Driver license conversion.

Hello Expats,
I have a question, if I decide to convert my driver license to a Malaysian driver license. Will my driver license be confiscated? i.e. it will taken or it will still keep my original one?

Thanks.

You get your existing license back.

You will keep the original. Just need letter from your origin country to evident.

actually international law says you should surrender your original licence as you are only allowed one licence.

Obviously some of us forgot to do so ;)

But original licence is technically invalid

Latest changes in process are that the issuing entity in home country confirms authenticity of driving licence.  Without that, no Malaysian Licence swap can be made. Watch out for the descriptions on the internet as they have not been updated. e.g. UK citizens have to get a letter from DVLA confirming licence details and validity before the swap takes place (check on their website for further details and charges).

As always though there are ways round that rule. All rules are flexible in Malaysia ;)

Not this time I think.  The applications just get turned down....  That's how it came to light there was a change of process.

You can keep the original one.

Depending btw where you come from....if its possbile to convert to Malaysian license.

Just heard that according to whether your original licence is on List A or List B of country of origin, where you apply under the new system.  It is any JPJ regional office for List A and Putrajaya for List B.

u will keep ur original one

also better to got international

I applied for conversion and it got rejected. But they have given me a letter stating that I can drive under my International Driving Permit. My visa is for two years and I have been advised to keep that letter with me always when driving...!
I had to get my license endorsed by my embassy here first...!