Juris Doctor (JD) in Brazil nor considered a Masters degree?

I have a question and thought maybe you  guys could shed some light on it. I am trying to do to a Phd in Brazil but apparently the American Juris Doctor ( JD ) is nor considered as a master degree which means I would have to go back to do a masters in order to proceed to a Phd... I am concerned with the waste of time since I already have a pos graduate degree ..... do you know anything about that?

That's absolutely correct. The Juris Doctor in the USA is, in fact, different than in other countries, in that only in the USA is it sufficient to enter practice. It was created to replace the LL.B and was only later adopted by other countries. Brazil is NOT one of those and as such does not recognize the J.D. The reason for this it that will the J.D. is a three year program, it takes 5 years to earn one's law degree in Brazil.

If you are intending to go on to pursue a Ph.D I would suggest that you do so before coming to Brazil. Things are not about to be changed here so you'll either have to go back and redo a Masters Degree or forego the Doctorate. Different countries, different rules....  When in Rome!

Thank you!! I needed the confirmation since sometimes the Universities do not reply on time.  I wanted to be sure.
I will enter the Master program again then.
Thank you so much!!! :)

Hi Bel324,

I'm also looking at master's programs (lato sensu) at Brazilian private universities and am trying to find out whether "revalidation" of undergraduate degrees earned in other countries (i.e. the U.S.) is required in order to study in Brazil.  Do you know?  It appears the degree "revalidation" process is definitely required for those who want to practice their profession in Brazil (i.e. doctors and lawyers), but I'm not clear on whether it is required for those who want to study for master's degrees.  Any guidance is appreciated!

Traveler