Makes me wonder.....

Today i was reading different postings on different forums. And I noticed alot of negativity toward men from various countries. The topic of discussion was people using these forums as a dating sight. I am not a stupid woman, but some of the postings has made me question things. Do men from places like Egypt & India and such, just write to American woman as a way to get out of their country ?? Do you not think that some of the men write because they are actually looking for a woman different from what their country offers or is it all just a scam to escape their country ?? I'm just really curious what you all think, I guess its because I dont like to think the worse in people.

http://www.zawaj.com/askbilqis/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/no-dating.jpgHi Snoopygrl67,

Makes me wonder too! The answer to your question is both YES and NO.

Some men (and women too) obviously are willing to do anything to get out of countries where they consider the living conditions intolerable and catch a "free ride" into permanent residency in some other country, especially developed countries that they perceive to have much better standards of living and job offers growing on trees.

Other men come from cultures where machismo reigns supreme, women are held in very low esteem and men consider them little more than objects. Unfortunately in many of these same cultures men tend to also have the feeling that they are God's (or whatever they call their supreme deity) gift to women, Casanova, Don Juan, Romeo and Leonardo DiCaprio all rolled up into one... they somehow have convinced themselves that no woman in her right mind could possibly live without them. Others still have to stroke their own ego by making it with as many different women as possible. Sad to say that none of them really place any value on women as people, simply as sexual objects......... very backward ideal indeed.

Regarding topic postings and private messages, these very same men obviously aren't sufficiently intelligent to read or understand their local forum Code of Conduct which clearly states that Expat-blog is NOT a dating/matchmaking site, or they just don't believe that such a rule could possibly refer to them! They finally get the message when somebody reports them and they get their membership cancelled.

Some extremely rare cyber-love success stories do really exist, but the odds that you'll win the national lottery grand prize three times in a row are probably greater than you finding true love online. Like I say, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE just unlikely.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil and Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

James - what a terrible cynic you are! And what a terrible cynic I am to agree with you! Your comparison with winning the lottery three times in a row is spot on. Snoopy - don't think for a moment that you can find love on the Internet. You may find someone there whom you later meet in the flesh and come to like - or even to love - but that's entirely different. It doesn't happen often.

Hi Gordon,

How are you these days my friend? Good to hear from you again.

Sometimes my cynicism even surprises me, since I'm acutally one of those individuals that beat the odds...... no I didn't win the lottery three times (never bet). But my marriage is a cyber-love success story.

My Brazilian wife is very much younger than I am, was not interested in me for money because I don't have any and she wasn't looking for a doorway out of Brazil and into Canada. We never argue, she treats me like I'm a king, respects me and makes sure to thank me for everything I do and even when I have no idea what I've done. We have a beautiful 6-year old son who is my whole world wrapped up in one little person.

The reason OUR cyber-lovestory worked out is that unlike many people online these days neither of us tell lies, not even "little white lies" in real life or online. Honesty, IMHO, is always the best policy - no matter what consequences telling the truth may bring. Anyway we both knew exactly what we were getting. Far too many people nowadays are absolutely nothing like they portray themselves to be online.

Nowadays you need only see the news reports of young women who simply disappear after arranging to meet someone from an online romance, and they're never seen again. It's pretty scary business indeed. I know when we see such news reports my wife and I both shake our heads in wonder. We've discussed the issue often and both agree how very lucky we are to have met eachother and done so with such great success, we also agree that the odds were ALL against us doing so and that we'd not have the courage to ever try such a thing again.

Cheers,
James

wjwoodward wrote:

Nowadays you need only see the news reports of young women who simply disappear after arranging to meet someone from an online romance, and they're never seen again. It's pretty scary business indeed. I know when we see such news reports my wife and I both shake our heads in wonder. We've discussed the issue often and both agree how very lucky we are to have met eachother and done so with such great success, we also agree that the odds were ALL against us doing so and that we'd not have the courage to ever try such a thing again.

Cheers,
James

(John C. to himself: what the heck is going on for James who is a top wordsmith, elite high number post scorer, major gatekeeper at this forum, and who has perfect command of English language to read news of young women who disappear after meeting with online romance seekers?  Why would he read horror stories when there is plenty of good news to read to choose from?
Hmmm ...  :(  I must watch for such incidents not to start happening to me. I must never allow bad news to bother me or the authors of bad news will have achieved their dirty goal. I must always keep searching for good news no matter how long it takes and no matter how many headlines of bad news I have to go over. I believe in good news and in those who make them. I must also post more thought-provoking threads and comments here than those I already did to save James and distract him away from negativity. Yes, that's what I have to do).  :top:

Hello John,

Unfortunately you can't avoid seeing or hearing these horrific news reports (at least in Brazil) unless you never turn on your television, radio or computer. All media news reports are just filled with them. Sad to say!

Cheers,
James

wjwoodward wrote:

Hello John,

Unfortunately you can't avoid seeing or hearing these horrific news reports (at least in Brazil) unless you never turn on your television, radio or computer. All media news reports are just filled with them. Sad to say!

Cheers,
James

Hello James,  :)
I was talking to myself and you listened in ...  :top:
I shall not allow sadness to grip your mind and sap your creative energies.
And I start right now: makes me wonder did you read my thread 'Space Expats???' at https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 39#1672806
Your input is appreciated.  :par:

Hi Guys !
           No, I am not looking for love online. I know who I want and hopefully soon that'll all work out. I guess I asked about it after reading a few post on the subject. I know there are alot of untruthful and crazy people out there, but I guess I like to believe there are alot of good guys out there too ! Thanks for the talk ....Sylvia

Snoopygrl67 wrote:

Hi Guys !
           No, I am not looking for love online. I know who I want and hopefully soon that'll all work out. I guess I asked about it after reading a few post on the subject. I know there are alot of untruthful and crazy people out there, but I guess I like to believe there are alot of good guys out there too ! Thanks for the talk ....Sylvia

Makes me wonder: is that it? Thanks for the talk?  :)

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR