Niteroi vs Florianopolis vs Belo Horizonte for study abroad

Hello, I'm about to head to college, and I definitely want to do a study abroad. I'm half-Brazilian, and I'm taking Portuguese in college, so I'm planning on going to Brazil for study abroad. The only study abroad offered is a very general program, you attend one of three universities in the cities I mention in the title. You are essentially a student there, live with a family, etc. so all the programs are about equal.

So, all academics and such equal, which of the three cities is the best for a college student looking for a lot of natural beauty, amazing sights, and of course a fun city for a college kid. I went to Belo for 6 weeks or so many summers as a kid, until I was 11 or so, and I wasn't that impressed, but then again, I was an elementary school aged kid, and I don't remember that much.

Thanks in advance

Well depends on whether or not daddy's got more money than God and wants to bankroll you. If not I'd steer clear of Rio for a number of reasons. Too distracting for a student, you're going to get poor grades unless you're super focused and can dedicate yourself to studies as opposed to the partying 24/7 that you're going to get invited to. Cost of living is climbing every day and will go right through the roof as it gets down to the wire for the World Cup and Olympics. Not to mention the complete lack of public safety in Rio and the surrounding areas.

Belo Horizonte is a beautiful city, UFMG has an excellent reputation and you'd do well there. However having lived there I'd have to say the city is kind of boring, poorly administered and kind of backward thinking. Also, extremely difficult to get around in the city. Looking at it, it's almost impossible to believe that BH was one of Brazil's much touted "Planned Cities".

I have not been to Florianópolis, however have heard nothing but rave reviews about the city. Just guessing here, but I'd give it my vote.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Well considering about 90% of my college cost is covered by need-based aid, I surely don't have more money than God. I just wondered if Niteroi would be slower pace, more focused, etc. but if it was smack dab in Rio I probably wouldn't consider it. 

The university in Belo is actually Pontificia Universidad Catolica, while the other two cities are UFs. I guess the reason Belo didn't seem beautiful was because we were mostly cooped up in our Vovó's downtown apartment.

I was leaning towards Florianopolis. I can always visit Rio, and have been before, and I basically spent my summers in Belo. I think Florianopolis would be a new adventure. But I definitely value the opinions with more experience than fairly foggy memories.

Niteroi is just across the bridge from Rio and makes up part of the Metropolitan area. Too quick paced, too expensive, too dirty and unsafe. I'd scuttle the idea if I were you. Visits to Rio and surrounding area will satisfy any needs you have for the place.