Where to eat in Kuwait (for foodies!)

Hey guys!

I am a foodie and being from NYC doesn't help. I have tried trip advisor and other similar sites but there weren't too many options so I am going back to just asking around. Restaurants with good ambience cease to exist here so I am going for spots based on taste alone, I liked Caribbean Hut and Early Bird but wasn't able to find any other similar restaurants. I don't mind hole the walls or little mom and pop shops as long as they are good! 

This may sound snotty but please do not recommend any corporate chains (i.e. The Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, TGIFriday, IHOP, etc.) If you have a restaurant you love please share! Tell me WHY you love it, WHAT you eat there and what makes it your favorite restaurant and most importantly WHERE is it.

Thanks!  :)

Try:
- Maqha Sha'bi on the Gulf road next to the Yacht Club
My favorite ambience. It feels like a back yard cook out. Nice place for kids to play. Very VERY affordable prices. It's the ultimate family experience for me. Favorite dish is grilled Kebab with nice hot lemon tea.
- Habasha Restaurant in Hawally Qutaiba street
Ethiopian ambience to an extent. Good Ethiopian food (though the meat is a bit hard to chew). Clean enough.
My favorite dish there is the Kitfo. Another popular dish is Shekla Tibs. U might also try Mahabarawi for a veg mix.
- Hosni in Hawally Beirut street
Clean, Egyptian atmosphere and good Egyptian food. Almost any fish you eat there will taste good. My favorite dishes there are Tarb, Egyptian fried rice (Roz Muamar) and grills in general.
- Abu Tareq in Hawally Qutaiba street
I'm a fan of small restaurants in street corners who make a delicacy of street food. Abu Tarek is one of them. Not the best Koshary I've had, but certainly one of the best in Kuwait.
- Freej Swaileh in Salmiya Salem Al-Mubarak Street
Nice place (old Kuwaiti style) and good food. But basically most food there are rice with something. My favorite is the soup (served in ball baguettes) and Machboos.

Enjoy

Thanks justfedup!

There is sooo many nice restrents with nice sea view

hi,

Why don't you try in fish market.. I really like there. the foods tastes really good. In fish market everything is fresh all you have to do is to choose and they will cook it for you. It is affordable, delicious and the ambiance is good. there are some restaurants also around there that is good; there is sakura also in that place and etc.. fish market  is located in mahboula and in kuwait city.. second to that it is really good also to eat in shrimpy kuwait city along arabian gulf street.. foods are good, prices are not so expensive and the ambiance is perfect for me. It is along the seaside

@condominium you're right :) How could I forget the fish market? :O I specially like the one on the Gulf road.

Since you mentioned Sakura, there is a nice Japanese restaurant in Jabriya (right next to the first entrance from 4th ring road), it's called Dragon (aren't dragons a Chinese thing?). Not the "Japanesist" of Japanese food but the ambiance is nice and the prices are very good.

Thanks condominium!

I haven't had much luck with sushi here but I am extremely fussy with my sashimi so I may give Sakura a try next time I get a craving :)

I'm a Japanese food junkie .... here are the ones I tried in order of preference:
1- Wasabi - Maboula (wins because of the ambiance)
2- Sakura - Crown Plaza Farwaniya or Gulf road next to Shaab park (Looks authentic big portion, bit pricey though)
3- Maki - Marina Waves, Gulf road (excellent view, good food but terrible ambiance)
4- Dragon - Jabriya (The cheapest and nearest, but gloomy staff)

There is one which I heard of recently, it's called Sushi Club (On the Gulf road near Holiday inn) I'm gonna try it soon so I couldn't include it in the list above just yet.

Enjoy :)

My wife reports that the Japanese restaurant opposite the Cheese Factory in the Grand Avenues shopping mall is very good and she puts it above Sakura.  I've not had the chance to try it yet, but might look for the new place on the Gulf road first (it's nearer to home).

I'm a Japanese food junkie .... here are the ones I tried in order of preference:
1- Wasabi - Maboula (wins because of the ambiance)
2- Sakura - Crown Plaza Farwaniya or Gulf road next to Shaab park (Looks authentic big portion, bit pricey though)
3- Maki - Marina Waves, Gulf road (excellent view, good food but terrible ambiance)
4- Dragon - Jabriya (The cheapest and nearest, but gloomy staff)

There is one which I heard of recently, it's called Sushi Club (On the Gulf road near Holiday inn) I'm gonna try it soon so I couldn't include it in the list above just yet.

Enjoy :)

hi my favourite place is called cafe expat in mahboula block 4 i think it is street 128 it is next to swiss gym it is managed by alex bartalome who is fillipino cafe prices but with hotel standards his food+ presantation is amazing if you go on facebook look it up +you will see his dishes all made with healthy ingredients  it is also realy friendly

@KevanV I believe you're talking about Benihana in the Avenues. There is a funny story about this restaurant. One day I was walking in the Avenues so hungry, and craving Japanese food. I walked back and forth in front of the Cheese cake factory and was looking around for a Japanese restaurant. When I got desperate I just ate at any Asian restaurant (regrettably, it was BAAAAAD). On the way out I saw ... Large and clear .. BENIHANA ... I started sobbing :(

BTW, I didn't try Benihana yet ... who's up for it :)

Fantastic thread as in spite of the gazillion of restaurants, the real gems are hard to find. Thanks for the suggestions, for the lovers of thai food like me I can recommend Sabaidee, cheap and authentic. There are two locations, one in Fintas and the other in Hawally. Bon appetit!

where in Hawally Riba? :P

oh and Tina, if you have any friends who are avid readers, and may or may not enjoy starbucks, as them if anyone in January picked up the January issue of Bazaar magazine, a free publication given out in several locations. the Jan issue had an accompanying food guide for Kuwait.

I freelance and write for them :) check out page 118 of the February issue if you have time.

legacy wrote:

where in Hawally Riba? :P

Ooops, sorry, it is in Salmiya. I need to polish up my orientational skills. :) It is on Tahreer Lane, just north of where Amman St. and Baghdad St. meet.

@KevanV: I think I know which place you're talking about, I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the Avenues. @justfedup: it's not Benihanas it's a fancy looking Japanese spot :)

Thanks for the tip mik2203!

@Ribosom: There is no shortage of restaurants here but good ones are hard to come by! Sabaidee isn't too far from me so that's another addition for me to try thanks :)

legacy: going to Starbucks today so i'll grab a copy of Bazaar! I'm originally from Seattle so Starbucks will always have a place in my heart although I have to admit unless you're in Seattle Starbucks else everywhere sucks  :dumbom:

Too bad there aren't any Michelin starred restaurants here in Kuwait :(

tinataitlyn wrote:

Too bad there aren't any Michelin starred restaurants here in Kuwait :(

So true... I'm used to having one somewhere near by.  But I guess that we've been spoilt by living in Jersey (UK), Beijing and London and there were always very good restaurants to try.

legacy wrote:

oh and Tina, if you have any friends who are avid readers, and may or may not enjoy starbucks, as them if anyone in January picked up the January issue of Bazaar magazine, a free publication given out in several locations. the Jan issue had an accompanying food guide for Kuwait.

I freelance and write for them :) check out page 118 of the February issue if you have time.

I'll have to see if there are any old copies left...

there is also one in mahboula behind starbucks on the coast road

I snagged one at the Starbucks at the Marina Crescent yesterday, they still have quite a few left there!

tinataitlyn wrote:

I snagged one at the Starbucks at the Marina Crescent yesterday, they still have quite a few left there!

Looks like that's where I'll have to visit tomorrow :)

well , from my side i love al noukhaza restaurant in Crowne plaza hotel kuwait , it's the best for seafood lovers , about my favorite dish (the lobster ) they are the best ever , you should try it , other places for italian food lovers ( johnny carino's gulf road ) it's the best in that also my favorite dish there is italian nachos + fried calamari & buffalo steak , for indian food lovers ( Spicy or not ) ( Dawat Sharqe ) the best dish is golden fried shrimp and butter chicken

Oh... My I feel hungry right now . he he he he he he he

Thanks walidkamal2000!

Just in case anyone was interested the mysterious Japanese restaurant in the Avenues is called Katsuya by Starck. It was designed by the famous interior designer Philippe Starck so it's beautiful! The food was pretty good but it's one of the those restaurants that got famous because it's in Beverly Hills, trendy and have lots of celebrities dining there. Pretty much equivalent to a Nobu if anyone's familiar to that famous chain. I would definitely say it's the trendy Japanese restaurant in Kuwait. Get the rock shrimp and crispy rice and spicy tuna for starters :D

tinataitlyn wrote:

Thanks walidkamal2000!

Just in case anyone was interested the mysterious Japanese restaurant in the Avenues is called Katsuya by Starck. It was designed by the famous interior designer Philippe Starck so it's beautiful! The food was pretty good but it's one of the those restaurants that got famous because it's in Beverly Hills, trendy and have lots of celebrities dining there. Pretty much equivalent to a Nobu if anyone's familiar to that famous chain. I would definitely say it's the trendy Japanese restaurant in Kuwait. Get the rock shrimp and crispy rice and spicy tuna for starters :D

Greatest food not always in the greatest place
It depends on if you like meat or chicken or ...  ect.
[Moderated: no phone number on the forum pls]

I tried Osaka Japanese restaurant a few days ago and it was really good.  There service was pretty good too.  The was supposed to be a American Southern food restaurant opening here called "The Southern" in Mahaboula but the address they have on Facebook is not the restaurant and there hasn't been any activity on their page since November.  Anyone heard anything about it?

There's a Mexican restaurant "Mama Lita's" in Mahboula or SolosTacos in Kuwait City for Mexican food. You can also check out Shakshooka market every Thursday for different kinds of foods. As for "The Southern" restaurant I saw some pics on their Instagram account, it looks like the building is till being finished and the menu is still being tested. I've posted about most of these restaurants on my blog for more information. Southern Cali in da house!

tinataitlyn wrote:

Just in case anyone was interested the mysterious Japanese restaurant in the Avenues is called Katsuya by Starck.

Sorry I forgot to reply back to this thread after I'd eaten there the other week. All the dishes that we chose were great.  They looked and tasted fantastic.

I have been in Habascia - Hawally: meat cooked in traditional ethiopian way - a bit burnt - delicious vegetables and a nice waiter: in order to show me how to eat bread and vegetables, she put the hands in my plate and ate from it.... but I didn't mind to much, as it is not a michelin resto. Bill very low.  I recommend it, maybe not for a romantic dinner.

Sounds like a classy joint lol I don't think will be visiting that one, I prefer only my hands to touch my food.

michros wrote:

to show me how to eat bread and vegetables, she put the hands in my plate and ate from it....

I've never had that before... I think I'll use my own hands :)

LOOOOOOOOOL at @michros .... Many people would go "EEEEEEW" at what happened .... You have such a sporty spirit. I'll make sure I'll convey the message.

If this happens with a fellow Ethiopian, it's alright, cause we have this habit called "Gursha" in which people dining together feed each other as a sign of love and respect. But they shouldn't expect others not to be at least uncomfortable with this gesture or something like it.

They can definitely do better, but it's not bad in general.

where is this restaurant exactly? I want to try it out!

legacy wrote:

where is this restaurant exactly? I want to try it out!

I second that, but minus the waiters hands in my food

Here is the place: Hawally, Ibn Khaldoun St, where it joins Qutaibah street.

If you wanna go, let's agree on a date and time and we can go all together if you wish ....  I'll handle the "hands off my plate" thingy :P

pls guys let's stop with this topic of hands I didn't want to make scandal otherwise the girl has been very nice and professional . She probably wanted to be friendly as I was eating alone... justfedup thnks I went there after reading your post... anyway Ethiopians are the best community here In Kuwait...... bye!!

@michros thanks for the nice words about our community :)

this topic will be endless, specailly with the hude number in resturents in kuwait :)

Well, it's not like there is anything else to talk about in Kuwait except food.

Place: Habesha Restaurant, Hawally, Ibn Khaldoon St.
Date: 4/4/2014 (day, month, year or month, day, year ... doesn't matter ;) )
Time: 7:00 PM

Depending on the number, I'm paying :D .... Who's up for it?

I'm in! Is the place family friendly?