Children in Sao Paulo

Hi! We are a family with 3 kids (4, 1 and newborn) and we are moving to Sao Paulo soon. We were looking at houses last week. We really liked one in Jardins, also very convenient as it is close to the metro (al itu). But I don't know the area so much, and I am worried, specially for the kids. The school is in Itaim bibi. The condominio is not very prepared for children, so I would like to know if there are playgrounds or places around where I could take him to play with other kids, or if it's worth looking for somewhere else more "children friendly". Additionally, I would like to know if there are places nearby where I could take them for swimming lessons or other sports.

Any advice welcome, as we are a bit lost!

Hi there! Your choice of Jardins is probably the most exclusive in Sao Paulo. Although Jardins is one of the most expensive neighbourhoods with great connections to everything, you must always keep your eyes open. As it is home to a more affluent population, it can be a target for criminals. I don;t want to put you off as it is a lovely area, however always take precautions when returning home, make sure you are not followed and that the street is clear when you arrive at the condo/house. This advice goes for anywhere in Brazil, so it's not new info. You are close to Ibirapuera Park, a lovely large park towards the east of where you live, very child friendly and secure. There is a wonderful museum and auditorium there and a large play area for children and a huge lake. It's not walking distance for small children, but a short bus ride or 5 minute drive/taxi. If they study in Itaim Bibi, there is a large sports complex right next to the Mall Shopping Iguatemi (not the new Iguatemi JK) that caters for all activities from swimming to running, tennis etc. I'm sure it's rather expensive, but is one of the best in the country. I have a student who is a young Olympic grade swimmer and her parents are both prominent Ironman contestants who all use the facilities and they have only great things to say about it.

i hope this info is useful, if you are looking for something on a lower budget, let me know and I'll do some research for you!

Kind regards
Arron

Hi LIV1001
My opinion about Jardins area for families with children it's not recommended because the air is very poluited, the traffic and transit is heavy all day and night , is a business district ...
Try places in Higienopolis, Aclimacao, Pacaembu ... little better for families with children...
Good luck.
Okada