Your Favorite Indonesian Food

If you had to pick just one Indonesian food that you like most, what would it be? Also would be better if you can share the info on where to find it!!!

Mine would be Pecel sayur or the Javanese steamed vegetables with peanut sauce dressing poured all over it. Note ; its not Gado-Gado.
I love eating it with steamed white rice :-)

*my Indonesian food craving*

Temanggung near Wonosobo.

Restaurant - Zallie
Food  - Nasi gila

Description - A white rice with a chicken sauce, reputably used by NASA as a rocket fuel.

Warning - This dish isn't for wimps or anyone with a heart condition (unless you're suicidal).

Personal note - It's fantastic.

For me Annie, and without second thought, that would be babi guling.  Also, we tend to eat a lot more steamed red rice than white rice…it's healthier and we find it more tasty.   

While babi guling can be found all over Bali, the Gianyar Regency is considered the best area to find outrageously succulent and mouth watering babi guling.  I'm told that is because of the particular foods that the pigs are fed while being raised, the bumbu recipe that the piggy is stuffed with, and the mix of woods that the pig is slowly roasted over.

As kobe beef is to the Hyogo Prefecture of Japan, Gianyar babi guling is to Bali.

In Ubud the best and most popular place to find it is at the original Ibu Oka just off of Jalan Raya.

The local pandang restaurant, no real name but 40 metres away ish, where I am known as Papi! Beef Rendang, rice with fried tempe and perkadel with es Jeruk or kelapa mudah (is that spelt right?).

That keeps me happy

SATAY AYAM!!!

Creamy peanut sauce with kecap manis, side by side with big chunks of lontong!

*drooling*

lukereg wrote:

The local pandang restaurant, no real name but 40 metres away ish, where I am known as Papi! Beef Rendang, rice with fried tempe and perkadel with es Jeruk or kelapa mudah (is that spelt right?).

That keeps me happy

You know what I love most from Padang restaurant? the green sambal with steamed casava leaves!
To correct your spelling ; perkedel and kelapa muda. But you're doing a gd job Luke! Haha. Btw, why Papi? Because you just became one? :D

@mas fred , I still have to go to try the sambal myself. Lol
@Roy, nasi babi guling is indeed yummy,but I havent tried Ibu Oka!
@Sherly, you love satay Ayam , I love sate Kambing with sambal kecap!! I just love it spicy!

Tempe mendoan,an under-cook fried fermented soybean, will be more delicious when we have it with a green chili pepper in first bite. :)

ariwahyudi wrote:

Tempe mendoan,an under-cook fried fermented soybean, will be more delicious when we have it with a green chili pepper in first bite. :)

I had a lot of that from my last trip in Purwokerto! Haha. Its heavenly especially when its hot out of the wok! And yes its not complete without the killer chilis! :D

I love 'Ayam Taliwang' and 'sambal Matah' from Lombok,its not just the chicken with special spices tht I love but I love much the sambal with fresh onion,  chilli  and a lime.. This food is one of exotic food from Indonesia you can find in some restaurant in Jakarta.. And you must try..

nunuk wrote:

I love 'Ayam Taliwang' and 'sambal Matah' from Lombok,its not just the chicken with special spices tht I love but I love much the sambal with fresh onion,  chilli  and a lime.. This food is one of exotic food from Indonesia you can find in some restaurant in Jakarta.. And you must try..

I have my own version of Sambal Matah, I sauted the ingredients for a short time since I dont really like that raw aroma from the shallots. Lol. I also chopped a lot of lemongrass to mix it with. Its pretty essential!
Ibet you like Plecing kangkung aswell? Haha

I guess your version made tht sambal more exotic Annie.. Lol, yeah I love tht plecing kangkung also..but my version is more spicy:)

nunuk wrote:

I guess your version made tht sambal more exotic Annie.. Lol, yeah I love tht plecing kangkung also..but my version is more spicy:)

I have an idea, lets have a cooking party when Im back! :D

Thts a brilliant.. Let's come here.. And rock our kitchen lol:)

I'm still in love with beef Rendeng :) the best I've had was in Harum Manis, but there are so many tasty versions out there and lots of great restaurants that are cheaper

Samhand wrote:

I'm still in love with beef Rendeng :) the best I've had was in Harum Manis, but there are so many tasty versions out there and lots of great restaurants that are cheaper

I guess I should try the Rendang from HM then :-)
Though just for info, there is this Padang restaurant thats been around for..ever. Since 1967 to be exact. Very well-known and the price is slightly higher than other places.
I wrote a bit about it here http://www.epicuriousannie.com/1/post/2 … -food.html

I go there quite often when Im in town.

JL. Ir Juanda No. 27 – Central Jakarta 10120

Thanks Annie :D I'll go check it out!

Samhand wrote:

Thanks Annie :D I'll go check it out!

My recommendation would be the soto sapi (small portion but heavenly) but you have to ask for it, then try the crunchy fried chicken with sambal hijau and the steamed casava leaves, beef rendang and the jackfruit curry.
Let me know how you like it :-)

mine is Jengkol Balado (spicy jengkol) :p .. especially if we used javanese chili (we called it rawit jawa). if you dont like it spicy, you can make Semur Jengkol (main ingredients is ketchup),we usually still add the chili, so the taste is sweet and lil bit spicy.

warning : after  eating jengkol, our mouth (also our urinate n feces) will smell very not good for a few days.

veryyyyy delicioussssss :))))

"warning : after  eating jengkol, our mouth (also our urinate n feces) will smell very not good for a few days."

Kinda like after eating that God awful durian, eh? :lol:

Ubudian wrote:

"warning : after  eating jengkol, our mouth (also our urinate n feces) will smell very not good for a few days."

Kinda like after eating that God awful durian, eh? :lol:

hehehehe..smell like hell, taste like heaven heheheheh

Ah I missed Sop Buntut.

It was simply amazing when I ate it in Makassar.

lukereg wrote:

Ah I missed Sop Buntut.

It was simply amazing when I ate it in Makassar.

u should try Sop Buntut Cut Mutia, location is near Cut Mutia Mosque at Menteng. The legendary one in Jakarta :)

Sop Buntut Cut Meutia
Jl. Menteng Kecil No. 4, Jakarta Pusat
Phone: 021-3924213, 081315283534

rastyy wrote:

mine is Jengkol Balado (spicy jengkol) :p .. especially if we used javanese chili (we called it rawit jawa). if you dont like it spicy, you can make Semur Jengkol (main ingredients is ketchup),we usually still add the chili, so the taste is sweet and lil bit spicy.

warning : after  eating jengkol, our mouth (also our urinate n feces) will smell very not good for a few days.

I prefer Petai then Jengkol! Especially eaten with sambal terasi and steaming hot rice and ikan asin. Haha. Now I sound like a good Indonesian!

Sophie Fisher wrote:
rastyy wrote:

I prefer Petai then Jengkol! Especially eaten with sambal terasi and steaming hot rice and ikan asin. Haha. Now I sound like a good Indonesian!

i dont really like petai, but i believe sambel terasi,steaming hot rice and ikan asin will be very very very tasty..hihihii..

you should try sambel jelantah,,chili,union and a lil bit hot oil , eat that only with steaming hot rice and kerupuk,,taste like heaven. :D

Restaurant SS.
Many branches around.

They serve various types of sambal but other foods are all side dishes.
Excellent food.

facebook.com/pages/Waroeng-Spesial-Sambal-SS/318161158195628?ref=ts&fref=ts

Thanks mas fred, still havent tried the Bintaro branch just yet.
A Sunday lunch would be good.

I love "rujak cingur and krupuk" from Malang 
I thing verry nice

Garudhea wrote:

I love "rujak cingur and krupuk" from Malang 
I thing verry nice

I am ywt to experience the taste of rujak cingur. Any idea where to find it?

Wow. .  .amazing about you
when u visit to Indonesia again?. .
I miss
rgd

what if the carp soup + crackers + Karedok
if at night what if rawon ..?

If you have a chance to visit Semarang city, please try sambel tumpang.
Will give you another culinary experience.

Sophie Fisher wrote:

Thanks mas fred, still havent tried the Bintaro branch just yet.
A Sunday lunch would be good.

I've been to the BSD branch a couple of times now.
It's small but the food is just as fantastic.

I love SS.

OMG - I sound like an advert now and I have nothing to do with the place other than being a very satisfied customer.

Mmmmmmm, sambal bullshit. Quite wonderful.

tito lembar praditya wrote:

what if the carp soup + crackers + Karedok
if at night what if rawon ..?

I quite like Karedok aswell since its similar to pecel  :-)
Thinking abt it makes me drool.

JDewi wrote:

I was just looking for sambal recipes and saw Sambal Tumpang. It looks pretty good and I love Tempe! Thanks for the recommendation! I will try it for sure :-)

mas fred wrote:

I've been to the BSD branch a couple of times now.
It's small but the food is just as fantastic.

I love SS.

OMG - I sound like an advert now and I have nothing to do with the place other than being a very satisfied customer.

Mmmmmmm, sambal bullshit. Quite wonderful.

There's an idea!
Ask them for commission! Lol

Sophie Fisher wrote:
JDewi wrote:

I was just looking for sambal recipes and saw Sambal Tumpang. It looks pretty good and I love Tempe! Thanks for the recommendation! I will try it for sure :-)

Let me know when you visit semarang, will show you much more interesting culinary here.

Thank you JDewi! I will definitely give you a shout when I plan to go to Semarang! :-)

I really adore any recipe from the list of Indonesian dishes. They all have such a deep and rich taste.

AmandaAmanda wrote:

I really adore any recipe from the list of Indonesian dishes. They all have such a deep and rich taste.

I'm happy to hear! :-)
Indeed, Indonesian food is very rich in flavor. We just love our spices!

of course sate kambing :D yammi