First dates

What are some impressive resturant to take a first date in HCM? Any other advice for first dates?  :P

Pizza Hut

Jquinoq wrote:

What are some impressive resturant to take a first date in HCM? Any other advice for first dates?  :P

Hi Jquinoq
You can go to some restaurants as Barbecue Garden (135A Nam Ky Khoi Nghia str,  D1, HCMC); The Sushi Bar ( 2 Le Thanh Ton Str, D1)
or choosing any romantic cafes, flowers and candles :)

I think like this....Depend on later how you enjoy ur love....If..later you always take her go nice place, nice restaurant....so you find a special place for first dates..If later you are not usually bring her to eat in nice restaurant or nice place..so just find the nice one..but not so amazing...

Its just my idea  :D
Yuli

I'm old fashion, I believe first impressions are vital to establish a relationship , I understand that one can not go out everyday to fine dining, but you can't get a second date , if the first one was cheap or not impressive, the flowers are a must if you trying to become a serious couple.....I'm not looking for a one night stand, I'm retiring in VN, so I'm looking for a relationship

Trust me, El Gaucho Argentina Steak House will impress ur girl enough ;) Take her to 2nd floor and enjoy your date! Quite expensive but worth it though.

Pizza 4P's (Fanzy Japanese/Pizza) or Ciao Bella (Italian) are both very nice/impressive restaurants that would have won me over on a first date. I'm an American girl though and the Vietnamese dates that I've taken to these places have not been so impressed....haha I'm sure the ambiance was unlike anything these local Vietnamese guys have ever experienced before so it was impressive in that respect, but their exposure to foreign food was so limited that one guy said that the exceptionally crafted pizza we had at 4P's tasted like bread.....needless to say I didn't take him out much after that. But yeah, be mindful of your date and how much exposure/appreciation she will have for Western/Non-Vietnamese cuisine if you're going down that avenue.

your date will be impressed with the ambiance but not the food.  foreign cuisine is bland to the Vietnamese palate.   as for restaurants ill leave that to the HCMC experts.  wish you luck my friend.

Thank you all

I like McDonalds. Seriously. I Hate those dates where the girls only eat Salads. I pay more attention to details like:
- He offers to pay the bill (yes as a guy its expected to pay)
- Dont talk too much about himself
- dont use his smartphone (no go!)

The deck in dist 2 is the most romantic restaurant here. just book a table next to the river, you can enjoy the food while watching the river with a candle. so nice :)

First I wouldn't take a lady to MCDon on a first date, I have more respect for vnese ladies. I love the idea on the Deck.....what ever happen to old fashion romance? I was told vnese ladies enjoy dinner dates and romantic men... Was I given bad information ?

Jquinoq wrote:

First I wouldn't take a lady to MCDon on a first date, I have more respect for vnese ladies. I love the idea on the Deck.....what ever happen to old fashion romance? I was told vnese ladies enjoy dinner dates and romantic men... Was I given bad information ?

You know that McDonalds, La Lotteria etc all the American Chains here are freaking expensive? Locals go there to show off their wealth. Just for your information. Even as an expat I dont go there (because I prefer Vn food and not that fatty unhealthy junk food besides my Big Mac and French Fries and Ice Creme haha).

You are a foreigner in this country. You are seen as a lucky golden (cash) cow. Many (younger) Vietnamese ladies will line up to go on a date with you because
1. they want to learn how to speak English (totally understand this point)
2. are interested in learning other countries and cultures
3. want to start a serious relationship which will mostly end in split up or marriage

I suggest you if you are seriously looking for a wife (gf wont work here!) take her to a nice, open restaurant, get to know her and decide whether you wanna continue.

I met A LOT of men like you who were desperate to date a local but started to run away when they proposed marriage or had a family requesting LOTS of money. That's life here. We're not in the States where you can date a girl for one or two days and dump her. Dating in Vietnam is a serious thing. Like it or hate it.

P.S: Cuc Gach on 10 Dang Tat | Ward Tan Dinh, Ho Chi Minh City District 1, Vietnam. 0084838480144 is very famous and nice. Brangelina ate there. IMO the food is ok and overpriced. My mom cooks way better than Cuc Gach but it was nice to be taken there for a date. We paid 650.000 vnd for a dinner for two

I think...if she is VN....She will like The Deck....foods is nice....& that place is romantic with river & lotus flower and not noisy..

Some of Vietnamese they dont like Mc Donalds or Pizza. Cuc Gach Restaurant is nice foods also...but it is Vietnam foods which we can cook at home.

So again..i Vote for The Deck...dict 2...They have nice place, romantic & nice menu ( i think Vietnamese like the taste of foods there ).

Yuli

I'm an American not of Vietnamese descent and I've been living on Vietnamese food since 1995.  But once in a while I like something different.  So, as it turns out, do some Vietnamese. 

I've met people who don't even want bánh mì with bò khó, too foreign, and others who could live on pizza and KFC.  Takes all kinds and to say they only eat western food for status is ridiculous.  I wasn't living on Vietnamese food in Seattle to be sooooo cooool .... I liked it.  It's healthy. 

But even if I was heterosexual and single I wouldn't date here unless the woman was upper class and independently wealthy and well educated.  I know too many people who are making monthly family contributions that I couldn't salve away as cultural differences.  Thirty mil a month.  That's BS.

Only SG restaurant I know is Ngon.  I don't stay in Saigon long when I visit, it's too crowded.

"I know too many people who are making monthly family contributions that I couldn't salve away as cultural differences.  Thirty mil a month.  That's BS."

To me, that is not cultural difference, just plain stupidity. But if he is happy doing it, good on him.

Back on topic.
I had a hard time taking my wife to eat after I first met her. If it was a good location, the food was crap or vice versa.
That was around 10 years ago so I can't remember the places but good luck.

cth wrote:

"I know too many people who are making monthly family contributions that I couldn't salve away as cultural differences.  Thirty mil a month.  That's BS."

To me, that is not cultural difference, just plain stupidity. But if he is happy doing it, good on him.

Back on topic.
I had a hard time taking my wife to eat after I first met her. If it was a good location, the food was crap or vice versa.
That was around 10 years ago so I can't remember the places but good luck.

It is a cultural difference. I personally know some people who have moved to Canada and work pretty shoddy jobs, yet send money back to the family in Vietnam every month to their parents and extended family (i.e., not wife and children).

From reading Chris's post, I got the impression that the ppl he knew were making contributions to their gf's family while dating.
That's why I said its plain stupidity.

I agree with you on the example you gave tho.
My wife sends money to her side a few times a year. I send money to my grandma and afew uncles/aunts and cousins too.

First I'm not desperate. Let make that clear. I was married to a vnese woman until her untimely death. I've raised my two daughter alone since, their both in college and I am living alone,thus the move to vn. I just feel the dating thing as past me by, and I'm just asking for advice to do the right thing.......I'm NOT trying to overly impress or show off , I'm just believe in Romance and the old fashion wine & dine style.

missmae wrote:

I like McDonalds. Seriously. I Hate those dates where the girls only eat Salads. I pay more attention to details like:
- He offers to pay the bill (yes as a guy its expected to pay)
- Dont talk too much about himself
- dont use his smartphone (no go!)

missmae, I like everything you said here except for McDonalds haha.  :joking:

cth wrote:

From reading Chris's post, I got the impression that the ppl he knew were making contributions to their gf's family while dating.
That's why I said its plain stupidity.

I agree with you on the example you gave tho.
My wife sends money to her side a few times a year. I send money to my grandma and afew uncles/aunts and cousins too.

One of them is a friend from the USA, hasn't worked in two years, desperately looking, ready to relocate anywhere.  Has some money from selling his house, living a long time with a woman who dresses to the nines and likes fancy dining.  The 30 million ₫ / month to her family is not open to discussion, and he will be penniless in four years.  So happens I like her, but I think the arrangement absolutely stinks.  He's "twitterpated" ... Em!   Em!  Em!  Plans to move her 20 years younger than him, to the USA.  Any predictions?

Another friend has a GF whose family is abusive, manipulative, predatory, "bà" calls four times a day and leaves her crying, get more money out of the NNN, girl is twisted into knots by obligation.  He's given them enough money to build a nicer house.  Mom buys painkillers.  Need explanations?

Sorry but I think this stuff stinks.  The second one is bad enough but the first one is piteous.  If I was dating and money for the family came up that'd be it right there.

http://wallpaperswa.com/thumbnails/detail/20120315/women%20minimalistic%20stupid%20men%20funny%20smart%20black%20background%20marriage%201920x1200%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperhi.com_40.jpg

This pictures says everything. i think case 3 applies to most guys here being exploited by their woman

I agree , but only if you let them get away with it . Not me

Hi everybody,

Please note that the main subject of this topic is First dates, the member Jquinoq asked about impressive restaurants to take a first date in HCM.

Thank you to avoid going off topic.  :top:

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Kudos to you for being old fashioned. I am old fashioned too. Been married to one man my whole life. Sorry to hear about your wife. What ever you do...do not follow the OP advice about taking your date to Pizza Hut. You look like you have a lot of class and I am sure any descent woman would not mind where you take her. Just make sure it is a nice indoor, closed restaurant so as the vendors don't interrupt your quality time with your lady.  ;)

MiaTNB wrote:

Trust me, El Gaucho Argentina Steak House will impress ur girl enough ;) Take her to 2nd floor and enjoy your date! Quite expensive but worth it though.

You are right about that! Argentinian restaurants are one of the best places for a first romantic date.  :D

Priscilla wrote:

Hi everybody,

Please note that the main subject of this topic is First dates, the member Jquinoq asked about impressive restaurants to take a first date in HCM.

Thank you to avoid going off topic.  :top:

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Finally someone reminded me about the topic.... I just become confused on what are we talking about here.

MIA2013 wrote:

Kudos to you for being old fashioned. I am old fashioned too. Been married to one man my whole life. Sorry to hear about your wife. What ever you do...do not follow the OP advice about taking your date to Pizza Hut. You look like you have a lot of class and I am sure any descent woman would not mind where you take her. Just make sure it is a nice indoor, closed restaurant so as the vendors don't interrupt your quality time with your lady.  ;)

So Pizza Hut and McDonald ain't classy enough? Tell that to missmae. :P

niwde wrote:

With me, Pizza Hut &McDonald are fast food. We just go there order & eat..after finish the meal, wiil not feel comfortable if  finish meal & still keep talking there.

Bcz this topic Is: Finding an impressive place. So we need to find a place for we can feel comfortable for communicate, nice food & beautiful, In Fact, if we like each other, we still feel happy & enjoy when eat or drink to gether on the street also/  :)

Yuli

niwde wrote:
MIA2013 wrote:

Then I def have no class since I eat out everywhere. Mc Donalds, Pizza Hut, KFC and oh did I mention I was taken to IMPRESSIVE restaurants like Cuc Gach and Michelin Restaurants?

Like I said before I don't really care about the location as long as its clean and not that shitty. It's about THE GUY THAT HAS TO IMPRESS ME.

Went on a date with a handsome, tall ma with his Porsche. Picked me up and we went to an impressive restaurant. He talked only about himself. Result: Never again

Went to Mcdonalds with my First Love. Nicest guy ever. We were young, had a chemistry and it was awesome.

My Tip for you is:
First impression counts but don't overimpress her. Take her to a nice French or Italian Restaurants, order some wine, be a gentleman. If she likes you she will continue to go out with you. Dont spoil her with expensive restaurants, gifts etc ... You will end up like my mate who can't impress his now-wifey with anything. He gave her all she wanted and she's still unsatisfied with her Iphone 5s, her flat and her car. Poor dude...

Anyways wish you good luck and damn I love fast food :D Still Sticky as a Supermodel thanks to Mama:p

i think the OP wants a nice restaurant to impress upon her his romantic side not this financial side.

If I remember right the topic is "First dates" Where else but a fast food place le Mc Donald's or pizza hut can you have a short sit down for the first time with somebody, eat a little food make some small talk and figure out from there where things are heading. Then start making plans for later. Sitting for two hours in a expensive restaurant which somebody at the other end of the table that you just met and wish you wouldn't have is a bit uncomfortable no matter whose footing the bill.

missmae wrote:
niwde wrote:
MIA2013 wrote:

Then I def have no class since I eat out everywhere. Mc Donalds, Pizza Hut, KFC and oh did I mention I was taken to IMPRESSIVE restaurants like Cuc Gach and Michelin Restaurants?

Like I said before I don't really care about the location as long as its clean and not that shitty. It's about THE GUY THAT HAS TO IMPRESS ME.

Went on a date with a handsome, tall ma with his Porsche. Picked me up and we went to an impressive restaurant. He talked only about himself. Result: Never again

Went to Mcdonalds with my First Love. Nicest guy ever. We were young, had a chemistry and it was awesome.

My Tip for you is:
First impression counts but don't overimpress her. Take her to a nice French or Italian Restaurants, order some wine, be a gentleman. If she likes you she will continue to go out with you. Dont spoil her with expensive restaurants, gifts etc ... You will end up like my mate who can't impress his now-wifey with anything. He gave her all she wanted and she's still unsatisfied with her Iphone 5s, her flat and her car. Poor dude...

Anyways wish you good luck and damn I love fast food :D Still Sticky as a Supermodel thanks to Mama:p

loved it! Now i'm your biggest fan!  :thanks:

Chromodynamic wrote:

You want to find a good restaurant, use FourSquare.  That's what it's for. 

You need to use a fancy setting to impress someone, join a support group for people with insecurity and self-esteem issues.  If you can't make a decent impression over a plastic table and a pizza then how the hell are some candles and a two million ₫ bill going to do it for you?  You guys are living in some shallow cinematic fantasy.  Does it help if the waiter speaks French?

I think you my friend has waken up in the wrong side of the bed today.  :dumbom:

niwde wrote:
missmae wrote:
niwde wrote:

My Tip for you is:

loved it! Now i'm your biggest fan!  :thanks:

Cheers!
Just the opinion of a not so average girl who doesn't order salad nor is into posh and fancy restaurants. I like good old street food and don't say no to Burgers:D

Yuli_nguyen wrote:
niwde wrote:

With me, Pizza Hut &McDonald are fast food. We just go there order & eat..after finish the meal, wiil not feel comfortable if  finish meal & still keep talking there.

Bcz this topic Is: Finding an impressive place. So we need to find a place for we can feel comfortable for communicate, nice food & beautiful, In Fact, if we like each other, we still feel happy & enjoy when eat or drink to gether on the street also/  :)

Yuli

Yes, I agree with you. Maybe we should get together when I return to Vietnam to look for some impressive restaurants to review? By the way, I like your pic and I bet SaigonMonkey does too.  ;)

I'm not saying a Burger joint is out if the question, nor is street food, but I believe in a first date u want a nice quite Table to sit , talk  learn about each other, no one want to be hearing motorbike, car, bus, planes making all sort of noise. First impression is a lasting impression, especially when it comes to dating. It is very important to plant a good impression in her mind so that she will feel good about you.

First off you are assuming the 2 of you will be alone on your first date. This may not be the case. Many VN women feel more comfortable having a friend tag along on the first date or 2.
In that situation I would suggest a nice quiet place with a nice atmosphere so you can converse. Make sure the place is not so expensive also as that can make the woman feel uncomfortable or pressured on the first date and remember you will be paying for her friend as well.

My wife (Vietnamese) and I had our first date at a nice cafe with her friend and we were able to talk and get to know each other, while we were at the cafe we made plans for going out later that evening to get something to eat and we were able to not bring her friend along. So we ended up having 2 dates on the first day.

I would take my first date to a rooftop restaurant with a nice romantic view... away from the craziness and the incessant honking from the street below 

I've heard Shri Restaurant is quite good although I haven't been there yet to see for myself...

... Guess I will need to find a date for that!!   :lol:

As an Aussie who was recently in Vietnam, I found teh Lemongrass, its upstairs at 4 Nguyen Thiep District 1. to be excellent.

Agree with BBQ Garden nice and casual but great food when I was there last.