Cost of living in South Africa

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in South Africa.

Don't forget to mention where in South Africa you are living.

How much does it cost to live in South Africa?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

I have just purchased a house in Hoedspruit and while I will not be moving there full time for a couple of years, I do visit as often as possible and spend a month or two at a time there. I have found the prices of food items to be reasonable with the price of meat generaly being less than in the U.S.. The cost of automobiles is much more than you would pay in the U.S. but the utilities are quite a bit lower than for like usage in the U.S.. Overall the cost of living is less than in the U.S. and the cost of domestic help, if needed, is very low in S.A. as compared to the U.S.. The Hoedspruit area seems to have much less crime than the metropolitan areas and it has been easy to meet and become friends with the locals. All in all, I am looking forward to the time I can live there for the major portion of the year instead of the other way around. The climate is great, scenery outstanding and very good air quality. Match thoes things with the easy access to the nearby wildlife areas, secenic drives and cultural activities and there is not much left on my want list.

pls can you let me know how much it would cost to get a room in cape town now.i would be relocating next month and i wish to know.you can rely me to my e mail addy:[email protected]

i live in cape town

> accommodation prices -- if you want first-world living, be prepared to pay first-world prices [think miami or houston]

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...) -- buses and trains are fairly cheap, but the nanny brigade tends to pooh-pooh going on the trains. the minibus taxis are often cheaper than the buses; while the metered sedan cabs are generally first-world prices.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?) -- food is generally dirt cheap compared to first-worldy places

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) -- even if you don't use health insurance, it's dirt cheap here compared to, say, a country where people have to pay for medication

> eduction prices (if you need to pay) -- again, very cheap, for the most part; only the uber-exclusive schools would be considered expensive to other countries.

> energy prices (oil, electricity) -- they used to be dirt cheap, but now they're getting more in line with first-world prices

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) -- TELECOMS HERE ARE A RIPOFF. GOD, THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. be prepared to pay as much as 5 to 10 times what you are paying in first-world place, for slower speeds and worse service. it's really awful. it's more expensive in south africa than in many other places in africa, so don't let telkom say "this is africa." if they do in writing, direct them to the websites of ghana telecom, namibia telecom, orange senegal, or mozambique telecom. catch them in their lie.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant -- very cheap

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub -- very cheap

> price of the cinema -- pretty cheap

thx for the informations

South Africa is expensive! For a South African in any case:)

Way cheaper than Europe, not as cheap as China.

Here is my opinion of relatively good living in joburg will cost (plz note that there are people that live off way less than this and still have a good time, and this is also not my own expenses, just a ballpark figure)

Rent per month for a relatively nice place R5000
Food for one person:                       R1500
Entertainment and restaurants:             R3500
Health Care:                               R800
Cellphone:                                 R400
Car and Travel:                            R1600
Internet:                                  R350
One night out:                             R160
One good night out:                        R450
One night to a strip club:                 R1200
One weekend to Cape Town:                  R2000 excl Flights and assuming you find somewhere you can stay for free...

Good luck and don't be shy on spending those dollars here in SA

accommodation prices- R5000/ month for 2 bed. R1million to buy 3 bed townhouse

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)- safe public transport is currently being upgraded for the soccer world cup, so don't know prices yet. I really would not recommend taking minibus taxis as most of them are not roadworthy and the drivers don't have licenses. Only take the one's that have a sa flag design on the side.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)for my husband, myself and my 10 month old baby, we spend R6000 per month, but that includes all our toiletries and all her nappies and formula. We eat meat/chick/fish 6 days a week.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)- our med aid costs R3000, but it can cost up to R6000

> education prices (if you need to pay)- good public primary school R5000, good high school R20 000, excellent private school from grade 00 R28 000 to grade 12 R40 000

> energy prices (oil, electricity)- petrol R8/litre, most cars go 10 km per litre, electricity R800- R1200 per month according to month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) internet and cell phone very expensive, DSTV (like cable) R600 per month

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant 3 course meal R500 for 2 people. one course R150 for 2 people

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub R15 per beer or coffee

> price of the cinema R40 per ticket

Just way too expensive :-(

The information is very useful! The cost is close to the level in Shanghai, China.

What's the cost of renting an apartment in Johannesurg with the location between Sandton &  Roodepoort? The security should be good and good access to convenient tranportation. The apartment to include 2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and 1 bathroom. Any recommendation? My company is wanna rent one for frequent business trips for the staff.

Besides, any procedures or rules to rent the apartment?

Thanks!

:up:

i am debating relocating to sandton now, you should be able to get a 2 bedroom place for less than 10k a month quite easily.

Agree. Just found a 2bedroom 1 bathroom, for 7.5Kzar in Sandton.

Hi All!

Thanks for participating actively in collecting and sharing data on the cost and standard of living in South Africa.

Regards
Sheetul

I haven't tried it... But is there anyone their no really how much is the cost of living in South Africa specially near [Moderated- No free advertising] or even in north Africa? So that i will have idea if i will transfer there... Thanks in advance...

christophermchale wrote:

i am debating relocating to sandton now, you should be able to get a 2 bedroom place for less than 10k a month quite easily.

Property in Sandton has always been popular. It is the shopping mecca and financial heart of the Johannesburg metropol, and living in or around Sandton, is therefore a priority for many. But recently it has become even more popular.

finding average prices on accommodation can be difficult because there are so many different deciding factors:

places like gumtree you can find a lot of student sharing and room sharing listings for low monthly rentals averaging R500 +, whereas property listing sites like (moderated: no free ads) lists flat and apartment rentals usually from about R1300 and up.

I am compiling a list of average accommodation types and prices per suburb that I will list shortly.

Since november 2010 and March 2012 i have noticed that prices in south Africa have if not double at least encreased by at least 50% specially food !! I live in Durban. Restaurants are still cheap comparing to Europe.I noticed in England that there are different supermarkets and a variety of prices on same stuff so allowing people to either shop say in ASDA,(cheap prices) or WAITROSE,(expensive) bottled water prices varies from £ 0.19 up to anything. Here in South africa we do not have a choice, we have to buy what they suply us with.Monopoly is the norm.
House prices are very reasonable due to the economic situation, but....crime is rampant and very serious thing to consider when coming to our country.

Hi There,

Can somebody please help me to understand the Safty precautions to move in Johannesburg with family?

thanks

Hi Lieberlucky!

You are off topic here! I suggest that you create a new thread on the South Afica forum.

Regards
Armand

Oh dear, u got no idea how long IŽve searched for a forum like this.

Thx to everybody who posted the living costs.

And I got another question. Is it cheaper to find a place in town (could also be shared) or staying at the campus?
IŽm going to be a student next year.
Applying for Cape Town, PE, Grahamstown and Durban.

Thx ;) have a great day.

Hi Nobuhle, and welcome on board !

I guess it's worth a new discussion on the forum ;)

accommodation prices

> public transportation fares R10-R25
> food prices R2000 for a family of 6
> health prices R2880 for 6 people
> education prices ()

> energy prices pay for what you use i.e. its prepaid
> common bills (Internet R129, television R200 per year, telephone, mobile phone pay pay for what you spend. )

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant R20-R80

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub R10

> price of the cinema R150 for 2 people tickets and refreshments included

I live in Katlehong a township east of Johannesburg.

In Cape Town:
Average costs..
Cost of a flatshare will be anywhere from R2500 to R4500
Cost of an average meal at a restaurant R50-R75
Glass of wine at a restaurant between R20-R35
Lunch take out is between R20-R50
With the exception of alcohol, unless you are buying food for a whole family, the cost of groceries is often more expensive than dining out.
Petrol currently about R10 litre

Used cars are expensive! I bought a 10yr old Hyundai accent for R40K. Please be careful when purchasing a car, there are a lot of scams going on. Make sure to get a roadworthy certificate included in your purchase, no exceptions.

Clothes - obviously depending on your style and taste. If you go a bit upmarket like Woolworths you could spend anywhere from R150 (on sale) and up for jeans. T-shirts are about R50 and up.

Haircut at a mall is about R250

I earn quite a bit less here than I did in Canada but I'm able to live more comfortably here. Mostly because the rent is cheaper as is going out.

wow, you are being ripped off yaelie. lulz. i can almost guess where you live, just from the prices you're paying for everything. lulz.

Hello Every one
i need to know what the living expences in johhnsberug with my wife and two kids ( 4 and  8 years old) accomdation,school,rent etc.
thank you

Hi Guys;

I need to know how is the best place for a live in Johannesburg. I have a wife and 2 Children (5 and 10 years Old), accomodation, school, rent, etc

Reagards

You can live in sandton, as its the most safe area in johannesburg but it is really expensive
You can find firnished one with 2 rooms from 10 000 to 15 000 rands per month

Anothet good place to stay in as per the schools is parkmore, same rent as above

Food is not expensive, you must get a car, never take a taxi, not safe, very expensive, try to rent a car from AVIS and take it from the airport.

Monthly rates for cars are way better

Maybe its little late for my answers to you but i have just joind the website :)

Cheers

Hello!! Can anybody refer to cost of living in Durban? My husband has a job offer there and we consider to move in a few month, but I wish to know about safety, cost of living (range of prices for usual things), rent... His work will be close to Durban City Hall, will be possible to find a flat close? Thank you very much!!

South Africa(SA), and within each of its many provinces exists great diversity.  The income of individuals and families dictate the lifestyle.  Yes, one can adjust oneself to enjoy life in SA, irrespective of financial woes.

Ours is a beautiful country, offering so much, including vast open fields, mountains, oceans, wild life, clear skies... much beauty that does not cost anything to enjoy and appreciate.

However, city life in particular does pose many challenges.  Life can get tied up in knotts if one is not very carefull.

High costs of property,  added cost of security due to unfortunate crime, medical costs,  cost of eating out and food in general is much steeper than most other countries i have visited.
Most locals are still struggling to level the playing field in terms of education and job opportunities.
That being said, doors have opened for many others and they are enjoying the benefits. So, one has to just dive in and swim, swim , swim...

I moved to Sandton, Jo'burg about 10 days ago, here are my views on prices here so far compared to living in the South East of the UK:

accommodation prices - Cheaper

public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...) - A lot cheaper but quality is poor. Gautrain is very cheap and first class though.

food prices - Groceries seem to be similar, except for fresh fruit which is cheaper.

health prices (for those who need medical insurance) - Had a doctors checkup which cost me R400 (about £35), R440 for an x-ray (work visa checks)

eduction prices (if you need to pay) - Sorry no idea

energy prices (oil, electricity) - Cheaper than UK. Petrol in UK is currently about £1.37 per litre, here it works out to approx just under £1 a litre

common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) - early days for me but internet seems cheaper - might be because service isn't great all over the place.

prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant - Cheaper. Eating out has worked about a quarter to half of what I'd pay in the UK so far

prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub - depends on local beer or imported. Windhoeck is a good local beer, quite cheap too :-)

price of the cinema - WAY cheaper. tickets cost £10 upwards in UK, here they are R40 which is about £3.50!! Bargin

Dear Friends,

Good to share such information, by the way one can tell me clearly the following details as i planned to reach South Africa early on September 2012.

1.Good place to live with low living cost
2.House rent per month (single room)

Also I would like to know foreigner security in SA

Is there any segregation between indigenous and foreigners? 

In my country we use to pay house rent yearly or every 6 month what the condition in SA?

Thank you

kwerekwere wrote:

wow, you are being ripped off yaelie. lulz. i can almost guess where you live, just from the prices you're paying for everything. lulz.

No no, thats very reasonable and absolutely accurate. The costs quoted are for the average middle-class suburbs and cities, with the average middle-class lifestyle. A good and safe way of living, without too many frills...

useful infos!

Hello Everybody,
I am g s gowshan presently working in Saudi Arabia. I interested to come south Africa, so please tell me, can I move freely in all places or any restriction, threating are consider for stranger and How much cost required for 3 months live in  South africa.
3 months single room rent, food, public transportation.

[Moderated: Not a dating website]

Its way cheap in comparison to the western world and south america. You can buy a massive steak at a super-market for 6$ and a beer for 0.7$

Check out www.numbeo.com for cost of living

One can not compare prizes in $ - WE DON'T GET PAID IN DOLLARS!

Hello Annievdm -> Maybe you could share some informations with local prices. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi guys,

Have been tracking your invaluable advice to many an expat on living in SA and I hope to gain from the same. Need some help on firming up my decision to make a move to Johannesburg in a couple of months.

What's a good salary a) for a family of 4 with kids aged 10 and 6. b) living in a fully furnished 3-bedroom flat in a gated community in a suburb like say Midrand, c) private school for kids d) car on rent on a monthly basis or buying one. e) Taxes, insurance to be borne by me. Look forward to a prompt reply. Thanks and have a nice day. Cheers!