Walks - for dogs

Hello,   I am moving to bahrain in The next few month and we are bring or cocker Spaniel. i am wondering if there are places people go to walk their dogs?  Other than around the compound. Ie Parks  /gardens or is this not the done thing/ too hot.

Thanks
:)

Hello Balvackinbahrain.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks

Karen :)

Thanks Karen :)

Hello Balvackinbahrain and welcome to the forum,

Unfortunately at least 5 months of the year in Bahrain is dangerously hot for any creature to be outside for a long period, therefore for his wellbeing, I would recommend sticking with the compound and round the block.

For the rest of the year, there are some parks in Bahrain where you can take your dog for a walk. If you live in Amwaj, he can also benefit from the beach ;)

Good luck!

Hi

There are limited "parks" that you can walk a dog in (in fact there are not many parks in Bahrain at all) - most do not allow dogs and even if they do they must be on a lead.

Most people walk their dogs in their local areas or take them to the beaches - there are many quiet beach areas which whilst not suitable for sunbathing and swimming are perfectly good for walking your dog. 

When you arrive drop us a pm and we can advise on the best places to go.

Hi

Regarding Amwaj, you have to live on a certain part in order to get access to the beach and the rent prices are very high. There is big problems there too with people illegally entering and using the beach (and leaving rubbish everywhere) when they shouldn't go there.

Riffa has lots of greenery which is lovely for dogs.

I walk my dog around the block where we live. Longer walks in the winter but at the moment he is having 4 half hour walks a day and he is fine.

I personally quite like Amwaj. The only place with a decent beach, and also it is central. Riffa is also very beautiful but it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. Having said that, nowhere in Bahrain is far. Rents are on par with Seef, but you also have the advantage of the beach access. Lots of restaurants, cafes and bars are within walking distance.

Hello, I live in Inverurie and lived in Bahrain for 3 years, may be going back in the next few months.  I took my collie with me and acquired a desert stray while there.  There are quite a lot of places to walk your dog but you have to know where they are, definitely not the parks.  Lots of waste ground and date farms which are better as they have water irrigation.  Some of the beach areas  they are not like we would imagine a beach should be.  There is a huge stray dog situation in Bahrain so be careful of packs of dogs.  They are normally fine they will bark but if you shout they will run away. As far as the heat goes the only really bad months are August and September it becomes humid.  Apart from that I always walked my dogs early morning and evening and carried water for them. Anyway if you need any other information happy to help.  We may end up there at the same time. Could even put you in touch with people I know who walk there dogs there. :)

Thanks Guys for your replies, :) good to know that my four legged friend will get a wander.

Hi JaneEatons, nice to meet someone from closer to home. Are you going back to Bahrain for a visit or to stay again?  I am heading over in October.  Be good to find out from you where the date farms are, would be good to know other dog owners too.
How did your Collie get on with being  transported to Bahrain? I am using  Delmon pet relocation.  I am a little concerned about my dog  being in the hold. as he is a spoiled dog. Be good to hear from you . Thanks :)

I flew my pedigree cats here using Delmon Kennels and they were fine. Delmon only do the part of it in Bahrain though - so if you can make sure you find a good export company where you live. My cats were in their crate for 22 hours in total as no-one is allowed to touch them. I believe this is different for dogs but you would have to check.

The hold is pressure controlled and heat controlled. 99% of animals just curl up and go to sleep. Make sure your dog isn't fed for at least 12 hours before travel which will help him to remain clean.

They are given water on the flight (via a funnel into their bowl) but no food.

Thanks Josnuggles, Good to hear you had a good experience using Delmon.  Thank  for your advice. You do seem to know alot about Bahrain and its ways. Thanks again. :)

Balvackinbahrain wrote:

Thanks Josnuggles, ... You do seem to know alot about Bahrain and its ways. Thanks again. :)

That is certainly true! :)

Hi, I will be going back could be in the next couple of months, do not have a date yet as my husband will be working in Saudi.. Your dog will be fine, Delmon  kennels  do a really good job.  When my collie went out he flew down to London the night before, taken out his crate over night and transferred to Bahrain the next day.  That meant he was only travelling for about 5 hours in his crate.  Anyway if you fancy meeting up  here in Scotland, I can give you lots of tips about things like best places to live, rents, where to shop etc.
Let me know or look me up on Facebook or we can arrange to meet somewhere on here. Don't fancy giving out my number to the whole world so let me know and I can send a personal message.
Thanks and good luck
Jane

We also used Delmon for our chocolate lab - she was absolutely fine - Delmon will advise you on the best flight so your dog isnt hanging around in customs for ages waiting for the Ministry Vet.  She bounced out of the crate delighted to see us and she loves Bahrain as she can spend her life swimming in our pool - Labrador Heaven :D