Family Friendly Neighborhood in Barcelona

Hi,

Myself, my husband and my 3 year old daughter are considering a move to Spain from Ohio, USA in the near future.  Can anyone give me insight as to which neighborhoods are the most family friendly in Barcelona?  I was also interested in sending my daughter to preschool and would like recommendations regarding that as well.  My primary goal for her at school is to learn Spanish through immersion.  Thank you for your advice in advance.

Jennifer

Hi, Jenifer,

It's said that the left upper Northern part of Barcelona is better and it's a rich zone with more facilities and less population.

Cheers,
Ying

I would say that almost the whole city is family friendly if you are thinking of convenience stores, parks, neighbours, proximity to schools etc. It is true that the city is organized by economic status and the most expensive is not necessarily the most family friendly.
About the schools, in Catalonia, the education is in Catalan and Spanish language is a subject among the other ones. Most of the subjects are taught in Catalan too. This does not mean that children do not learn Spanish as Spanish is used in the playgrounds and TV and streets. That issue is a bit spiky here. I don't know about the foreign schools, but they are in foreign languages plus Catalan and Spanish I guess. Ask someone else about the possibility to choose school if the school you want is not close to your home.
The old city is a bit rough for families, the seaside can have beautiful areas like Vila Olimpica. Closer to the mountain there are some popular areas like Nou Barris or Horta and more expensive areas like Sarria, Sant Gervasi, Pedralbes.
The Eixample can be interesting but it is quite dense so can be far from green areas.
Well, define a bit more your question so the answers can be more focused. There is a difference between if you are looking for a full private school and the company is helping, and if you are moving by yourselves in a more popular mentality to get integrated with the local people, a quite tough enterprise.

My family and I are interested in moving to Barcelona (outskirts really) and we are wondering how to connect to other expats there?  Also, how can we get daycare for our 2 kids (4 and 2).  We are thinking that Sarria-Sant Gervasi, Pedrables, or Sant Jusdesvern are the places to look.  we didnt want to be in the heart of the city but near a train line, green space, and safe, walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc.

Any advice from expats, American or otherwise would be most welcome - thanks - Chris