Self-employed Australian looking to move to Berlin

Hello everyone; I'm new here so please be gentle! :)

I'm 20 years old living in Australia, and have established on online business based around digital product development (~$40k annual revenue). I generate most of my income via foreign clients, which requires certain tax issues to be considered (tax residency, withholding tax, VAT, etc.)

I'm registered as a sole trader in Australia (have an ABN, TFN) and do all of my business online via a laptop.

Currently I'm considering moving overseas, to Berlin, for at least 12 months (probably longer). My biggest concern is the implications this might have with my business. I have no idea what to expect or what to consider. I'm literally clueless.

I'm looking for some insight as to what an overseas move would involve in this respect.

Does anything with my tax change? How will I even lodge tax? Do I pay German tax or Australian tax? Do I maintain an Australian-registered business? What's up with that health care fee I keep reading about? Are there other "hidden" fees I should know about before moving?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Matthew

Hi Matthew!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi do u have german clients,because if u get 3 people to employ u or confirm urwork for them, u can get a business visa and then go to a normal tax consultant, if u earn less than 16.000 or 18.000e u won t pay

Hi Matt,

Firstly, what a mental plan, but OK whatever, I'm sure you've got good reasons for picking Berlin right?

I'm a freelancer in Germany, I married a German here (so things were a bit easier) but let me tell you what I know.

You will be Selbstandlichtatig. That's self employed. In fact, you'll probably even be "Freiberuflich" that's freelancer. Tell me you speak some German or the Auslanderbehoerde (foreigners/ imigration office) will tear you a new one.

Ok us Aussies get to land here for nothing. Easy. You're young enough that you might consider a working holiday visa. Organise this with the consulate in Sydney if you can before you leave. The important thing to remember is that you can apply when you get here, so don't panic.

Right, you need a full business plan (including KPI's), proof of customers here, and health insurance for the duration of your stay. I had travel insurance from TID. This is an excellent option if you're not here permanently, because it covers your liability. This is something you need too.

All of your documents need to be translated into German. These guys are no centrelink, they aren't offering you multilingual services. Its German or bugger off. They like it that way. The magic word for translation is Dolmetscher. But there's sites in English recommending English-German translation. Get a certified translator. Not a freelancer anybody. That's important.

When you get here REGISTER with your local Rathaus. (That's like the local council chambers, and the golden word is Anmelden).

Ok. So from here you should be able to take it yourself.

Google Freelancing in Germany. That's the phrase that should offer you the most options. Oh, and there's 2 kinds of freelancers, artists and everyone else. Work out which category you fit into, because the rules are different.

And start learning German. ASAP!

Cheers
Good luck!

Lisa

By the way, I just noticed your post is a year old... did you ever make it over?