How do you fight a cold in your country?

Hi there,
I'm fighting nasty cold right now and been wondering what are the best natural (like for breastfeeding moms) ways to get rid of runny nose, sore throat, headache and stuff like that in your countries.

In Poland we drink lots of tea with lemon and raspberry syrup or honey, rinse nose with sea water, gargle with sage and use some decongestants or homeopathic medicines.

A cold isn't something you can cure but you can manage the symptoms a little.
Breast feeding is always going to increase the problems as, whatever you take, you give to your baby so minimal drugs.

Here in Jordan they eat raw garlic (minced into paste and mix it with yoghurt for example) but women who are breastfeeding drinks lot of anise tea.
I prefer to make a broth from chicken or vegetable stock.
Or you can squeeze some lemon and pour into hot water with sugar to taste.

Get well soon!

I Ireland you wrap a few blankets around you & stay in bed!
Warm 7up or hot milk helps too.

I never drink breast milk when I have a cold.  I go for orange juice and donuts.

The local remedy is to go to the hospital, wait around in a room filled with people caughing & sneezing, and get some drugs.

hey guys, thanks for answering!

anise tea - need to try that, thanks Primadonna!
staying in bed - sounds like a promised land to me :) but it's also completely unachievable when one has kids.  Warm 7up sounds tempting though :)
donuts - oh that's the cure for everything!

Warm milk mixed with hard honey is a good remedy to hasten up getting better.

Pouring salted water in your nose helps a running nose - pour in one nostril until it all comes out in the other nostril.

Healing will also help you get well faster.

I eat a lot of oranges... as in an entire pack (around 3 kilos worth). You can also try boiling some lemon and ginger together then adding some honey to the concoction. :)

Wrapping a few blankets  and having hot milk

Having a hot chicken and vegetables soup definetly will help and plenty of vitamins C surely will cure your cold!!

In Brazil they're absolutely crazy about Garlic Tea as a cold remedy. I tried it once... it's so disgusting that you get better immediately out of self defense, just so you don't have to take any more of it.........YUCK

Airborne/ in the USA, along w decongestant, and lots of water. In Brazil suffer until it goes away. :D

Meet other expats and join the events

OR