Salerno to Malta Ferry

I posted a few weeks ago that I was going to transport my belongings from the UK to Malta in a van, via the Salerno to Malta ferry.
DON'T BOTHER !
Hiring a van is obviously going to be a time sensitive outing. Trying to keep costs to a minimum a military operation was called for. Days driving calculated, road tolls and fuel estimated...ferry booked, ready to go. Not. The ferry was cancelled due to insufficient passengers. Incurring and extra two days on van hire as the ferry only runs twice a week in the winter.
Well, that has to be put down to life and we readjusted our plans.
Van packed and off we go. arriving at Salerno port at midday, well in time for check in time at 5pm. Only to be told the ferry wasn't running, the next would be in 4 days time but that was booked.
Oh right !
They suggested we drive through to south Italy, try and get a ferry across to Sicily and catch the Pozzallo ferry at 9am !!!!!!!!
With no guarantee we would ever get back if they decided to cancel another crossing, we decided to cut our losses and come home.
We will file a complaint and do our best to get compensation for the cost between UK and Salerno and back. They have offered a refund on the ferry crossing, but we don't feel that is good enough.

Take my advice. Ship you kit out in a container and stomach the cost. It's less hassle.... and cheaper in the long run :0(

Well I guess that's another ferry service that will soon disappear!
What a disappointment for you and what terrible customer service.
Hope everything else goes OK.

Terry

Hmm, when did you try to take it? I remember an earlier post of yours saying you had to reschedule... We were in the same situation (regular car though, not a van), we were meant to take it last Sunday (13/10), but were told it wasn't running, so we were rebooked to Tuesday (15/10).

Arrived at the port at 5ish, checked in (was a bit confusing, there's this tiny little office in the middle of nowhere we would have never found, but some guy drove us), then got on board. There were only 8 personal cars, of which 5 went to Malta I think, and very few trucks too, the (gigantic) deck was pretty much empty.

We left a bit late but otherwise no problems. There's a bar/cafetaria on board, not much else in terms of entertainment. Cabin was small but comfortable, clean, with toilet/shower (and you even got towels :)). The sailing was really smooth, boat didn't move at all, you only felt the vibrations of the engines.

I woke up at night when we crossed the strait of Messina, could almost touch Sicily with one hand, while watching an amazing lightning storm over Calabria.

Stopped in Augusta, had breakfast, left on time, beautiful weather, but last bit of the crossing out in the open sea was really choppy, so went back to cabin to lie down, fell asleep again, and only awoke as we entered the Valletta Grand Harbour (on time).

I'm not saying this is the best ferry ride ever, but i guess it could work (if they actually sail and take you on). But i'm really sorry to read about your bad experience.