Ladies not working

I would like to ask to those ladies who are house wives whilst their husbands are at work-what do you do during the day? If you are in compounds do you get together with other women during the daytime? Im hoping that this is the case although it may be wishful thinking!

There will be plenty of board women in your compound to spend time with, but I seriously suggest that you find yourself a time consuming hobby before you come and stock up on all the things you need.

The first 6 months is pretty fun the places your compound bus goes too are new and interesting.  But onces you've visited everywhere 2 or 3 times the monotony starts to kick in (2nd year definitely much tougher than the first)

Hi Alethe,

Thanks for your response, it does surprise me though. When I moved to Dubai, the first year was the toughest of my life but I found it got easier in the second year and you've kind of got a routine. I have no doubt that moving there will be the tougher, but I cant really comment until I get there so your views are appreciated.

The first year is confronting yes,  but its also absolutely fascinating.  For me that overshadowed a lot of the irritations and frustrations during the initial year.

When it stopped being so novel, then I found the limited range of things available to do during the week and the constraints more difficult.

(Hopefully that clarifies what I was trying to say somewhat).

Yes a little.
I will definately be needing a hobby I think and the compounds seem to have a wide range of facilities which is good! I will also be packing a deck of cards and many board games!

We lived at Al Rajhi Compound in Sulaimaniya for a few years and the morning activities that were on the bulletin board for the ladies was unimaginable. I always wondered where they gom the time for all that stuff?

If your not working you have to keep busy.  I think that's why there are such a large array of activities run on compounds, it's filling in empty time.

You can always Have Pets to be with You ...

and if you have kids - i don't think you will find time to get bored.

just my assumptions :P

It depends on the age of your children.  Mine are gone from 6:30 am until 3:30 pm which gives me plenty of hours to fill in but still means I'm frantically busy each afternoon and all weekend.

Im sure if you have children then you dont have much spare time! I would love to have a dog or a whole farm full or them actually but it would be unfair as we travel quite alot. I am guessing there are no amimal centres I could volounteer at but maybe there I could find some other sort of volounteer work? Any ideas?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24857

Hi Ladies - My day...  is filled with working out and reading the latest novels, reading & writing emails...  I love to go out to window shop, for coffee and getting together with others...  :):):)

Sounds like a nice life Caf!

Come on ladies, tell us about your routine. Does anyone enjoy soaking up the sun and relaxing by the beautiful looking pools?

I'm working my ass off so wouldn't know :P

I DO envy you ladies!! :lol:

Hmm tried posting earlier doesn't seem to have worked.

I get up with my kids at 6am, they leave for school at 6:30.

My day always starts with prep for evening meal (I know odd time to do but evenings busy so like to just heat & serve).

Washing --- I know not exciting.

An hour of Arabic. 

Then its almost 10 & time for my morning ESL class.

After lunch, I prep for next days class, sneak in some yoga straighten the house and try to find time for another hour of Arabic before kids get home from school.

Once they are home supervising homework keeps me busy and the afternoon evening, flies by very quickly.

Poor Alliecat, I guess you get your kicks from the fascinating discussions on this forum though!

Thanks Alethe What a great way to pass some time by learning arabic. Are u self learning by disc? Do you recommend a particular one? Oh and call me stupid but what is ESL?

^ ESL (more properly called EFL in Saudi Arabia) is English as a Second Language.  English as a Foreign Language is what most people overseas study.

As for volunteer work, betty, maybe you can check out the NGOs that are working in Bahrain and work with children or women, if your heart runs that way.

It was really tough time when i came here just 15 days after my marriage.i want some to do something creative staying at home.I love to stitch.Evening time really flies if u r having kids.

I guess you get your kicks from the fascinating discussions on this forum though

Yeah .. I lead a sad, sad life :(

we are all in the same boat... just keep rowing...

I worked as a freelance webdesigner when I was living in Qatar, and frankly it was the best job I had! I would work by the poolside tanning while uploading the files to my boss :D

But now I have a kid (not a lot of fun as I imagined it would be while I was pregnant, hehehe!) so I guess my days in Saudi will be spent running after a baby.

But I did hear that there are a lot of activities in the compounds. Women are allowed to drive in Qatar, so even though there were only malls to visit, at least we could drive ourselves to the seaside or something.

Maybe you could teach a course on something you are familiar with/good at! That would fill up the hours :)

I am trying to arrange for my wife to join me before the end of the year, and frankly, I hope she will never read this topic: she will be so depressed. She is happy only when she can take her car, go shopping to local soukhs, argue and bargain loudly with salesmen for hours until she gets the lowest price, then go and play mahjong with friends at the terrace of a coffee shop (she is chinese!).

We spent 5 years in Afghanistan, and, set aside the security threat, Kabul is a more permissive environment for local and foreign women than Riyadh.

ugly bety ,u r at least living in compound ,where u may roam around.I have stuck in home until my hubby don't come but i got no complains,i m enjoying my lazy lamhey[moments] :P and next time u can join us in some plan if u want :)

Mister do know how can we engage in volunteer work here in riyadh.I am planning to give assistance in studies if some one requires in my free time.

Nonz, you are not staying on a compound? Do you guys all meet up from here on weekends from time to time? I guess being around people keeps you sane. I cant really comment yet though.

Heady, im sure your wife will already be aware of the restrictions in KSA but life seems more relaxed and 'normal' in the compounds so I guess thats where you'll be staying?

uglybetty wrote:

Nonz, you are not staying on a compound? Do you guys all meet up from here on weekends from time to time? I guess being around people keeps you sane. I cant really comment yet though.

Heady, im sure your wife will already be aware of the restrictions in KSA but life seems more relaxed and 'normal' in the compounds so I guess thats where you'll be staying?

Yeah,no compound but still we meet time to time and usually have good time and yes it really keeps my brain cool but i have learnt one thing...too many friends too many tension :rolleyes: