Eating places

Hello, other than that Gan Hao along Tran Phu which seems a rip off, any other places in VT with decent Vietnamese food? Could be sea food or Asian.  Thanks

Sploke77 wrote:

Hello, other than that Gan Hao along Tran Phu which seems a rip off, any other places in VT with decent Vietnamese food? Could be sea food or Asian.  Thanks

Several places along the "boardwalk" drive have been blacklisted by the tourism authorities for ripping off tourists.  I don't recommend eating in restaurants near the beach. 

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page … p-off.aspx

http://www.baobariavungtau.com.vn/engli … es-314235/

I think Solo1 got ripped off paid the foreigner premium at a restaurant in Vũng Tàu as well.  You try going inland more?  Those places serve "regular people" and not tourists so at least you DO get what you pay.

It was good experience eating at David Pizzaria but cannot be eating Italian all the time!

There's a place in TPHCM I like called, unpretentiously, Ngon.  Huge selection, mostly bình dân style food but very very good.  I think it's nonsmoking indoors, never once had a meal ruined inside by someone lighting up at the next table.  Half foreigners, half Vietnamese in designer clothes.

Sploke77 wrote:

I maintain that if you are sitting inside you are paying a premium. I prefer the outside food stalls that are usually crowded. I make note of where they are and then visit before the rush.

Correction, I was at Gan Hao last night and it was okay. The trick is to know how to order like specify how heavy in grams is that fish you want grilled and specify exactly the type and manner of cooking for all sea food. It wasn't so bad and quite affordable. Perhaps,, they are working towards a better image after numerous complaints. It seems that in VT the Authorities take tourism industry rather seriously.

For great Vietnamese food that won't break the bank try Oc Gai on Nam Ky Khoi Nghia. Or if you like a curry try Yummy Yummy's on Tran Hung Dao opposite the little park. The best breakfast can be found at Bayview near Lucy's bar on ha Long. A simple rule of thumb is, if it's it's full of Vietnamese it's good cheap food. Many of the street vendors are great as well, my favourite is on Le Lai on Hem 116. Bon appetite.. :top:

I find the Green Hotel on back beach to have the best breakfast. A buffett with bacon and eggs,fruit and juice and coffee for 79000 . Cant beat it

Ah! but do they do bubble & squeak? If not then it's not a full English or Aussie... :)