ATM withdrawal

Is it possible to get US dollar when withdrawing money from an ATM in Saigon? If so where?

Thank you

Cam

The answer is short: No

I've got ANZ Bank accounts, MasterCard and Visa from Australia that my money from back there goes into every fortnight.
No ANZ Bank Branch that I've been to in Sai Gon will allow any 'counter' transactions at all. The only option is to get VND out of their ATM's, something nobody at the ANZ Bank back in Australia seemed to know anything about.
Only 'outside' cash I've seen is what the taxi drivers who have their own private collections or the security guards at my apartment have shown me. 
Have seen a couple of 'cash exchange' places - usually attached to airline companies,(VN Air)was going to try them myself in the near future for US dollars, travel money.

The last USD$/VND ATM's were the HSBC units in the New World, which were taken out years ago.

You have two choices to get USD$.

(1) Have a USD$ amount $1000 or more) transmitted by SWIFT (**ONLY**) transfer from your bank to a VN bank. You must establish a USD$ account in the bank of your choice after you have confirmed the money will be held in USD$ and that you can withdraw USD$. I use VietomBank, but, as I said, CONFIRM THE DEAL - even if it means sending an e-mail. The main branch in Quan 1 is the best as it has experienced staff. They also have a very good intra-VN transfer network.

Then the VN bank will give you the SWIFT instructions which you pass to your overseas bank branch.

(2) You can exchange USD$ (to/from VND) at a strip of jewellery merchants in TP HCM. Looking at Ben Thanh Market, these stores are located on Le Thanh Ton slightly to the right of the market.

No point in shopping for a deal, unless you are selling/wanting several thousand dollars, as they are all priced identically.

About 10 days ago the spread between buy and sell rates was VND55,000/USD$100.

AVOID Western Union, MoneyGram as their fees are very high (SWIFT is around USD$20 depending on amount) PLUS you need two ID that meet US requirements.

(moderated: defamatory comments)

If the amount is really large, such as in property purchases, I know people who have travelled by bus to Phnom Penh to pick-up transfers from overseas. The USD$ is legal currency in Cambodia/Kampuchea.

DAMN ! Only wanted a 'few' US green backs - for tips / bribe money while on a few days holiday away from Sai Gon with my 'BETTER HALF'  - -  We should have brought US$ back with us from trip to Angkor Wat last month ! :(

You an often get 'small', low value bills/notes from hotel door men, etc.

The money changers use USD$100 - new/good condition.