Looking for a insightful exprience

I'm South African and new to Riyadh. I need a crash course on survival skills in Riyadh. Hahaha!!! Maybe we should start with baby steps first. Inbox me if you know about things that you think I should know or if you have some up coming events. Thank you in advance!!!

Just Jay wrote:

I'm South African and new to Riyadh. I need a crash course on survival skills in Riyadh. Hahaha!!! Maybe we should start with baby steps first. Inbox me if you know about things that you think I should know or if you have some up coming events. Thank you in advance!!!

Might be nice if you told us a bit about yourself first :)

1). dont piss of the arabs
2). dont do anything sexually in public
3). dont do anything gay
4). dont steal off go your hands
5). dont have an affair you will be stoned to death
6). dont have any adult collections
7). dont expect to much of the locals you will be dissapointed
8). make sure u live on a compound otherwise u will be bored shitless
9). Just remember your here for the money

other then this your pretty much okay

choudhers wrote:

1). dont piss of the arabs
2). dont do anything sexually in public
3). dont do anything gay
4). dont steal off go your hands
5). dont have an affair you will be stoned to death
6). dont have any adult collections
7). dont expect to much of the locals you will be dissapointed
8). make sure u live on a compound otherwise u will be bored shitless
9). Just remember your here for the money

other then this your pretty much okay

:top:

Add to that list:

1. Don't talk about your religion (if you're not Muslim) and don't wear any kind of religious 'insignia' (cross, etc.)

2. Don't order a ham sandwich at a restaurant lol

3. Don't wear shorts or tank tops.

4. Be very very careful about eating/drinking/smoking (even chewing gum) during Ramadan.

5. Don't wear any jewelry other than a watch or wedding band.

6. If you are male, keep your hair reasonably short (mutawa don't like men with long hair).

ONE more, and this is quite probably the best piece of advice you'll get: 

7.  No matter how frustrated you become during a transaction that would take 5 minutes in the West but 3 hours here, never lose your temper or try to intimidate.  Smile, be pleasant, make small jokes.  If you are liked, things suddenly get done very quickly (not always efficiently, unfortunately, but that's another matter lol).

Alliecat wrote:

ONE more, and this is quite probably the best piece of advice you'll get: 

7.  No matter how frustrated you become during a transaction that would take 5 minutes in the West but 3 hours here, never lose your temper or try to intimidate.  Smile, be pleasant, make small jokes.  If you are liked, things suddenly get done very quickly (not always efficiently, unfortunately, but that's another matter lol).

:up:

Firstly, I would love to thank everyone for the helpful information. Secondly, I would love to tell you more about myself. For now I will just indicate that I am a 30 year old female, a teacher and an extrovert. I prefer physical contact with people rather than been on the internet too much. For the creative minds not that kind of physical contact. Hahahaha! Lastly, Coffee invites are welcomed on request. Just inbox me, please. Please be patient as I might not reply immediately to your invites as am trying to explore my new habitat. I sincerely hope you all have a fabulous weekend.

dont forget to say assalamalaikum....