warning about putting too much faith in luck instead of hard work.
Often, when one has a lucky streak, he wants to believe it will never end. But in reality it always does.
It encourages people to improve their lives through work and not to lose track of what's important just because something good happened.

Work fascinates me; I can watch it for hours! (old proverb from a lazy Canadian like me)

wjwoodward wrote:

Work fascinates me; I can watch it for hours! (old proverb from a lazy Canadian like me)

That's comic, thanks, but how about some good Canadian proverbs, or Indian or Eskimos words of wisdom?  :cool:

John C. wrote:
wjwoodward wrote:

That's comic, thanks, but how about some good Canadian proverbs, or Indian or Eskimos words of wisdom?  :cool:

======================

James, even "bad" Canadian proverbs will do ...  :D

May you live through interesting times. Chinese saying.
A nice way of saying have a s##t of a life.

wjwoodward wrote:

I re-phrase your kudo to make it stronger:

Work fascinates me: I can sit back and watch it doing nothing for hours and hours!   :D

Where there is a will, there is a way....

Something is better then nothing....

Omnia mea mecum porto. (Latin proverb)

Exact translation: Everything mine with me I carry.

The gentle cat scratches very badly. (Romanian proverb)

Meaning: Don't rely on appearances. This is the Romanian way of saying that things aren't always what they seem to be.

Don't measure others with your hand. (Romania proverb)

Meaning: If you don't understand something, that doesn't make it unimportant.
People always have their own reasons for acting the way they do. They will often act in ways that you don't expect.

Eat breakfast alone, by yourself.  Share your lunch with a friend.  Give dinner to your enemy. (Arab proverb)

Meaning: it's best to have a full stomach early in the day, a good atmosphere at lunchtime, and it's not a great idea to go to bed in the evening with a bellyful.

Water flows away, but the stones remain.

Meaning: the important people in your life will stand by your side and help you when times are tough, when all the false friends run away. Basically, it translates to: some people will always be there for you, and those are the only  people you should care about.

Who chases two rabbits will get neither. (Romanian proverb)

English equivalent: You must not run after two hares at the same time.

Meaning: "Concentrate on one thing at a time or you will achieve nothing. - Trying to do two or more things at a time, when even one on its own needs full effort, means that none of them will be accomplished properly."

He who rises early goes far. (Romanian proverb)

English equivalent: Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Meaning: "A lifestyle that involves neither staying up late nor sleeping late is good for body and mind and leads to financial success."

aryavrat wrote:

Where there is a will, there is a way....

Something is better then nothing....

Where there is a will, there is a way to kill the bugger and get the cash.

Use a little fish to catch a big one. (Romanian proverb)

English equivalent: Set a herring to catch a whale.

The wind does not paint red eggs.

English equivalent: Fine words butter no parsnips.

Meaning: merely talking about a problem will not solve it.

Fish gets rotten from the head. (Romanian proverb).

With poor farmers not even the oxen want to pull the cart. (Romanian proverb).

Dogs keep barking, brown bear keeps walking.  (Romanian proverb)

History: in the 1800's, nomad gypsies were travelling from village to village with their improvised itinerant circuses.  One attraction was to walk the bear through the streets for villagers to come out of their homes, see something they never saw before and maybe throw a few coins at the gypsies.
All the dogs were barking to such apparition, but the bear, pulled by his handler, had no choice other than keep going without trying to snap back at the charging dogs.

Meaning: if you have something good in your hands, keep doing what you are doing regardless of what people who have nothing good to do say.  Do not stop your journey to respond and punish the barking dogs because stopping will take you away from reaching your destination sooner.

He who wishes to secure the good of others has already secured his own.  (Confucius)

A healthy donkey is more useful than a sick savant.  (Romanian proverb).

Meaning: a donkey is more useful in carrying the load for you than someone who cannot give you good advice anymore.

Don't waste beans on geese! (Romanian proverb)

Meaning: since geese roam freely from the backyard to the pond, they feed themselves enough, so you need not feed them again.

Don't go with a big bag to the fruit-tree everybody talks about. (Romanian proverb).

Meaning: by the time you heard about the tree which produced a lot of fruits this year, the fruits are gone already.
This is for those people who always act late in everything they do and always rely on others to give them the news while they can never make the news themselves.

John C. wrote:

Eat breakfast alone, by yourself.  Share your lunch with a friend.  Give dinner to your enemy. (Arab proverb)

Meaning: it's best to have a full stomach early in the day, a good atmosphere at lunchtime, and it's not a great idea to go to bed in the evening with a bellyful.

Same proverb:  Breakfast like PRINCE, lunch like KING and dinner like BEGGER.

Rassi awat jaat te shil par parat nishan,baar baar ke ghis te jadmati hote sujaan.(hindi proverb)

Meaning; When a rope goes down and coming up in the well make its mark,the same way doing again and again even dump also became inteligent.....

Practice makes a man perfect.

If wealth is lost nothing is lost,if health is lost something is lost but if character is lost everything is lost.....

aryavrat wrote:

Rassi awat jaat te shil par parat nishan,baar baar ke ghis te jadmati hote sujaan.(hindi proverb)

Meaning; When a rope goes down and coming up in the well make its mark,the same way doing again and again even dump also became inteligent.....

Practice makes a man perfect.

If wealth is lost nothing is lost,if health is lost something is lost but if character is lost everything is lost.....

Thank you Anil.  :top:
It will be nice if more forummers contribute here like you did ...

Find activities and meet other expats

OR