...How many New Members does it take... ;-)

Greetings All,

My name is Dana, and my BF and I are looking at jobs which would take us to Bahrain.  I don't know what city the company will be in, so not sure where we'd be living as yet, but a villa is more likely than an apartment, for the reason stated below.

My question revolves more around bringing pets from the US.  It is most likely that 1 large dog will be joining us, and possibly several cats.  I've done the research regarding medical and veterinary requirements--my question are more related to actual transport of these guys, and how best to do it, and what it might cost.  There are quite a few companies advertising pet transportation--I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has already done it. 

Another avenue which I have not looked into yet-I'm retired military, so wondering if it might be possible to transport pets via military or space a transport.

Appreciate the assist, and hope to meet some of you in the not too distant future!

Dana

Contact Tim at Delmon.  He will be able to assist you.

delmonpetsrelocators.com/

scottrace wrote:

Contact Tim at Delmon.  He will be able to assist you.

delmonpetsrelocators.com/

Scottrace, thanks very much-will give him a shout.

I am bringing my 50 lb dog later in the year.  I have contacted several pet relocator services and prices seem to go between 3,000 and 5,500 US - more than I expected.  The upper end involves all the work - picking up and taking care of paperwork to avoid quarentine (which is a "mandatory" 30 days, but they promise 2 hours)  and a stop in Amsterdam halfway to let her out and run around and a quick vet check. (They stop there anyway - they try to route most of their flights through there since it is the only place the dogs can get out and about).  The low end is about 25 hours straight in a crate with no help on the paperwork, and a likely 30 day quarentine, etc.  My dog has anxiety in spades so a stop and a vet check halfway through is worth it for me, and I won't be in the US to get her ready so the upper end takes care of the vet and paperwork.  Just be careful about flying pets in the summer months - not sure they allow it due to the temperatures.

I can get you the names of the companies if you'd like, just let me know.

Good luck on finding work and bringing your pet!

Again please contact Tim at Delmon.  He knows the rules inside out and will also tell you who (and who not) to use in the USA.

I dont know if the US is different from the UK but our dog got on the plane, got off, was checked by the Vet and was in our home within 2 hours of landing.

I contacted came Delmon at the start, (okay, second if I am honest) after finding the info here for advice on the US carrier I should use.  Since your circumstance is different you should definitely contact Tim like scottrace and others have said.  All good advice.

From the @llo expat website amongst others:
•Please note: All dogs and cats imported from the United States and Canada will be quarantined for up to 30 days even if they have the necessary vaccinations
http://www.bahrain.alloexpat.com/bahrai … ahrain.phphttp://www.dohavets.com/files/importing … ahrain.pdf

Up to 30 days doesn't mean 30 for sure - but since my dog likely would suffer quite a bit during a long stay I would prefer the promise it wouldn't happen, and am willing to pay a little more for that.

Good luck!

relwell scottrace,

Thank you--relwell-I've found the same info you have on the 30 day quarantine-however it seems that most people who've indicated in the forums that they've brought animals-have not had to deal with an extensive quarantine. 

I've submitted a query to Delmon Pet Transport but have not heard back yet.  My dog is a 140 lb mastiff mix-I think he'd be thrilled to get off the plane for a bit in Amsterdam, but I'm still sorting through who's who, what airlines transport pets, so I haven't arrived at a decision as yet.  If I get this job & push comes to shove-I'll board Tristan here (Stateside), and make arrangements to fly with him so that I'm with him on the plane over. 

I wish you luck in getting your little one safely to Bahrain with you.  Speaking of anxiety-have you ever tried a "Thunder Shirt" on little one?  I have a Doberman who is a bit of an anxiety train-wreck & the shirt helped for a while.

Again, very much appreciate the info.

Yeah, I tried the shirt (and its for sale again, cheap!) and it didn't do much.  Vet recommended a trainer.  The trainer gave me a refund when it didn't work, so the vet recommended medicine.  She was just a bit of a mess when she is left alone.  It has been 2 years of work with her but she is much better now - when I rescued her she would eat the fur off her paws til it bled and tear the place up.  Now she just spazzes out when I get home, no mess and no chewing.  Judging by the many nests around the place she just sleeps a lot which is fine with me.  We just have to burn off a lot of energy when I get home.

I am waiting on one more quote for a US shipper - of the four places I have called there is one that seems like it would be the best for both of our sanity's sake so far.  Tim got back to me in about a day or so when I emailed.  Once I choose they contact Delmon and coordinate the send off and reception.

Relwell-wow, you've done very well by your little one!  She is very lucky to have been rescued by you!  Both of mine are rescues-the Dobie is a bit of a mess, the Mastiff is just a big, goofy, Sweetheart.  If you don't mind-I'd be interested in hearing who you go with for transport.  I've got a little time before I hear abt the job, but will have to have all my ducks in a row as soon as I get the word. 

Best of luck to you!