Driving in Cairo

Hi all,
I live in England and I plan to have a short holdiay in Cairo, I have a UK driving Licence . Can I just get an international driving permit from UK post office?

Hello ALAN-PORTSMOUTH.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, do not hesitate to read the other threads on Cars Cairo, Transportation in Cairo .

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks my dear

Well i dont recommend you drive in cairo at all since you are staying here only for a short period of time. It is really hard to drive in cairo as traffic here is not organized. You'll get stressed easily just by driving. I recommend you take the white cab here cuz they have meters

When I have friends visit and can't take time off work I just hire a car and english speaking driver through the travel agency that I use.  It's worth the cost (and the cost is minimal compared to renting).  You should also rent a mobile phone so that the driver can drop you where you want to go and come pick you up when you're ready.  If you rent a car you'll spend most of your time being lost or trying to find a parking place.  You'll enjoy your holiday much, much more using a car and driver.

don't drive here, it's insane and you will end up freaking out. You are better off hiring a private driver.

Also please note that there are no laws or regulations that the drivers here obey. It's literally a free-for-all and everything goes. So I'd think twice before attempting it.

you can but you will lost your time and become nervous