Ever lived in Seattle?

I hear the weather in Cuenca is very similar to that in Seattle.  Any related comments would be greatly appreciated.

The weather in Cuenca does not resemble the climate in Seattle in any way. At all.

Cuenca is nearly at 0 degrees latitude and 8,000 feet in elevation. The climate is generally mild and warm, even in the 'rainy' season.

Seattle is at nearly 48 degrees north latitude, about sea level in elevation, and has a predominately marine climate.

The two climates could hardly be more different.

So the answer to your question is a resounding 'no' from someone who has had the misfortune to live in Seattle and has visited Cuenca. I found no similarities.

My sister does, but I'm from north of the border (Vancouver BC)

Plus I'm in Quito now, so a little bit different then Cuenca, but ...

Up here, at 2800 meters above sea level, on the equator, no, a pacific maritime climate it ain't. but....

There are not 4 seasons here. There is the dry season (cool nights, temperate days) and the rainy season (cool with clear mornings). Temperature wise, it is never really hot, due to the elevation, but the midday sun can burn 'cause it's right overhead, and there ain't that much ozone to protect you at 2800 meters above sea level. Get in the shade and it doesn't feel hot, just comfy. Early mornings feel cool. Rainy, windy days as well.

So, I can see (and feel) similarities, but differences as well. Rainy season here might be like late spring up there.

Well, I live in PDX (18 years), but a couple of good places for weather data (historical and norms) are (copy into your browser):

worldweatheronline.com/Cuenca-weather-averages/Azuay/EC.aspx

and

worldclimateguide.co.uk/climateguides/ecuador/cuenca.php

My 8 weeks (two stints of 4 weeks during Jan/Feb and Jul/Aug) are certainly not that historical. But I would say that Jan/Feb there were 3 major rains (with thunder). The rest were 15 to 30 minute things that were more just a nuisance. During the Jul/Aug trip, I was afraid that I was going to be "run out of tow" since it didn't rain for like 2 weeks after we got there :-) It seemed that when it did rain, it mostly happened at night.

Hope this helps.

symo

I put together some charts matching Seattle weather against Cuenca.  Both are lowest on rainfall July and August.  But in July/August it's warmest in Seattle and coolest in Cuenca (although temperature seems almost constant in Cuenca.  Very interesting.

We live north of Seattle and are in what some consider the "banana belt" as far as sun and less rain go (rain shadow by the Olympic mountains to the southwest).  We are right on the water (inland Puget Sound) so it's humid.  This summer is way below normal for rain and way above for heat and sun, compared to Seattle 70 miles south, or Vancouver BC about the same north.  The winters are mild but cloudy and drizzly - some real rain but not a lot, just constant precip of some sort - but gloomy/humid most of the time.  And, since we are at 48 degree latitude we have very short winter days.  So it drives some people nuts.  On the other hand - everything is green here.  We have a little snow but not much and some years none (last year).  It does freeze at night in the winter and it is damp so frost on the windshield is common.  But often the diff between night and day temps is minor - 10 - 20 F degrees.

Before that we lived in Colorado for 30 years.  High altitude, dry, tons of sunlight, lower latitude but way north of the Equator.  Not a lot of rain - but big thunderstorms and pouring sometimes in the summer.  Lots of snow in the winter but sunny days melt it all and in the sun you are warm/hot.  Intense UV of course - high altitude, sun.  You can fry skiing with the sun.  We had a house at 8500' altitude so there was less oxygen - but we loved it.  Big temperature swings, especially in the winter - 30-40 F changes at times.

It sounds like Cuenca has some of both areas as far as weather - mild temps with not much change from night to day.  And it is cloudier than Denver but less than Washington.  The days should have much more sunlight than either Washington or Colorado - a good thing. 

One thing I am puzzled about though - I just looked at the current weather for Cuenca and it says it was 35 F last night and only expected to be 37 early afternoon and then 67 late afternoon/early evening.  That is much cooler than what I have heard from other posters.  I also have read that no one has central heat in their houses or apartments.  Seems to me that 37 F would feel kind of chilly in an unheated place and that getting to mid-60's part of the day wouldn't be enough to warm up a place before night.  I looked at the averages (per the site listed in a prior post here) and 30's don't seem unusual.  That's lower than my impression. 

And some have said (and on some tourist guides) that it can rain every day there, but only for the morning and then be sunny in the afternoon. 

Despite all this confusion on my part, seems like most everyone who lives there feels that the weather is good overall, and some really like it.  We think we would like it as well - more sunlight and less rain than we have.  Sounds like Colorado mountain weather (like Aspen e.g.) actually - rainier than Denver but sun every day and cooler overall - without the snow. 

If any one can add any insight on what my impression of Cuenca weather would be - have at it.  Looks like you need to carry a rain coat or umbrella a lot just in case - ?si o no?  can't figure out how to put accents on letters or upside down question marks - LOL
Joe

Joe, I use those sites more for annual averages. Using Accuweather, they are showing 52F right now with today hi of 62F tonight low 49F and high tomorrow of 70F.

Indeed right now World Weather is showing that it's 36F. No way, no how. Sure it could get that low, but it would be an extreme and not the norm.

Their annual averages are more reality.

symo

Hey symo,

Thanks.  I have heard that the weather sites are misleading on averages but am surprised that the current weather is so far off.  You are confirming that it is.  The real temps you are having are completely within the "good" zone for us.  I'm not going to think about that then and just look forward to coming.

Joe

Well, I lived in Seattle for 12 years and loved it.  I'm in Florida now and the heat is doing me in.  If there was way to attach an image to this post I have a pretty interesting graph.  I do agree that the humidity difference is large between Cuenca and Seattle.

Not even close to Seattle. Cuenca is often cloudy, but the sun does shine, and it's never as cold and wet as Seattle. I would say that the few minutes of summer that one exoeriences in Seattle can be experienced more often than not in Cuenca, but the weather here is so much better than Seattle the majority of the time! I grew up in Seattle, lived there til I was 22, then left but came back 1 or 2 times a year as my parents lived there. I live in Cuenca now. Best weather anywhere.

I live in Seattle and the weather is not similar to Cuenca,Ecuador.Cuenca has a much nicer climate.

I liked the weather in Seattle because I was a skiing addict and the summers were perfect.  For sure the heat here in Florida sucks.

I plotted a graph of historical Cuenca vs Seattle weather.  The patterns are similar but the temperature range is much greater in Seattle.  Is there any way to attach or paste an image in one of these threads

I'm from the Seattle area. I can't compare to Cuenca, but Quito is similar to Seattle's spring/fall climate, but with a little less rain and much more intense UV.

No umbrella just duck into a cafe or overhang and wait.

I am tired of being wet and cold all winter, sautéed all summer.  Looking forward to moderate--just wish I could figure out what "moderate" really means.  Guess I'll figure it out and move 50 miles if I want something different?  Making my first trip in 2 weeks.  Been planning for a long time.  Time to start looking for my next home!!:)

Cuenca has the "Goldie Locks" climate.Happy Trails whatever trail you choose

Seattle is far too wet and cold for us any more. Too little Summer and too much rain. Too cold and wet all the time.  Here where we live it is cloudy and Sunny.  There is a wet rainy season from Dec. to Feb.  Drier after that.  Basically we get from about 70 to 85 degrees here.  Sometimes dips to 67 at night or up to 90 on hotter days.  Very moderate temps. And if any moisture rainy showers at night time.  In Seattle I remember when it rained for days sometimes.  No comparison to here.  I spent 59 years there . Born in Seattle.  I'm sure that's why we want trees and good growing soil here.  Living at the Ocean with nice warm Ocean water what a change for us. 
Smaller town here, no traffic. 
We are developing Property north of Bahia in Canoa.  Great calm relaxing place here in Bahia.  Tired of cold and arthritic symptoms from the wet cold in Seattle.  Soothing breeze blows year round.  Far more tranquil lifestyle here and very friendly nice local people here.  Enjoy Ecuador the entire Ocean here is great!
Living It and Loving It here in Bahia, Ecuador.
      Charlie

I think that is rediculous as it snows in Seattle in the Winter, and I recall a time or two that it got very cold indeed.  Like 8 degrees F.
We are lucky to get 90 days of sunshine a year.
This is not what I am anticipating in Cuenca.

I can't remember in the last 50+ years that it ever got to 8 degrees F in Seattle. Snow is rare, and if it falls in Seattle, it usually melts by midday. Global warming. The last big snow storm that I remember lasting more than a day or 2 was in 71/72 winter. Maybe someone is thinking of the mountains east of Seattle, where you can ski in the winter less than an hour's drive away. It never snows in Cuenca, never gets to freezing. Maybe up higher in the Cajas, to the west of Cuenca, but not here.

Good morning everyone.  Buenas Dias.  We lived in Kent WA which is 22 miles from Downtown Seattle.  Each year we usually got about 2 to 3 snowfalls that lasted 3 to 5 days. Sometimes it only lasted two days.  Sometimes less even.  It has diminished greatly the past 10 years or so. We had huge windstorms that were very damaging, power out regularly , freezing rain, Earthquakes just like here and really were cold which means lots of heating bills, very expensive!   But we were there last year from August to the first week of Feb. It rained and rained and rained and was cold BRRR.  We froze back there after being here for 3 months.  Amazing how cold and dreary it is and how I lived with it for so long in Seattle. We literally counted the days til our return.  Stayed in Quito for 3 weeks also colder and again we couldn't wait to return to Bahia and it's warmth!  Each person may want something different, but our choice was warm beaches. Always went to a warm beach for each vacation so we decided to live at the beach and be warm!!
Seattle is beautiful due to it's trees and the abundant natural landscapes, but just too cold and dreary in Fall and Winter.  The Ocean is freezing to swim in and always  you need a jacket when outside.  I don't wear one here at all.  No heat needed ever!  Tee shirt shorts and sandals.  Enjoy your journey so much to see and learn here in Ecuador.
Living It and Loving It here in Bahia, Ecuador
Charlie

My wife and I are planning a scouting trip in early '14. I happen to be a trained hydrologist and we live in Olympia, WA (to those not familiar it is 60 mi's south of Seattle). As far as your "rain for days" comment, several years ago we had 41 days of rain.....Ewwwwwwwwwww

Really looking forward to exploring Cuenca!

Mutso