Moving to Gib with young family in Jan13 - Help!

Hi forum, new member so go easy on me!!

I have accepted the offer of a new job in the finance industry based in Gib, so will shortly be moving out with my wife and three children.

Looking for some help and support in getting set up out there from anyone whos been through similar process recently. We currently live in Scotland and will be renting out our house here and renting an apartment in Gib.

Have been out a couple of times through the recruitment process and so we have a feel for the areas that we like and so when the right 3 or 4 bed place comes along hopefully we should be able to secure something. One problem is that we wont know as yet whether we will need to be taking out all out furnishings with us as depends on what we can find out there.

It would be really useful if anyone had any info on the general setup process when we get out there (in order we can plan for it before we go. for example, whats best to do for mobile phones for my wife and eldest daughter? how do we get broadband etc setup (need the essentials working early!!), can i buy a car out there (is there such thing as hire purchase agreements?) etc etc.

Any help and or responses welcome.

Many thanks

Welcome to Expat.com bossman13!

Hope that other members will share their experience with you soon.;)

Good luck,
Harmonie.

Hi Bossman,

I relocated to Gib from Edinburgh a couple of years ago and I am happy to help if I can.

Most properties are rented out furnished, so consider this before you take any furniture with you. It will be difficult to find any storage (or even self-storage) as space is very limited.

There's an import duty, if you bring your car. This can be quite expensive. Hire purchase might be a good idea.

My letting agent set up all the utilities and internet for me. I am happy to recommend them if you're interested. Broadband took just a few days to get it installed. Not so, water supply (I am not kidding!) and electricity, depending the estate/development you're gonna move in.

Mobile, just contact Gibtelecom. Note, handsets are not included in a price plan.

Wish you a happy relocating.

Hi,

I relocated to Gibraltar in January 2012 so can advise on broadband/mobiles.

Both are through Gibtelecom as they are the only service provider but they are pretty efficient. Broadband took about a week, we bought a dongle from Gibtelecom which we used before we got around to setting up the broadband which we topped up as and when. Broadband is more expensive in Gibraltar but it's efficient. you might be best to unlock/bring your mobiles from Scotland get a Gibraltarian sim card.

Good luck with the move :)

Ola

I moved out here 13 months ago from Paisley with my two kids!

I currently still run with my UK PAYG, topping up online.  Many people keep their UK numbers.  I also have a PAYG sim from Gibtel.  Last week the only other phone company went into administration I believe so phone, internet etc can only go through GIBTEL. 

We arrived on a Friday, went to see them, came out with two SIMS and by the following Wednesday, out phone line and internet connection were up and running. 

Admittedly we had to call them out a month later but the service on the whole is brill, they set up your router and everything.

Kind regards

Hi I konow this is an old post but are there any family's moved to Gibraltar from Glasgow? Or anyone who is in a similar situation to us. I'm am 34 married, a Make Up artist / beauty therapist and my husband works as a tiler. We have 1 little girl of 4 and a baby on the way. We want a new life, more outdoor and just a but sunnier! I am wondering how hard it would be to relocate, find employment and start over again. Am I mad to think we could even do this????? And if we could where do we even begin???? Any comments or advice are greatly appreciated