Where can I find:

1-Organic produce, meats, dairy, pastries and bread (does anyone know if fresh blueberries can be found here, or should I stop looking?)

2-Heavy cream (preferably organic)

3-White tea-Kombucha.

4-Dry cleaner that uses wet cleaning and doesn't shout.
The best dry cleaner in the galaxy is based in Mountain View, CA. Nature's Best--divine service and accommodation. I miss you, Meg and Peter :sosad:

5-A decent cobbler, and a knowledgeable tailor.

6-Sushi-grade tuna.

7-Oatmeal (what is it called in Arabic anyway?)

??

Some of the best tuna in the World comes out of Malta & is exported to Japan.  So given that pedigree & our proximity to Malta, I suspect some must make it over here.

At the end of the day I suppose anything can be had from anywhere for the right money. 

Notwithstanding, you are aware that you are no longer in the State of California?

I have found quick cooking oats in Mahari in a tin.   It's Quaker Oats I think.  I use them for cookies.   I'd like to know about finding the rest as well.

Isn't sushi grade tuna fresh tuna.
You should head to the main fish market at Tripoli port, it is superb. Fresh tuna is always avalable.

You won't find fresh blueberries here

Stop looking.

There has to be a farmer or farmers who are, or at least are willing to consider organic methods. I just couldn't find any on my own.

The tiny tuna they bring to markets here is too inferior for proper sashimi.

If anybody is aware of a reasonably priced way of obtaining the above (via import or locally) please advise.

mzsmartypants wrote:

I have found quick cooking oats in Mahari in a tin.   It's Quaker Oats I think.  I use them for cookies.

When can I stop by for some oatmeal raisin cookies?

MoEl wrote:

If you get to the main fish market early enough, there is plenty of decent sized Blue Fin available.

Sandman6 wrote:
MoEl wrote:

If you get to the main fish market early enough, there is plenty of decent sized Blue Fin available.

The one at the main port, with tent-like roofing? how early is early enough?

Yep that'd the place. As early as you want - they usually start coming back in by 4am ;)

at 4am it's gotta be the best sashimi i'll ever have. thanks sandy

Getting close: I thought I found heavy creme (found a product called creme fraiche in french) but it turned out to be some sort of soured creme.

FINE!!!

I'll eat pesticides-saturated, genetically modified bell peppers the size of my head. What do you guys do with your suits and shirts? I fear for mine from those vile Egyptian and Sudanese satans.

(grabbing a kitchen knife and going out to silence some firework b!tch--it's kind words or knife)

If it doesn't work out for you you know where the airport is.

Fair point, but what if there's an "aeroplane" instead of an airplane with a non-organic pilot . . .

;-)

why can't people try to enjoy this country for what it is rather than moaning about what it clearly isn't ?

rant over - now back to worrying about Partick Thistle . . .

LibyanJag wrote:

why can't people try to enjoy this country for what it is rather than moaning about what it clearly isn't ?

Spot on, couldn't agree more !

Is moaning about what it is allowed ?;)

I had to think about that one ;-)

Yes . . . .  I think . . . .

Horizontal Harry wrote:
LibyanJag wrote:

Spot on, couldn't agree more !

Spot on;)

as for the cream, try this either in Dahra (you approach from the bus station, take first turn to the left where meat is sold, go to the turn to the right, turn right, the shop is third or second or forth from the meat shop in the corner, the cream is in the fridge, but you'll have to look for it there as there are lots of things without special care being taken to display them nicely ;) last time I found it in the plastic bag under milk bags :cool:) or in Gergaresh (a small inconspicuous shop with white walls and green doors to the right just before Regatta). 500g cost LYD 5.

http://content.foto.mail.ru/mail/palachakh/1/p-5.jpg

http://content.foto.mail.ru/mail/palachakh/1/p-6.jpg

they also have milk that you'd better boil before drinking.

Hope that will turn organic enough ;) It is locally produced

Thanks, palachakh. I am definitely going for that cream, organic or not (although the one in the picture is zabady=yogurt, not heavy cream)

Thing is, people at stores don't know if dairy they sell came from livestock reared with the use of growth hormones and antibiotics or not. Grocers can't answer similar questions about their produce, nor can butchers about their meat and poultry. And non of them can even tell me who can answer my questions. No 800 number to call or anything ;)

I realize now the irony of my original post. As Libyans say:

واحد مشنوق و واحد باله في الحلوى

But hey, life is too short to live it inconvenienced, right?

well, I can't read what it says in arabic on the box, but on the lid it states it is "fresh cream" in English, which is true, notwithstanding the arabic box (it may be that he's got only these boxes for both cream and yogurt). And it may be the heavy cream that you are looking for, it is very, very fatty. and on the second day it is more like butter really.

I was told this produce comes from a little farm nearby tripoli, and there are telephone numbers on the top of the box, so if you manage to call the owner and find out whether it is organic or not, it would be great if you could feedback it here for the rest to enjoy if it is ;)

And does anyone buy it at some other shops? Particularly closer to Al Mahari and Buraq office in Jamahiriya? Dahra is great but too far away for shopping on foot :rolleyes:

palachakh, can you provide the geographical coordinates of the store using Google Maps?

sorry, I am a total dummy at this.

Just a detailed description, hopefully, you'll find it

P.S. the shop in Dahra belongs to the man who exchanges money, if it is of any help

Thank you. I shall find it with some investigative work.

Lol about the blueberries and heavy cream...

There is an old lady who makes heavy cream in Surt. Her grandson used to drive for our company. I am not sure what percentage it is but tastes great I use it for deserts and such.

She usually asks for 3ld But i give her 5 per liter. Thats lots of work haha!

Besides that she makes this reaaaaaaly heavy cream which is almost spreadable. Delish on toast with honey! Some almonds! Your set!

As for blueberries, Im trying a new blueberry in Surt, I have 8 big green houses one of which I keep as a temperature controlled green house. So far those baby's are doin just fine I expect them to fruit for may. I also have habaneros and Thai chillies workin away. And a whole bunch of perennials at that! Grasses, shrubs! All kinds.

If you are in need I will post it up here when they are ready. GREAT FOR PIE!

MoEl,

noticing that you are doing so well in the Arabic Language, I think you can get around easily.

Writing this Libyan Proverb shows that people around here, I mean Libyans, wouldn't treat you as an expat. as they treat expats very good and all expats, most of them say Libyans are friendly,,, I know now why you are moaning.

Use your Arabic and be down-to-earth, use the magic word and manners ;) ,,, I am sure they will help you. ;)

You feel me now, Samakauk? worsens it is the fact that I speak Arabic with a southern accent (Sabhawi). So when I say "Shuno 7alak=how are you?" Or "Bkam hetha=how much is this?" they mostly think "here comes another provincial schmuck", and every time I pretend I can't speak Arabic I get caught red handed (dammit! I knew should've enrolled in that covert intelligence seminar ;)
Thanks for the encouragement anyway.

and Canadianturkey, tell me about that granny in Surt. how can she be reached?

You are welcome MoEl,

I can help you use the proper Tripoli wording, so u will be alright.

about that old lady in Surt, Surt is quite far from here. so maybe worth looking for her branch in Tripoli ;)

I am not friends with dairy products

what's this turning into? The GILF thread?   :lol::lol::lol:

Lol I aint going to say anything about anyones granny! Lol GILF

I dont know her number or anything, Honestly I dont even think she carries a celly but when I get back to Surt I will tell ya MoEl.

You got one twisted mind, sandi.

samakauk suggests that she may have a "branch" in Tripoli? think so canadianturkey?

MoEl wrote:

You got one twisted mind, sandi.

samakauk suggests that she may have a "branch" in Tripoli? think so canadianturkey?

holy spiders....

whatever next?

family tag team?

where's that guy who calls himself a taxi driver....

maaaan. you dont like heavy cream, sandman, do you?

Canadianturkey please, please let us know when the blueberries are available....you have a definite buyer! Blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes, etc...reminds me of home.  Hope you get a great crop!

actually I prepaid for the entire yield. If anyone tries to outbid me, I'll send my Sebhawi cousins to help him/her change his/her mind. ;)

MoEl wrote:

actually I prepaid for the entire yield. If anyone tries to outbid me, I'll send my Sebhawi cousins to help him/her change his/her mind. ;)

Just as well for you and them that I don't like blueberry's then isn't it :P

K.. dont mess with them Scots.

But now I want a glass of OJ. Simply Orange would be great. I never knew that "juice" could last for 24 months until I shopped in Libya. (clutching hands and begging: save us Whole Foods, heck, even Wal-Mart's fine now)