Moving to Bali

I've been reading everyone else's plans to move to Bali and that has been my dream for 5 years and my husbands dream for 10! I've worked up the nerve to actually do it. I have been several times and made some very good Balinese friends  one of which has offered to sponsor us (since we are about 11 years short of retirement).

I plan on bringing my mother as well who is of retirement age and her medical insurance will cover her world wide BIG RELIEF. We plan on selling our home and all of our personal belongings and planning on a budget of 2000.00 US dollars a month and making it stretch for 11 years. If  we come up short we can draw early or go to our emergency back up of selling an investment property and come back home if needed.

I eas in Ubud in March been several times to Sanur, Kuta, Seminyak but we love Ubud. The only good thing about my situation is that I won't have to work but we want to. I have a degree in education and my husband is a general contractor that can do it all. Maybe we may get lucky but we are airing on the side of we don't  and if we will be able to live  comfortably on 2000.00 us a month.

A few years ago I started importing goods from Bali and did it as a side business but I am not sure I will be successful as an exporter I would still give it a try since it is already set up.

Can anyone share with me their experiences of moving and what they regret if anything?
My heart is ready but there is a little part of me saying "girl your crazy!"

To be totally honest with you, the only regret I have with moving to Bali from the US 15 years ago is that I didn't do it sooner.

Good luck with your move and with luck I'll run into you sooner or later here in Ubud.

Kind regards, Roy

Thank you for your reply I sincerely appreciate it!

Not to get all philosophical, but as I grow older I find that my biggest regrets aren't with some of the things I did do, but rather with those things that I didn't do.   

To be perfectly honest, expats ebb and flow like the tide here in Bali.  Or, another phrase I like, “many are called, but few are chosen.”

It's really easy to be totally seduced by this paradise on earth, however, those who keep their head on straight, are accepting of the local culture, and maintain a sense of humor, generally do fine.

Yes I totally understand and have seen examples from our many visits there and the many other places we've gone. Seeing visitors upset and frustrated that someone doesn't speak English when they themselves are not speaking English well!

I do not want to take from Bali, I hope to be able to offer something, if I can't find work teaching (paid) I would still be happy to teach anyone that I could. I love the culture and I know there are something's I am not going to like. That's everywhere especially in my own country!

Each trip I've made I bring clothes (new) or only worn a few times  that no longer fit me even though in my mind I am convinced I will fit them again.... One day. People were so appreciative and I was so happy that I was able to offer that. (I am not tooting my own horn) but we are nice people but not fools either.

I just received my Instant Indonesian language book trying to learn a little but hopefully if everything works out we will take classes there.

Do you have any idea how much a home rents/leases for just outside of Ubud 2-3 bedroom I know it's a vague question.

Thanks

If you're serious about learning bahasa Indonesia, have a look here:

cintabahasa.com/indonesian-language-courses-ubud-bali/

You could start from where you are now using your computer.  As for me, nothing beats a “sleeping dictionary” but in our home we emphasize English just to be sure our three boys are excellent in Indonesian, Balinese and English. 

Giving back to Bali what she gives you is essential to a happy life here…no doubt about that.  Many expats fail in that regard…thus they flow out, like the tide. 

Long term rentals in the Ubud area run the whole gamut between ultra expensive and very affordable.  I've seen some decent places leased out recently near me for under 100 million a year, but those bargains are getting harder and harder to find.

Land prices are soaring, and even in my own village, land which we used to be able to buy for 50 million an are just ten years ago is now being grabbed up by Balinese at 250 million an are.  And this is no real estate bubble either…rather it's almost a certainty that this appreciation will continue.

I will definitely check out the link, my husband is using Rosetta Stone or trying he's from England and struggling. 100 million is great but I understand that's ballpark at least that is consistent with what I thought it would be. I definitely would like cable (what is available) and wifi/ internet since I am going to still operate my ecommerce hopefully have more options to sell once I am there. But if I have to move a little further out or different area we will do what's best for the family we are flexible.

What do you do for insurance? I looked at membership at the BIMC hospital and we were thinking that route do yiu know anything about that? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions once again.

Wait actually I thought it would be 1000.00 used a month.

100 million IDR a year works out to roughly US $850 a month. 

BIMC is one of the more expensive options for medical care/insurance here on Bali.

Personally I'd suggest you pick up a good expat medical insurance plan offered by William Russell of London and brokered here through Sue Speak at Bali Medical Insurance.

http://www.balimedicalinsurance.com/

That insurance will cover you anywhere in the world* and you can tailor make the plan to suit your specific needs.  One tip here…use a high annual deductible…an out of pocket amount you can afford, as that will keep your premiums lower. 

I find the new international wing at Sanglah in Denpasar to be excellent and if you're on a KITAS visa the rates are pretty much the same as for the locals.  For something very serious you'd want to be medivaced to either Singapore (Mount Elizabeth Hospital) or Bangkok (Bumrungrad Hospital) and your insurance would cover that. 

For WiFi, you'd get that through Telkom and for cable we use the satellite network called Indovision. 

*Except for the US where you'd only be covered for up to two weeks a year…no surprise there given the outrageous medical costs in the US.

Thank you so much you have given us so much information we really appreciate it!

It's all in the spirit of what you already understand…the concept of giving back or what the Balinese would call nanceb…the community helping the community “one for all, all for one” or whatever floats your boat in discussing the issue.   

When I first moved here from the US many years ago there were those expats who helped me out a whole lot too. 

So, sama, sama for your thanks, and one day you'll likely be doing the same thing for someone else.

Cheers!  Roy

Terima kasih!

Expect nothing and you'll regret nothing. Set your expectations high and you'll regret your ever came here.

“Set your expectations high and you'll regret your ever came here.”

That's a common excuse I often hear from those who can't accept personal responsibility for their failures.  For them it's always somebody else's fault.

I agree.

bojog26 wrote:

Expect nothing and you'll regret nothing. Set your expectations high and you'll regret your ever came here.

:P That is sad! these words is unworthy to say, especially for a place like Bali! Get lost will ya.

Bali still a beautiful place to live. Follow your heart, don't listen what people say. And all the best for you and your family!

Thank you that is exactly what I plan to do take a calculated best planned move for me and my family. I know people say that we are responsible for our own happiness and for me that is Ubud,Bali.

:) Matur suksma!

Hello CJSuggs08 -> In english please! :D

Thank you,
Aurélie

Aurélie wrote:

Hello CJSuggs08 -> In english please! :D

Thank you,
Aurélie

youtube.com/watch?v=C-f8hwafsIU :D

Matur Suksma in Balinese mean  you are very welcome! :)

“Matur Suksma in Balinese mean you are very welcome!”

And moreover Aurélie, it's a term used fairly commonly by expats here on Bali.  Think of it in the same commonality of use as "aloha" being used on Hawaii.

Hopefully bahasa Bali will not go down the same road as bahasa Hawaii almost did…that being close to utter extinction.

Ok guys,

Does any one know how or what is the procedures for brewing kit ship in to Bali?, I heard that the custom official there might a bit tight with anything in the name of Alcohol. Oh by the way , it
is a home kit one so, it's not that big size or for commercial (business) purpose!

Thanks in advance for your point of view ;)

On and off for the past 5 or so years there has been a GREAT micro brewery here in Bali called Storm Beer.

Just Google it and maybe consider contacting the owners.

That said, the short answer to what you ask is that any production of alcoholic beverages here in Bali (and I include all the local home made arak, brem, and tuak) is 100% illegal and not something a foreigner should consider being involved.

The local Balinese can "dance around" this a bit...it's needed for a ceremony or some other excuse, but a foreigner hasn't a chance and if you are caught, the consequences are not good for you. 

Bintang, which is always available isn't so bad, and when the various Storm Brews are available, they are fantastic.

@ Ubudian

Thank you for your input! Need to check out more to Storm. It probably the closest to what I am at about beer. Preferred Micro Brewery beer instead regular beer products.

Cheers!

In a prior incarnation (LOL) I lived in Boston and was a zealot of one of the first modern micro breweries in the US...Sam Adams.

That was a long time ago and I think (but can't really recall) that those memories were all good!  LOL

Something about Micro Brewery that made them stand up above and beyond other beer products. IPA and all those kind of stuff it just, .. great taste, full flavor!

We just had our Memorial Day weekend here, and nothing can go along with BBQ here except good friends and beer of course :cheers: