Advice about local spanish towns please :-)

Hi Guys,

I will be relocating to live in Gib in mid-late Jan 2014, I have got a couple leads on decent jobs and will be coming down at the end of November to sort out a few bits and meet my potential employers. Clearly living in Spain seems to be the popular choice due to the vast difference in rental prices, which is fine by me, all adds to the experience I guess :-)

Originally I planned to look mostly in La Linea but I have heard some pretty bad reports about it and was hoping someone could given me the real low down on what its like please? Also if anyone can recommend any other local towns that are worth looking at that'd be great, ill be bringing my car down with me so anywhere within a 15/20 minutes drive to the border would be perfect, with some with other Irish/british expats in the same area would be even better, throw in a couple pubs and restaurants and id be a delighted man lol

Many thanks in advance for your help folks!

Steve

Hey Steve,

There are a few good options in case you don't fancy staying in La Linea and don't mind driving. Mind you, the longest part of your commute won't be spent driving from where you stay to the border, but in a queue crossing La Linea (of half an hour of mine, I spend 15 minutes ina steady queue from the entrance of La Linea until the parking space before the border)

If you want to stay in a real Spanish town, I'd recommend San Roque or Pueblo Nuevo de Guadiaro. San Roque is closer to La Linea, but Pueblo Nuevo de Guadiaro is farther away from the big refinery that is between San Roque and Gib, quite nasty if you ask me.

Another option would be to stay in an English style urbanization - there are plenty, with the top ones being Alcaidesa, Sotogrande and Duquesa. These are mainly new towns by the sea, with probably less choice for pubs and tapas bar but still really popular with expats.

Take your pick :)

Giulia

Thanks for all the info Giulia, this will be a great help :-)

Hi,
as per previous reply, the delay is in crossing the border at rush hrs, its best to live in la linea - there are some nice parts - and walk across to avoid the Qs. Buy a bike and cycle, even better. Lots of people live further afield in spain and park at the border car parks then walk or cycle a folding bike. I see hordes of young brit office workers crossing the border on foot every evening going home, after a drink in ocean village where I live. Its no problem if you're young and fit. Best of luck!