Retirement Income

Would someone kindly be able to clarify the required monthly income needed by a married couple retiring to SA. I have seen conflicting information requiring R15000, R20000 made up of pensions,investments annuities etc per month. In addition, requirements per month are for one or both applicants. Would be grateful for the low down on information surrounding this subject. Many tks

Hi Bass511

The answer to that question is going to depend completely on you: will you be retiring to live independently in your own apartment, or are you looking at moving into a retirement village where some of your services are provided (like a laundry, cafeteria, medical care etc)? Also, what sort of money will you be spending upfront? E.g. will you buy a secondhand car (with pricey petrol and insurance), do you need expensive private medical insurance and how much do you want to travel (flights and car rentals are not cheap)? My answer really is this: you'll have to make a budget for yourself based on exactly what sort of lifestyle you want to live.

R15 000 could be enough for both of you if you have modest living costs, rent your own apartment and don't have any loan repayments or expensive medical care.

Thanks for your e-mail. Think I may have confused the issue here I need to know what the government requires as an income per month. Retiring as permanent residents to SA R15000,R20000 per applicant or one applicant. Many thanks

Aah, I see. As luck would have it the Home Affairs website is currently undergoing an upgrade which appears to be running late (it should have completed on February 1), but I'd say that your best bet would be to look at it once it comes back online: http://www.dha.gov.za/

There should be some details there over a retirement visa and the requirements thereof. Good luck!