Going Insane in Tripoli

Hey guys!

New to the forums here, joined out of necessity! I am literally going to go crazy here! Love the city of Tripoli and I think the people are amazing. But oh my god there is NOTHING to do here and I am getting massive withdrawal symptoms from no basketball.

Does anyone know of any expat groups that play basketball, or even just expat groups that meet up and do something other than drink coffee and talk politics?
If anyone has suggestions then let me know!

Hello VanillaDunk.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

I feel your pain!
It would be nice to join an Archaeological society of some sort. There are lots of places one could visit in Libya. Although I know security is still an obstacle.
A good idea would be if you were to join the gym, which is what I've done.
I wish someone would set-up a book club (no discussing of politics would be allowed!), I miss that, although I guess access to decent fictional books may be an issue!

not sure about bball but there is a concert to open the Italian cultural institute at al Wadan hotel tonight at 7:30 - you may find some potential basket ball partners there. i do know some guys get together and play football - not expats as such but english speaking libyans.

Hi,

I am sure that somewhere in tripoli we can play bball,
I have a friend (Libyan-american) how would love to play
I meet him with other expats to play tennis, so you are welcome to join us if you are interested;
I will see with him if we can manage to play bball.
We organized once an expat meeting in Corinthia hotel, & I hope we do it again so we can share more interesting things & subject toghether...

I am down for a book club @Khirea_UK. I have an e-reader that a download books (even from my public library back home)!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry for being late, but this brings me to another problem, WiMax! How do I get hold of one of these golden nuggets?! It seems impossible!

Challenger27, If you could private message me with your Libyan number regarding the basketball, I would very much appreciate it, I will give you a call and see what we can do. A book club sounds okay, but doesn't really fulfil my need for raw masculine exercise haha!

And I heard about the concert, was going to come but couldn't find any transport! But anyway if anyone has any more ideas keep me posted!

Peace out,

VanillaDunk wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry for being late, but this brings me to another problem, WiMax! How do I get hold of one of these golden nuggets?! It seems impossible!

Challenger27, If you could private message me with your Libyan number regarding the basketball, I would very much appreciate it, I will give you a call and see what we can do. A book club sounds okay, but doesn't really fulfil my need for raw masculine exercise haha!

And I heard about the concert, was going to come but couldn't find any transport! But anyway if anyone has any more ideas keep me posted!

Peace out,

I feel your pain - have been in Tripoli (Al Saraj) for a month now and boredom is also killing me

For Wimax as far as I understand no new wimax's are being sold till next year so the only way to get one will be to find someone willing to sell one sold before the revolution luckily i've got one (same with 3G/Internet sim cards I had to buy one from a friend of a friend for my iPhone which is very expensive compared to UK)

You can get usb sticks or a 3G phone/hub but they're next to useless

As for social life my next door neighbour (British) has been here twenty-years and he said for all intents and purposes the expat community doesn't exist anymore, I've been out for dinner several times to the Radisson and Corinthia and have hardly seen any europeans/americans etc..