The unofficial web page of the greater Cuenca expat community

FYI, I am giving translations a different color in order to distinguish them from my opinions or observations.

This story caught by eye for a couple of reasons.

Según el informe policial, la noche del domingo tres individuos asaltaron a un taxista bajo la modalidad secuestro express, y cuando se percataron de que eran perseguidos por la Policía trataron de fugar, emprendiéndose una persecución hasta que dos sujetos identificados como Juan José P. C. y Yandry Jimmy A. B. fueron aprehendidos cuando escapaban por la avenida Ordóñez Lasso.

According to the police reports, two individuals assalted a taxi under the method of "express kidnapping", but were later apprehended on Avenida Ordoñez Lasso.

Of course I had posted previously on my non-blog about a "express kidnapping" when that technique was used to mug a presidential candidate in Quito.

Ignacio Benítez, jefe de la Zona Seis de Policía, dijo que una vez fueron capturados e interrogados sobre el paradero del otro compinche, declararon que estaba en su puesto de trabajo.

Cuando los uniformados fueron a verificar esa información se encontraron con la novedad de que se trataba de Rómulo Anderson B. L., quien se encontraba en una caseta ubicada en las calles Darquea Granda y Rafael Fajardo, cumpliendo las labores de guardia de seguridad en el conjunto residencial Puertas del Sol.

Once captured they were interrogated about the whereabouts of another associate, and they declared he was at work.

When the police went to verify that information, they found the unique circumstance that the individual in question was located in a guard house fulfilling his dutes work at the residential building Puertas del Sol.

I am assuming the Puertas del Sol building he was working at was the following in Gringolandia, on Ordoñez Lasso, although the streets mentioned in the article are just behind the Oro Verde hotel, so there could be another Puertas del Sol.

http://www.inmobiliariatomebamba.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/propiedades/departamento-cuenca-ed-puertas-del-sol-fachada.jpg

Well,
it certainly pays off to have a job that requires a gun. Comes in handy when you're doing your part time job of thuggery!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqwXrXr52W3Jt-dMDr_LC-BQuHyjPsIZWr_ga48H2bqWdLsD_-Uncle SamŽs man in Ecuador--Adam Namm--responded to CorreaŽs insults with the following brief statement:

“El gobierno de los Estados Unidos continuará manteniendo su posición en defensa de la libertad de expresión como un derecho humano universal. El respeto y la tolerancia son los cimientos de las sociedades libres”,

The government of the United States will continue maintaining its position in defense of the liberty of expression as a universal human right. Respect and tolerance are the foundation of free societies.

Some weeks back there was a newspaper article that mentioned that there were free public wifi zones throughout Cuenca. I had wondered where they were. Well, thanks to a GringoTree email, I now know where a few of them are:

Parque Calderon
Escalinata, at the base of Calle Hermano Miguel
San Sebastian Plaza

Do you really want to be seen using your sophisticated hardware in public?  Isn't that asking for trouble?

I probably wouldnŽt do more than a quick check of the email with my ipod touch.

thanks

Ecuador is certainly not alone in having electronics devices ripped out of peoples hands.
I'm in Atlanta and yesterday there was a news report about how common iit's becoming here. It's so common they have a name for it. It's called Apple picking.

Mela1 wrote:

Ecuador is certainly not alone in having electronics devices ripped out of peoples hands.
I'm in Atlanta and yesterday there was a news report about how common iit's becoming here. It's so common they have a name for it. It's called Apple picking.

Easy to avoid, just don't buy Apple products.  The report I saw from Ecuador was two people using their laptops on their porch, then the home was broken into in the middle of the night and the laptops stolen.  Got a name for that in Atlanta?

No name that I've that I've heard of yet. Is it common enough in Ecuador that they have a name for it there? Here when they break in during the middle of the night, losing a lap top is the least of our worries.

When I was living in Oregon, my house was broken into 3 times in about 6 weeks. Police say the thieves like to give you just enough time to replace everything. Didn't catch if they had a name for that either...was just told it was common.

In the 65 years I lived in the US (Arizona, New Mexico, New York, New Jersey, California, Texas, Illinois), a place I lived in was broken into once. That was in Tempe, AZ and my roommates and I had a TV and some cash stolen (this was long before there were such things as laptops).

Here in Cebu, our compound was broken into three times on consecutive nights, though the thief didn't get into any of the apartments -- he was scared off all three times. The cops suggested we put better barbed wire on top of the eight-foot walls. Everybody here has barbed wire, many have broken glass embedded in the top of the walls, larger places have their own security guards -- some armed with shotguns and automatic weapons.

The fact that that much protection is needed tells me that I was probably safer without it in the States.

Cebu?  Is that in the Phillipines?  Or is there a Cebu in Ecuador that I'm not familiar with?

I doubt there's one in Ecuador (if there is, I won't live there -- LOL).

Yes, I'm in the Philippines for now and planning to move to Ecuador later in the year.

Bo

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNiB_cHVpUuUs97YTCS80RHVEs4OPo9L_jwEbMmhCXtMbUsr0p

A 70 year old woman of nationality Belgian was found murdered in the Atacames. Two people are being held for questioning.

Atacames is a beach town located on Ecuador's Northern Pacific coast. It is located in the province of Esmeraldas.

Mela,
I am sorry to hear that about your son.

Keep in mind I am not posting crime stories because I necessarily think they are of greater incidence in Ecuador than in United States. My intention is to post stories that may be of interest to expats.

I donŽt why, but I had a gut-wrenching laugh after reading this post.

I suppose it partly had to do with the fact they put a disloser at the start of the post:

DISCLAIMER:  As is customary on this website, the article below depicts our experiences and not our opinions.  Please do not take this article as a personal rant. Our readers want to know the nitty-gritty of Cuenca-life. We are becoming quite accustomed to the way of life and these things are hardly ever an issue with us anymore.

Also, this ending paragraph was funny, in light of all the recent articles about complaining expats, includuing the charge from one reader that I am taking it all personally.:lol:

Remember to be patient with the Ecuadorians because after all, it is their way of doing things and they are used to it. When Norte Americanos become impatient, frustrated, and testy with the Ecuadorians it makes them look like the nasty gringos. And we don't think anyone would want a reputation like “the nasty gringo” going around in this beautiful country, which has been called paradise for the fourth year in a row, right?

Overall, I think their post was probably pretty accurate for the most part, although I have dealt with some Ecuadorians who responded pretty quickly to email.

I mentioned a few days ago that the "complaining expat" theme was  building steam off an article from Cuenca Higlife.

Picking up where Mr. Said left off, this article from Ecuador George is pretty funny. Here is an excerpt:

Club Cuenca

There is some scuttlebutt that a new expat club is forming in Cuenca to “take care of” these bad behaving gringos that are coming to Ecuador… Not sure if this is a club or an activist group… Not even sure if the story I read was serious or just written out of frustration. But how will this club work if this is true?

And Nancy in the comment section had an entertaining rant. Here is an excerpt:

Last week, at Supermaxi, another female expat was observed screaming at the woman at the checkout counter ordering her to speak English. The expat was informed that – this is my country and we speak Spanish here. The rumor going around is that one of the options about “What is the gov going to do about the gringos?” is to limit how many can have residency every year.

I got a response to my email to a lawyer in Ecuador in three business days, and one of those business days was a Friday.

Getting to the point where builders are discriminating against gringos in favor of the locals. A certain blogger SAID that this is the Ecuadorian way,that they are not bogged down with laws protecting everyone like in the USA, and any gringos that don't like it should get out. Sounds like paradise to me.

mugtech wrote:

Getting to the point where builders are discriminating against gringos in favor of the locals. A certain blogger SAID that this is the Ecuadorian way,that they are not bogged down with laws protecting everyone like in the USA, and any gringos that don't like it should get out. Sounds like paradise to me.

Dude....
they can't be too discriminating, hell, they sold to ME!!!
Go figger.

I was just reporting what an Ecuador Insider said.  This probably started when word got out they sold to you.

mugtech wrote:

I was just reporting what an Ecuador Insider said.  This probably started when word got out they sold to you.

Very likely so, Sir.
Kinda like the old saying,
" I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member "
sigh...

In that comment from Nancy above, she said that

A really unkind letter from an Ecuadorian was published this week in Captivating Cuenca

Anyway, I found it today. The title of the letter is

DO NOT RETIRE HERE! Sorry. We do not like many of you here :-(

Here is the link to the rest of the article, in case you havenŽt read it.

Good link, Nards, that was quite the letter and set of replies.  Do you wonder how deep and how widespread the resentment of locals towards gringos really is?  How realistic is it to think that national policy towards immigration would change to curtail gringo-caused inflation?  Is it really IL's fault that all these unknowing gringos are showing up to ruin the culture and economy?  Sounds like more gringos will mean bigger problems.  How long do you have to live there before you are no longer just a guest and actually a true resident?  It would seem after 5 years, when you get the right to vote, you should feel free to become part of Ecuador, not just a guest, to have a say in what happens.  Glad to know the locals don't mind taking tourist money, they just want to become like NYC  "a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."

mugtech wrote:

Good link, Nards, that was quite the letter and set of replies.  Do you wonder how deep and how widespread the resentment of locals towards gringos really is?

I can't comment on Ecuador, Mug, but the same attitude is present here in the Philippines. I think it's pretty much universal that, when a group of 'outsiders' -- large enough to be noticeable -- enters a place, they will create some level of resentment. We see it in the US, and I hear of it in Europe where Middle Eastern and African immigrants have settled (or even Eastern Europeans moving west).

Culture shock goes both ways -- the immigrant feels it, but so does the receiving culture. The effect is greater in a smaller city like Cuenca, I imagine, than in Quito or Guayaquil where the numbers of immigrants are a smaller portion of the whole.

mugtech wrote:

Is it really IL's fault that all these unknowing gringos are showing up to ruin the culture and economy?  Sounds like more gringos will mean bigger problems.

I enjoy making fun of IL's silliness, but if there's blame here, it should go to those who believe what they read without checking it out.

Also, if people move to Ecuador because they believe they can really live on absurdly small amounts, then they probably don't have enough money to cause lots of inflation.

mugtech wrote:

How long do you have to live there before you are no longer just a guest and actually a true resident?  It would seem after 5 years, when you get the right to vote, you should feel free to become part of Ecuador, not just a guest, to have a say in what happens.

Maybe an immigrant should have full rights after a long stay, but no matter how long I stay in Ecuador, I will never stop being a gringo in the eyes of the locals: I'm tall and white and my Spanish will never be all that good. Locals who resent gringos won't resent me any less just because I have a card in my wallet that says I can vote.

I just figure there are some people who won't like me. (shrug) They don't know what they're missing. ;)

Bob

You asked;
"How long do you have to live there before you are no longer just a guest and actually a true resident? "

Never. You will never be perceived as a local. I am a Northerner. We had traveled to the deep South as long as I can remember. We drove through Biloxi when the Freedom Riders were active, on our way to New Orleans. My parents bought a vacation condo in Gulf Shores Alabama. Over the years, many of their friends also bought in the same complex. It became known as The Minnesota Riviera. They owned there for over 50 years, and although they made very dear Southern friends, they were never considered locals. The economy loved the dollars that came in from the Northerners, but for the most part, that's as far as it went. Most from the deep South have a severe dislike of Northerners. It's an ugly fact, but it's true. Northerners don't feel that anger towards the South.
While some Gringos may make some deep friendships with Ecuadorians, for the most part, we'll probably be just tolerated.
I think  that we will always be seen as interlopers.
Not trying to sound negative, but facing the reality.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Most from the deep South have a severe dislike of Northerners. It's an ugly fact, but it's true. Northerners don't feel that anger towards the South.

OK, it's off-topic, I know, but I can't let this go.

Northerners may not feel anger toward southerners, but a great, great many feel contempt. I'm a westerner by birth, but I have lived in both the south (Texas) and the north (NYC and Chicago) and I've witnessed far more regional bigotry in the north. I've heard horrible things said by northerners against the south (e.g., 'in-bred bunch of rednecks', etc).

Bob

PS: Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Perceptions.... we all have them. I can only speak for my experiences over many years of travel to the region I mentioned. It spanned 50 years. I realize also that there are different cultures within  these borders that make up The United States.
I always wondered at the statement, " The South will rise again"
To do what, dominate the North? Still flying the Confederate flag?
I guess it's best to lay this to rest, as again, it's like arguing politics and religion.
Peace

Neil and Bob:

I agree with what you both said concerning the USA and how immigrants in Ecuador or anyplace else in the world will never be perceived as equal to the native born.  Acceptance could possibly start with the first generation born and raised there, but that's not the deal here, this is about retirement,not future generations.  My question was at what point can the immigrants act like residents rather than guests.  Although not perceived as equal, when can you start acting equal?  I would think once you start voting in Ecuador you should engage in politics, advocate certain positions,help change the country for the better.  Did you really retire to become a permanant second class less than citizen, accepting everything and anything just because it is their country? 

I have visited the Confederacy and know that "Damn Yankees" rarely refers to the Bronx 9.

I have spent time in the Philippines and like their attitude towards gringos much better.  They do not allow foreigners to own land and houses except in certain condo developments in which foreigners can only own 40%.  The ex-pats I know living there are not concerned about this law, and rather than seen as inflationary wreckers of the economy they are treated with respect for any generosity they show towards the workers and the poor.

Mugs,
I am a firm believer that we are at some point judged by who we are, and not for where we came from. I truly believe that if we interact with dignity and respect, we will garner the same in return. Certainly there will be core group that will never accept anyone out of their " group ", but, for the most part in my dealings in Ecuador, I was welcomed and treated well.
I hope that turns out to be the case when I re locate in 20 days. I think I'll always act as a guest, as it's so obvious I'm not a native. But, I hope in time I'll be considered a good citizen.
Stay Well,
Neil

I think you will do well Neil because you realize you never get a second chance to make a first impression.  And you will reap what you sow. 20 days for goodbyes and 20 years of a new good life.  Hope you have the time to tell us about your adventure.

mugtech wrote:

Do you wonder how deep and how widespread the resentment of locals towards gringos really is?  How realistic is it to think that national policy towards immigration would change to curtail gringo-caused inflation?

I do wonder, and think it is natural for some resentment. Of course, Gringos arenŽt taking anyoneŽs job, nor are they committing crimes on any large scale, so an occasional act of rudeness is minor in the grand scheme of things.  The truth is, many of the Ecuadorians are more concerned about the Columbians entering the country than they are the Americans. During the presidential campaign, some of the candidates were calling for tighter visa restrictions, because of crime being attributed to Columbians.

I donŽt think President Correa will curtail the policy. I saw political ads from his party promoting the fact the retired folks were coming here. Undoubtedly, the requirements for qualifying for residency will become more difficult over time, like it has in every other retirement destination.

mugtech wrote:

Is it really IL's fault that all these unknowing gringos are showing up to ruin the culture and economy?

Yes. IL and CuencaŽs bloggers :lol:, because many of them are trying to make money off of the the promotion of Cuenca, whether by selling Kindle books, DVDs, landing guides, apartment stays ect..  They will gladly accept money from these boorish, rude expat types, that they help recruit into the expat community.

mugtech wrote:

How long do you have to live there before you are no longer just a guest and actually a true resident?

When you are completely assimilated into Ecuadorian culture, which requires semi-fluency in Spanish, and a decent understanding of Ecuadorian history, and politics.  Of course, that means about one percent of the expat community will become true residents. I pulled that answer out of my ass, but seems reasonable.

Legally speaking, I have been told in 2-3 years of obtaining residency you can apply for citizenship. Apparently, there is NO exam for obataining citizenship, so you really donŽt need to know anything to be a citizen, beyond where to find the Supermaxi.

Thank you, Nards.  Good clarification of the situation.
I am surprised it is so easy to become a citizen, most places make you take a test in the native language to demonstrate a proficiency in same.  My wife had to answer 5 questions to become an American citizen.

mugtech wrote:

My question was at what point can the immigrants act like residents rather than guests.  Although not perceived as equal, when can you start acting equal?  I would think once you start voting in Ecuador you should engage in politics, advocate certain positions,help change the country for the better.

I don't plan to ever engage in politics in Ecuador, beyond maybe someday voting. I will probably sometimes express my opinions, but only privately. As for changing the country for the better -- I hope my economic contribution does that, and I may also volunteer my services where I think I can do some good.

I have visited the Confederacy and know that "Damn Yankees" rarely refers to the Bronx 9.

I've lived in the north and heard slurs about southerners marrying their sisters and many, many people using terms like 'redneck' and 'hillbilly'. But enough about that.

I have spent time in the Philippines and like their attitude towards gringos much better.  They do not allow foreigners to own land and houses except in certain condo developments in which foreigners can only own 40%.  The ex-pats I know living there are not concerned about this law, and rather than seen as inflationary wreckers of the economy they are treated with respect for any generosity they show towards the workers and the poor.

I hope it works out for you. Most expats I know here feel that we are discriminated against by the police and courts, cheated in the markets (just like Ecuador, apparently), frequently targeted for crime, and seen by the general population as walking ATMs.

As for engaging in politics here, I'd recommend against it. In some areas it can be rather dangerous. But besides that, Filipinos are highly nationalistic and don't appreciate outsiders (and we are always outsiders) telling them how to do things.

By the way, the term here isn't gringo, it's Kano. It's the shortened form of Amerikano, but it's applied to all non-Asians (to the annoyance of the Brits, Aussies, Germans, etc).

Bob

You are correct about what you say concerning the Philippines, Bob. I intend to visit but not move there, would never get involved in politics in the PI.  I have a Filipina wife and family to help protect me from the other abuses you mentioned, and I have seen that.  I love staying out of sight when my wife goes shopping so she can avoid paying American prices.  The ones who know my wife refer to her as Mrs White.  I used gringo because this is the Ecuador forum.
     One would think Americans would be better accepted in Ecuador than in the Philippines, for the USA never ruled Ecuador for 47 years nor did the USA kill hundreds of thousands in defeating a rebellion for freedom as in turn of the 20th century Philippines.  What I am saying is the Philippines is smart enough to not allow their land to be bought up by foreigners, maybe Ecuador should follow suit while it still can.

mugtech wrote:

I love staying out of sight when my wife goes shopping so she can avoid paying American prices.

My late wife was Filipina, as well, and we had a similar arrangement when visiting here. When we went to the market together she'd tell me (nicely) to get lost. With me around she lost all her haggling leverage.

Bob

Sorry to hear that your wife is deceased.  Ya gotta wonder if the same arrangement would work in Ecuador.  Did you consider checking out Ecuador Cupid or some other way of getting to know a native?  Seems she would come in handy on those cold nights in your heaterless bedroom, plus an excellent way to learn Spanish.  I say this because I have no desire to retire and grow old by myself, wonder what it would be like in Ecuador.

There was a lot of chatter resulting from a recent announcement by GringoTree that McDonalds was opening a restaurant soon.

Personally, I donŽt care one way or the other. However, since I will pass it on my way home from El Centro, I am sure I will occassionally get something to take home with me, especially if they have healthy alternatives, like salads. While I like a Big Mac combo as much as the next guy, I am trying to eat better.

My guess is the restaurant will be tastefully designed and be consistent with some of the Spanish architecture around Cuenca. I donŽt know if that is a requirement outside of El Centro, but I think it will be to their advantage to do so.

When I lived in Atigua Guatemala for about year, some 8 or 9 years ago, there was both a McDonalds and a Burger King. They were a few of the places I could go to eat, without worrying about stomach sickness afterwards. From the outside, they looked like any other colonial building in Antigua; and inside, McDonalds had a killer outdoor seating area. Take a look.

http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slides/ta00/c92/3e2/antiguan-mcdonalds-antigua-guatemala.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/501043176_736cef4a73.jpg

Thank you so much for this blog. I am 'remotely' considering visiting Ecuador and for further consideration to moving there.  But I am scared to death! And have to have my cats with me. I lived in Spain (school) and loved spanish people and was once fluent.   (back in 1972)
This blog is reminding me of that love for spanish culture. Frankly can't afford my retirement here in the US. Plus other "stuff" (crime, health insurance etc..)  I do have social security and an pension and health insurance here.

In reviewing the prices, real estate etc. appears much better than Spain.
I would love to communicate with others - email for more input.  Yes, I read all the comments and blogs I can.
Again, thank you for this information; and love seeing pictures!

Nice.  Does Ronald McDonald speak Spanish?