Visitor through Perm. Resident.

I have been to several sites and this is what I got out of reading them, regarding visitor visa through filing for permanent residency.  Can anyone concur?

You obtain a one month entry card on entering the country. After 30 days, you go to an immigration office and renew the tourist card monthly – also known as a visitor's visa for U.S. $25 a month for up to six months. Thereafter it will cost you U.S. $50 a month. You can continue renewing your visitor's visa almost indefinitely until you decide that it may be more economical to apply for permanent residency.

Application fees for Permanent Residency vary by nationality, ranging from U.S. $250 to $5,000. For U.S. nationals, the fee is US$1,000 per person.

I have been told by individuals that this is not correct, but numerous sites tell me otherwise.

Thanks In Advance,

Laura

same that I have read

i was recently told, by an expat living there, that i was wrong.

Thanks for the reply.

Laura

I've also read basically the same thing. Recently I spoke with a man at DFW airport that is a US Citizen but has been living in Belize for the past 5 years. He has never applied for residency and owns 2 properties there. I was in San Pedro last month and was told you can actually go to an immigration office and pay the Visa fees for a whole year in advance. Don't know if that is actually true but worth checking out. Also, if you leave for a week after 6 months, I think the next 6 months Visa fees are $25 per month.. I'm still gathering information myself so not sure if the "rules" have or will change by the time I plan to move there.

yes, i believe i read that after your 6 months, you can leave Belize for 72 hr then come back to pay the initial $25 again then $50 after that (just like your first time).  Or opt the permanent residency (after you meet that criteria) where you don't have to worry about ever letting your visitor card expire.

Well, I have already bought a lot on Ambergris Caye but wont be retiring for 4-5 more years, so no telling what will have changed by then. At least I have several more years to collect info and plan my escape!!

My husband and I have plans to vacation there in October.  Then, we will retire come the first of the year.

I'm convinced that San Pedro Belize is God's country!! For all of its flaws I have had NO complaints overall. People are soooo incredible, love the SAGA Society and the Holy Cross. Some of the best street vendors ever.

I will put that on my list to check out.

Thank You