Smoke Shops in Cuenca?

Do smoke shops exist in Cuenca that sell pipe tobacco?

No, finding pipe tobacco in Ecuador is difficult if not impossible.

I have researched for online tobacco stores  but all say that they cannot ship to Ecuador. I'm hoping to find some way to get pipe tobacco once a make the move there.

I found some very expensive pipe tobacco in a smoke shop in one of the big malls in Guayaquil. If I remember correctly a 1.5 oz pouch was $15.

I have had no difficulty bring several pounds in my luggage on each return trip from the States.

Thanks Retired_Poppi, thats just what I was hoping to learn. I was beginning to think that there was some sort of prohibition against pipe tobacco that would prevent even bringing it into the country. But if I can bring it in my luggage that would be ok. 

Speaking of the smoke shop in the mall in Guayaquil do you remember if they had a selection of tobaccos or just one brand?

The pipe tobacco that I saw in Guayaquil was typical US Drugstore type. They had a copuple of brands, I think one was Captain Black.  I did not see any bulk.

I used to smoke a lot of CB. Guess I could live with it again if that is all thats available. But $15 for a pouch is about 3 times what it is in drug stores in the states. I guess pipe smoking is rare in Ecuador. I don't understand the restrictions on ordering from online stores in the states.

Ecuador has very high taxes on imported tobacco and alcohol, and prohibits importation by individuals.  There are some domestic cigars at reasonable prices.

rayjones50 wrote:

I have researched for online tobacco stores  but all say that they cannot ship to Ecuador. I'm hoping to find some way to get pipe tobacco once a make the move there.

Hi, I know of an online store that will ship to Ecuador. I use them all the time for herbal remedies.

I could link you if you are still in need. :top:

Yeah sure I'd like to have the link. Thanks

Glad to see somebody talk about what seems to be a taboo topic. We are cigarette smokers and was hoping someone could tell us the price of a local pack of whatever size they are sold in. Also, what are the local laws regarding smoking in restaurants, bars, etc.

Bryan

Bryan,
I know I saw Marlboro Reds there. Same size packs as in US. The Marlboros just stood out to me. Sorry, I can't tell you the price. I was very surprised at the lack of smokers in Cuenca. I had thought of Ecuador as a big smokers country. Not so. Very few smokers. I went for days with out seeing anyone smoking. When I mentioned it to a gal that we met, a local, she said the cost was prohibitive for the locals.
Hey, this could be what spurs you to quit. My wife said I was the last person on earth she thought could quit. Camel straights for 30 years, two packs a day! Quit em' cold over 20 years ago. Not preachin' friend, just a positive thought for you. < BG >
Stay Well,
Neil
PS. Oh, I went to a hypnotist ( twice ) was on the gum a number of times, and the patch a number of times. I know it's tough. Hardest thing I ever did. But, the last time was easy. It's the mental aspect. I was finally ready.

As for pipes I am basically a hobbiest. I smoke for the fun and pleasure of it rather than a dependency. I have several really nice pipes including some expensive custom made pipes. I really have no desire to quit.  Being able to acquire decent tobacco is an important consideration yet not a deal breaker.

Ray,
I ride with a guy that is HUGE into pipes. He has them from all over the world. He goes to conventions all over the US, and I know he also has been to Germany, England and Swizerland.
It seems he smokes cigars more frequently lately, but he still loves his pipes. I tried to switch over to pipes when I was in the service, in an attempt to cut back on the Camels. It just seemed like such a hassle with all the stuff I had to carry around. All the cleaning gear, and of course, the tabacco itself.
I still really enjoy the smell of a good pipe tobacco.... not so cigs.
Stay Well
Neil

Yep with all the paraphernalia it quickly evolves into a hobby more than a vice I think. To smoke a pipe to full enjoyment requires conscious effort and a little bit of technique on packing and tamping etc. also the quality of the pipe is everything . A well engineered pipe can cost $150 and up unless you can find a custom maker that is willing to sell his seconds at a discount . The primary benefit of a well made pipe is that they don't gurgle like a cheap pipe. And they stay lit better and the smoke just flows better.

Ray,
When I attempted to smoke a pipe, it was the drugstore
Dr Graybo (?) pipes for me. Maybe that had a bearing on my success at it. I know I'd heat em' up pretty good, and they'd get pretty bitter.

Lol,
No Grabos in my pipe rack :)

No hookas either:)

Ray, I am not sure about the experiences of other expats residing in Ecuador however when we first came seven years ago we packed as if we would never see the USA again. In reality  we return two to three times annually and bring back all sorts of things that make life easier.

There  are probably specifications on how much tobacco product you can bring in (as with liquor etc.) however customs is normally flexible as long as items are considered for personal consumption.

Ray, as retired military do you have access to the embassy commissary? I believe the marines have one here in Quito.

fdmcg wrote:

Ray, as retired military do you have access to the embassy commissary? I believe the marines have one here in Quito.

Probably so unless they have it rationed. If rationed then I may not.

Good People..I think this site is the best for honest answers I have come across after doing a lot of research. I don't expect anyone else to condone, endorse or approve of smoking. I am just looking for info on the price of a 20 pack of cigarettes and some of the basic smoking rules so we do not break any of them. The last thing we want to do, is offend anyone or break any laws or taboos.
   Bryan

fdmcg wrote:

Ray, I am not sure about the experiences of other expats residing in Ecuador however when we first came seven years ago we packed as if we would never see the USA again. In reality  we return two to three times annually and bring back all sorts of things that make life easier.

There  are probably specifications on how much tobacco product you can bring in (as with liquor etc.) however customs is normally flexible as long as items are considered for personal consumption.

I remember reading that the legal limit for bringing tobacco in ones luggage is 200 grams. That's just over 7 ounces. I've heard though that customs officials rarely ask about it anyway so my guess is that we could probably pack a pound or two of pipe tobaccy or a few cartons of cigs without problems.